Thinking about starting daemons - Dos and Don'ts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Thinking about starting daemons - Dos and Don'ts?

Right, when I got the last of my Necrons into paint (its very, very near...) I might try my hand with some daemons. I was thinking of starting out with hordeish assault-army. However, being a total noob with daemon codex I have very little ideas on what to take and what not to take. So, I think you long-time daemon players can help with this:

What units should I definitely take? (as in, what is so good you should never pass it)

What units should I definitely not take? (what is overpriced, obsolete or just plain bad)

What units work best if I intend to go heavily into assault theme?

Oh, one more thing... I was thinking Khorne/Tzeetch/Slaanesh, I don't feel I have the painting/basing skills to make Nurgle really shine (or rot, as it may be) and also I'm more inclined to try something fast and vicious instead of the steady advance of Nurgle.

Thanks in advance.

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Good units
    HQ: Herald of Tzeentch on chariot, Legion, Sorcery and bolt. Guo with Flies. Keeper of secrets with pavine and grenades
    Elites: 6 Feinds with strength upgrade. 6 Crushers with all 3 upgrades. 3 Flamers
    Troops: Horrors with changeling, Plague bearers
    Fast: none really
    Heavy: Prince of Tz with bolt. Prince of Nurgle with Hide, Nox, Gaze, Flies. Soul grinders with Phlegm if you take 2-3 of them. Dont take one on its own.

Poor Units
    HQ: Herald of nurgle or Khorne. Masque unless you also have fateweaver.
    Elites: Beasts of Nurgle
    Troops: Daemonettes are very vulnerable.
    Fast: Furies

For an assault heavy army take a mix of fiends and crushers with a cheap HQ and use horrors or PBs as scoring objective holders. Cheap MoT Princes with bolt will give you some antitank and help out in combats.

Nurgle stuff is easy to paint. undercoat white then cover whole model in gretchin green. drizzle baal red into any open wounds on the model. Drybrush with desert yellow, bone or deneb stone then swamp the figure in Devlin Mud or Sepia wash.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; July 1st, 2010 at 15:47.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

191 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post

What units work best if I intend to go heavily into assault theme?

ha.. thats what daemons are.. except for horrors, and some tzneech thats what you be doing.

Fiemds and crushers... never leave home without them.. in packs of 4-5.
    You cant go wrong with any of the monstrous creature Daemon HQs either, Though the favoites are the bloodthirster and keeper of secrets.

Stay away from Epidemius, beasts of nurgle, and furies.

There are several models with no model so you may have to do some converting. if thats your thing, go for it.. if you dont like converting, you may want to reconsider playing daemons.

Oh.. and most of the army is metal, but theyve got some new figs couming out this fall.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Welcome to daemons.

First and foremost, I want to direct your attention to the news that in August, more models will be released. yay right?

Now, there are basically 2 choices to have a decent army.
    Khorne/Tzeentch
    or
    All nurgle

Unfortunately its hard for me to promote slaanesh as they are just not really that good in the long haul.

Since you already decided no nurgle, ill totally omit them from any advice I have.

Units that you should avoid purchasing:
    Furies
    Screamers
    Hounds

Units that you should purchase first:
    Blood Letters
    Pink Horrors (wait until August for the new models)
    Flamers or Blood Crushers (wait until august) or Both
    Changeling (wait until August)

The rest depends on what army size you are going to be fielding.

Large Army:
    Fateweaver (wait until August)
    Blood Crushers ( wait until August)
    Daemon Princes (wait until August)
    Blood Thirster

Small Army:
    Herald of Tzeentch
    Soul Grinders (2 of them)

As for the herald, you can either use a regular pink horror, or use a tzeentch sorcerer model from Warriors of Chaos. As for a chariot, There are several pictures of burning chariots around. Alot of people use either the disc model from warrior of chaos, or an old worthless CD (aol free trial!). Then of course 2 screamer models pulling it.

Seekers are also good for their points. They are a 100% viable choice in large or small armies. But of course, wait until August to purchase any.

The best assault theme, is def fate-crusher combo. Where you have fateweaver and 10+ blood crushers, all roaming around him. Then complimented with at least 30 blood letters and 10-20 pink horrors for supportive fire. I also use a blood thirster, 2 wings princes, 1 foot prince with a bolt of tzeentch. (extra fire power).

For a low pointed assault theme, you will have to cross your fingers for lots of saves, but....
    20ish Blood Letters, Seekers, Fiends, Blood Crushers, fleeting soul grinders, and some horrors and herald of tzeentch for supportive fire.

My last piece of advice is ....put all your models on their square bases, so if that day comes you wan to play fantasy..you already have an army. Dual Purpose eh? :-)
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    Welcome to daemons.

