1000 pts problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pts problem

heya guys,

Little help here, please. I need to make a 1000 pts list, for playing at my local GW store.
    They have a houserule that everybody uses a premade list.

so I need to make a couple of lists, but starting at 1000 pts. I always have a problem making a 1000 pts army, cause it's to few points for what I want to do.

how do you guys make an all round competitive (yet friendly play) army list? gimme some help, tips, anything. cause I just can't seem to get it right...

Chaos Gods bless you,

Reno

The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually jump on here and start stealing ideas until after about 3 months of sifting through it, I can build a list from the info I have stored in my head. I could tell you what everyone else uses (with few exceptions) But that would be boring.

Instead, I'll just give advice. Because, I have tons of chaos stuff that I never field... mainly because I don't get to play as often as I would like and I have a group of only 4 players that I ever play against. So far, I am dedicated to Khorne... I used Deamon Princes with Wings... I never use psyker powers as when I do purchase them, I forget to use them. Kharn is a much used HQ for me. 2-3 Squads of 8 Zerkers with Fists and 1 Power Weapon, Rhinos... Sometimes a squad of 4 Terminators with combi-plasma and a heavy flamer w/ 1 Fist. My single Defiler and single Predator. I have used a Vindicator or 2 before.
    On the other hand, I have an entire apocolypse size army that never gets used due to time constraints and just incomplete units... strangely enough, I enjoy modeling and painting almost as much as playing... mainly because it's all I ever get to do.

So after that long windedness... I would start with pick up 2 troops you really like... if they are 2 different troops, then take 2 squads of each... pick a HQ that matches these units. Make sure to pack 1-2 Hvy choices and then fill in the rest as you wish... for a well-rounded force.

For a more rewarding experience, I would pick a theme and comb the 'dex to fill out this theme... that is what I have done with my current used force... most of what I have, I picked up before taking the 3 months to explore the possibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's the problem, I like too much. I love all 4 cult troops, hate the normal CSM. but there too expensive too build a force of on 1k pts. I want three troops minimum, but with troops of 300 pts including a rhino you're done pretty fast.

I really worship obliterators, and vindicators. on 1k, I'd use at least 1 vindicator, preffbly 2. I like raptors, but I just can't find a way too properly field and use them. there too expensive, and not scoring. bikers, imo, are the worst unit we have. way to expensive for what they do.

I love chosen. I always load them with special weapons, in a rhino and have em outflank my opponent. works out pretty nice. but again, no scoring unit and quite expensive.
    termi's are ok, especially with MoN. but on 1k, there too expensive I think, cause you also need the means to get them where they need to be. and since I can't affort a landraider...

I just don't know....
    Last edited by Renosaurus; May 14th, 2010 at 10:38.
    The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that is a bit of a problem... I guess the best thing I can tell you is that you can't love everything in a 1K game... use your MOST favorites... although, that might get you some big losses... especially if you want 3 scoring units and hat CSMs...

With that being said, here are two of my lists for you to look through:
    Khornate in nature...
    Kharn
    Terminators x4 Heavy Flamer & PowerFist, 3x Combi-Plasma & 1 PowerFist
    Khorne Zerkers x8 (to ride w/ Kharn)
    Khorne Zerkers x9, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Land Raider w/ Possession
    997 pts.

This one is more infantry based...
    Kharn
    Chosen x5 IoCG, 2x Melta, 3x Flamer, Rhino
    Khorne Zerkers x8, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Khorne Zerkers x8, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Havocs x5 IoCG, 4x Plasmagun, Rhino

Not exactly great for dealing with all comers but... two lists that are very fun for me. Bringing the Raider at 1K is excellent for me as my main SM opponent has quite a smaller selection than I do... it's very, very difficult for him to be able to deal with a raider at that point lvl... that and when it disgorges Kharn and Co. into his front lines, it's just about game over for him =)

For more of an all-comers list, go with a Deamon Prince with wings (psykic power at your discretion but Lash and Warptime are faves)
    Load up on 3 CSM squads with fist, 2x special(usually melta) and Rhino, Icon of choice
    Then go for chosen or Termies... For Heavies, can't really beat Defilers IMO.

DP w/ Wings
    Chosen x5 in Rhino w/ IoK 2x Melta 3x Flamer
    2x CSM @ 10 Champ, Fist, 2x Melta, IoCG, Rhino
    Deflier w/ 2 DCCW
    comes out to 980... you can find something for those 20 points... but that has it all... hard hitting HQ, Chosen to infiltrate/outflank to bust tanks and handle the supporting infantry with 3 flame templates (ouch!), 2 full scoring units that can handle tanks and infantry alike and are good in CC, and of course, the defiler... a walking battle cannon that can wreck all hell in CC. That is about the best I can do for you there as far as competitiveness, and keeping the things you love... at 1K, sacrifices do have to be made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally with 1k armies i find that once i have an hq and a couple of troop choices i'm left looking at throwing in some heavy support and that's more or less it. In the case of chaos i'd probably go with something along the lines of:

HQ#155
    Demon Prince +Wings +Slaanesh +Lash

HS#440
    Vindicator +Demonic Possession
    Vindicator +Demonic Possession
    Defiler +DCCWs

TR#360
    5x CSM +1melta +icon of chaos glory +Rhino +t/l bolter
    5x CSM +1melta +icon of chaos glory +Rhino
    5x CSM +1melta +icon of chaos glory +Rhino

The chaos glory icons are pretty much all i could find to spend the final 30-35 points on, and with units that small you may well be taking a few morale checks I'd be tempted to drop one of the troop choices, maybe DP on the vindis and look to throw in some deep striking termies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I think you are spending too much on HS. at 1000 points stretching to 3 scoring units is hard, but by stretching it as you have likely only 1 or none of them will make it to the end turn. better to have 2 survivable troops than three sacrifice units. the way most people deal with cult troops is to drop numbers, 8 berserkers instead of 10 CSM. 7 Plague marines instead of 10 CSM. 8 noise marines, 1k Sons are a little too expensive and situational for an all comers list.

In General a Power fist in every unit is a good thing, charging your units with a high toughness walker or armor can remove them from the game if you only have CCW or Power Swords. The hardest thing to work in for me is Long Range anti tank. if you are running rhinos you need armor to pull the anti tank fire off them, your vindicators can do that, but they just do not really have range, so i prefer battle cannons and TL las cannon weilding Dreads, but your mileage may vary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading all of this, and using my own healthy brain (or trying to), this is what I came up with.

tell me what you think...

Sorcerer Lord 125
    MoS, LoS

2X 8 csm 170
    Ac: pf, melta gun 205
    1X Rhino

8 khorne berzerkers 248
    Sc: pf
    Rhino, db

2 vindicators 250

998 pts

I like defilers, but I usually end up taking vindicators. there 25 pts cheaper, and there weapon is better. with an effective range of 30" you'll get the shot where you want it most of the time, and with ap2, 2+ saves are no problem.

it really is a shame 1k sons are to expensive. there very nice to have, as more then 30% of all armies have SOME meq in it. with one squad, you can wreak havoc in all marine armies. but with a sorcerer pushing to 100 pts to get him effective, you can't really field them effective at 1k.
    Last edited by Renosaurus; May 15th, 2010 at 00:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just prefer Defilers to Vindies... But playing CC Khorne does that to a person... I'm all about getting in your face and tearing you apart. Has worked really well for me so far. Of course, since my opponent doesn't have much in the way of Heavy Support models, he litters the field with terrain, making the effective range of my Vindies back down to 24" for indirect fire.

+ Reply to Thread