Help against Mech IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help against Mech IG

Hello, I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

I just introduced a friend of mine to 40k and he chose to go IG. we have been playing 750-1250 pt games and he has started loading up his field with vehicles. He's got at least 2 flyers (the ones with 3 lascannons) on the field every game and they seem to destroy any chance I have of getting my troops down the field. Any suggestions?

I have been fielding Berserkers and a khorn lord in a rhino(landraider for the bigger games) and noise marines w/ noise weapons for taking out his squads. and usually a obliterator or defiler.
    (I know it's not a wonderful list but Im also relatively new to the game and am still working on learning the strategy.)

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against high strength single target weapons utilize infantry. IE, Missle Launcher Havoks, they can absorb the lascannon shots with figures you don't mind losing, and have the same range as the lascannons and a decent penetrating chance. Maybe some melta guns on a squad of choosen.

Against mid strength area effect weapons utilize mechanized forces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Vendettas put out a large amount of fire but arent that survivable. Why they are so cheap for a 3 lascannon vehicle.

Long range anti light tank is your main focus. If hes packing his force with it then your facing hellhounds and variants, chimeras, vendettas and maybe basilisk or variants. Maybe even a sentinel or 2. In 1000pts you dont see too many Russ' except maybe one.

So stock up on Missile launchers like Narse said. Autocannons are brilliant for it sometimes.

I tend to use deepstriking termies, as you can get close and hopefully back armor. 4 combi plasmas in a squad of 5 is delicious sometimes. A lot of people put reapers in here though.

Getting a prince in close was our main anti armor at conflict along with the aforementioned termies and tended to be enough. Defiler wont usually last against vendettas but with first turn the St8 shot can work wonders, especially as you roll 2 dice picking the highest for AV and a 4 gets you a glance. stopping them shooting is sometimes all you need. We ran ours with 2 CCW's though.

Hope that helps. Good luck
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Obliterators FTW!

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Fight lascannons with lascannons. Your berserkers will make short work of his troops so the anti tank punch of a lascannon is preferred over a ML. You want to shoot at his tanks every time, and if you do, you might as well do it with the best anti tank we have. Put a squad of Havocs about 7-8 strong(to soak up a few casulties) in some cover with a good field of fire and force him to get within firing range/line of sight with your lascannon carying havocs. you can also take metlas but i personally think that havocs if they go anti tank they should be toting lascannons from a safe distance instead of getting close and using meltas. He will most likely aim for the melta carrying havocs if they did. Even in a rhino he has enough firepower to blow it up before you get within range.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Yea, Ive noticed that if I try to keep my anti-tank stuff on my tanks (raider/defiler) they are down (or at least immoble) by turn 2. I havn't tried havocs yet, I think I will look into them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

In my old gaming club, had a guy that would run a forgeworld steel legion army. Tons and Tons of tanks. I started dealing with them with deepstriking terminators and outflanking melta heavy chosen. They made his life HELL
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I'd second outflanking chosen & combi melta termy units as they're much cheaper than oblits and havocs with more uses.

Another option would be a warptime daemon prince with wings. Even if it moves fast you can reroll to hit - which is the hard part, but with rerolls you have about 30% chance to hit. Once hit, you have ~90% to pen and do some serious damage. 50% of the time it will go down, the other 50% will prevent it from doing more damage, both are good. Not only that, but by attacking in close combat you negate his moving fast invul save or any cover saves it may have if you were to shoot it.

The DP is tough enough to eat a few lascannon shots to the face and still keep going too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I give my DP bolt of change for a Good dose of anti armor.

If he moves fast he can not fire his lascannons, so this is a good outcome for you. Melta's biggest issues are range, trying to get close enough to a fast moving target is very hard, but it does stop the lascannons from firing.

Reading this thread shows me that my balanced list will have the same problem, Havocs seem like the best answer, 4 missile launchers, but how to fit them in, what do i get rid of?

Oblits are too expensive per shot, and besides possible cover are just as vulnerable to lascannons, while havocs are even more vulnerable, they are too cheap to be effectively shot this way, one squad of havocs will probably still be there after both vendetta's shoot them, with enough fire power to down one if they are not in a squadron, both if they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

While I don't play CSMs, the posts I'm reading about outflanking, etc, is dead on. At 1000 points, if he's going vehicle heavy, speed will be his downfall. You just need to outmaneuver him, flank everything you can, and split his fire.

Just a warning, though, if he ever starts to run Autocannon Platoons, keep your DPs safe, since Autcannons eat MCs up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast