Problem With Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem With Space Wolves

I was playing a 1500 points battle against Space Wolves the other day and got tabled except for my GUO (game ended turn 5). I've not played Space Wolves before, but I've had a lot of success with my current army (never lost, had a couple of draws in ~10 games). Here's my list:

1 x GUO (Flies) [Wave 1]
    6 x Fiends (Might) [Wave 1]
    6 x Fiends (Might) [Wave 2]
    6 x Plaguebearers [Wave 1]
    6 x Plaguebearers [Wave 2]
    6 x Pink Horrors (Changeling & Bolt) [Wave 1]
    12 x Daemonettes [Wave 2]
    2 x Tzeentch DP (Bolt) [Wave 1]
    1 x Nurge DP (Wings, Hide, Flies & Touch) [Wave 2]

And here's what I was playing against:

1 x Rune Priest
    1 x Wolf Lord (Terminator, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)
    1 x Wolf Lord (Thunderwolf Mount, Artificer Armour, Storm Shield, Power Fist)
    8 x Grey Hunters in Rhino (can't remmember upgrades)
    8 x Grey Hunters in Rhino (can't remmember upgrades)
    2 x Land Speeders (Multi-Melta)
    6 x Thunderwolf Cavalry (all different for wound allocation purposes, but around half had storm shields and half had power fists plus a few other bits & pieces to make them unique)
    5 x Devestators (2 Lascannons & 2 Missile Launchers)

I messed up the deployment of my fiends & daemonettes so wasn't ever able to get the initial charge with them. Got my prefered wave and no deep strike misshaps, but didn't get most of my reserves until later in the game (Fiends turn 3, Daemonettes & Plaguebearers turn 4, Nurgle DP turn 5). The real problem was wound allocation and all those storm shields. 12 Fiends and 12 Daemonettes managed to kill two Thunderwolf Cavalry and take the other four down to one wound. My plaguebearers killed 6 grey hunters and my GUO killed the Wolf Lord on the Thundewolf.

Was I just unlucky or is there some specific strategy I should be using to beat Space Wolves? Don't want to build my army just to counter them, since prefer a more against-all-comers approach, but any general purpose suggestions for changes to my list would be really helpfull. Particularly for the Thunderwolf Cavalry with Storm Shields. I treated them like I would Nob Bikerz which I've found loose to around half their points of Fiends, but this didn't work very well.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks as though you've tried to balance your waves ? I think it works best to load up the waves with similar models and trust in the dice - we are a random army after all. For instance with your list i'd do :-

Wave 1
    GUO
    3xDemon Princes
    6xFiends

Wave 2
    6xFiends
    6xPlaguebearers
    6xPlaguebearers
    6xPink Horrors
    12xDaemonettes

Not getting an initial charge with your Fiends won't have helped, but were you hit and running every time at the end of your opponents assault phase ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Well i cant help you with the List, but it sounds like that TWC set up is illegal, you can take 1 PF per squad and you can actually only take 5 in a squad.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about the legality of the Space Wolves list since I haven't read the their codex and I'm going from memory. I only got one chance to hit & run, usuakky I do this at the end of my opponents turn, even if I'm just going to recharge the same unit. Otherwise the fiends just got taken apart by the wolves. My wave split is usually all the shooting stuff in wave 1 then I try to split what's remaining fairly evenly for wave 2. What I should probably have done was have both Fiend units in wave 1 so I could at least charge him with the other unit the following turn. So either 3xDPs + 2xFiends or 2xTzeentchDPs + Horrors + 2xFiends in wave 1.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

This is just me, but I love a group of Bloodletters against this type of army because the power swords eat armour. The problem is, the Bloodletters tend to get shot up a bit so take more than 10 in a group and make sure they are the ones to attack. To me (and I know there are a million different opinions out there so no flak) Plaguebears make good objective troops, but aren't great against armies with the big armour. I LOVE the Tzeentch Daemon Prince especially with the Bolt. I know they seem expensive, but I also love Flamers. They are Jump Infantry, have a better stat line than Pink Horrors and the best is they have Breath of Chaos ( Flame Template, auto-hits, wounds on 4+, glance vehicles on 4+, no armour and no cover saves. I keep them in for second wave, deep strike them in front of the enemy, hope for a good deep strike and blow the suckers up! I don't play fiends, so I can't say anything about them, but I'd sub in some Flamers for them. These are just some general ideas, but opinions vary. I just played the Space Marines and Blood Angels in my last match which are close to the Space Wolves and the Flamers took out the most points for my army.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

One more thing, you didn't take Might on all of your Fiends did you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I have to say you were cheated if that Space Wolves list is exactly what he played. For one thing, there are 3 HQ choices there with 2 Wolf Lords and a Rune Priest. Second, there can be a maximum for 5 Thunderwolf Cavalry in a squad, and only 1 may take a special weapon (all of them can have Thundershields however). So don't feel bad to losing to this illegal list, the game should be a write off and if this is someone you see or play often, I'd let him know of the changes he has to make to his list.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Rage View Post
    I have to say you were cheated if that Space Wolves list is exactly what he played. For one thing, there are 3 HQ choices there with 2 Wolf Lords and a Rune Priest.
    Erm... spacewolves can take 4HQ's actually...

but your right about the TWC
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    One more thing, you didn't take Might on all of your Fiends did you?
    I wish :-) No, just on one of them per unit.

Probably going to replace the daemonettes with bloodletters and try replacing the GUO with Skulltaker on a Juggernaut & a couple of bloodcrushers - just finished converting Skulltaker so he's riding the one from the fantasy chaos lord + juggernaut. Looks good, but the conversion was a pain to get right.

+ Reply to Thread