First and foremost, I want to direct your attention to the news that in August, more models will be released. yay right?

Now, there are basically 2 choices to have a decent army.
    Khorne/Tzeentch

Unfortunately its hard for me to promote slaanesh as they are just not really that good in the long haul.
    The army will probably start very small (around 1000 points) for a few practical reasons:
    1) I'm a slow painter
    2) I don't want to play with unpainted army

I've always felt that Nurgle is the kind of army that has so distinct theme of its own that it should be all Nurgle or none. And since I happen to like the look of many Khorne, Tzeench and Slaanesh units I'll be having those. I am going to wait till August (well, or July when preorders for August release come at least) for most of the stuff, but I was thinking of getting a box of Bloodletters and another one of Daemonettes earlier and start to practice my paint-schemes. As for other stuff the Seekers are something I definitely want. Assault cavalry is just too sweet idea to pass. Bloodcrushers also look cool, I could use a few alongside the Bloodletters.

I also hope there will be plastic princes with lots of extra bitz for customizing... Either that or I'll have to get more green stuff
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i have played one of my friends who started daemons and problem is he doesnt think tactically he just takes what he wants. Which in all respect is great, playing the way you want. But the only problem is when hes only got 750 points a daemon prince isnt what should be taking up 250 points.

So what im trying to say is daemons need numbers. if you can make 1000 points of a 1500 point army be based around squad based units with models that cost a mx of 20p then you should be okay. But from what ive seen being used in the daemon codex, the soul grinder is a must have.

And im afraid im gonna have to disagree with the slaanesh thing. They're perfect for taking on swarm based armies like tyranids and orks and i think they count as being equiped with frag grenades so chances are your always going to strike first most of the time and then with rending you can stop armor saves here and there.
    Last edited by Pekolie; July 3rd, 2010 at 00:43.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I wouldnt buy the daemonettes.

And anything is good at taking on swarms. Sweeping advance anyone?
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

191 (x3)

Bloodletter vs. Daemonetts.

Bloodletters excel at killing marines.
    Daemonetts excel at killing eldar.

Depends on what a lot of your opponents are playing. Bloodletters will take most all marine squads on no problem if they get the charge. Termis, piece of cake. 250 point squad of termis against 80 point squad of bloodletter with the charge..= dead termis most every time. Daemonetts would have a bit of problem with them. But against a highter Init eldar army bloodletters wouldnt have the drop on them and would need to make some saves before they attacked, where as the daemonettes would be ripping them up.

I personally prefer the bloodletters becasue of all the marine players around.. +3 armor.. ha.. may as well have nothing on at all.... Meet my hellblade..
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

Blood letters are still better than daemonettes against eldar and other low T models.

Because str 4 and str5 on charge, means lots lots more wounds. Also T4 means less wounds taken.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

I did some mathhammering of Bloodletters and Daemonettes against 10 model (incl sergeant) tactical marine and assault marine squads. Used approximately same point cost squads (10 Bloodletters or 12 Daemonettes w/transfixing gaze):

Bloodletter vs. Tactical Marine (10 Bloodletters, 9 marines+sergeant)

Daemons charge, no cover: Win on own assault phase, no casualties
    Daemons charge, cover: Win on own assault phase, 2-3 casualties
    Marines charge: Win on on own assault phase, 4-6 casualties

Bloodletter vs. Assault Marine (10 Bloodletters, 9 marines+sergeant)

Daemons charge, no cover: Win on own assault phase, no casualties
    Daemons charge, cover: Win on own assault phase or next enemy assault phase, 3-5 casualties
    Marines charge: Resolved in 3 rounds of combat, 5-10 casualties (or for 6-10 marines if they win)

Daemonettes vs. Tactical Marine (12 Daemonettes+transfixing, 9 marines+sergeant)

Daemons charge, no cover: Win on next enemy assault phase, 1 casualty
    Daemons charge, cover: Win on next enemy assault phase, 1 casualty
    Marines charge: Win on next own assault phase, 0-3 casualties

Daemonettes vs. Assault Marines (12 daemonettes+transfixing, 9 marines+sergeant)

Daemons charge, no cover: Win on next enemy assault phase, 1-3 casualties
    Daemons charge, cover: Win on next enemy assault phase, 1-3 casualties
    Marines charge: Win in 2-3 rounds of combat, 2-5 casualties

Bloodletter certainly seem to demolish marines if they get a charge off... The downside is that they seem to do it on one round of combat, which would leave them vulnerable to being shot next turn. Daemonettes also seem to demolish marines, just a bit slower and if assaulting through cover or being assaulted by Assault Marines the daemonettes do a lot better.

This isn't absolute truth as it doesn't take into account the shooting, though. Especially with Assault Marines it is a big deal if they get a charge off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast