Thinking of starting 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting 40k

Hello all. I've been lurking around the forum for a while; 2 years ago I thought about starting 40k before I went to uni but A)The rules were about to be redone and B)I thought I wouldn't have much time to spend on a hobby. Although B) still applies I've been reading up on the game again and am thinking about starting it up, especially as me and my housemates got into playing "homemade" dice wargames using the little plastic pieces from Lord of the Rings Risk...anyway I digress!

I've never done any hobby work or been to a GW shop before. Looking at the options available starting the hobby, the Black Reach box set looks good, especially as it has all the rules and templates and might help me find someone to play with among my friends. But I'm not that interested in Space Marines or Orks: I want a tough aggressive army with a few tanks and survivable troops (which seems to be Marine all over), and having read through the Chaos stuff on the wikias I think it looks more interesting than the Loyal marine forces. Especially god aligned marines and demons, devastating magic etc. The only problem is I hear their codex is awful, any comments?

So I wonder, can I just buy the Black Reach box and turn the marines into Chaos Marines? They look pretty much the same just less spiky. And is there any cheep way to get into the painting aspect. I'd love to have my own designed units with personal colour schemes and fluff, but buying a stupid amount of pricy paint all at once seems doomed to fail. I have some money but it's certainly not limitless and I really like to research before buying. I want it to look good and not just plastic forever.

What looks good to me purely for "looks cool" and fluff reasons is a Mechanised Khorne/Tzeentch army:
    Demon Prince (new one looks like a great model, great big demon firing powers and tearing stuff up)
    Some Berzerkers in Rhinos (Khorne part of the list)
    Many Marines in Rhinos (With marks of Khorne or Tzeentch or Mixture)
    Horrors/Rubric Marines (Tzeentch part of the list, can you have demons anymore or did that become a whole seperate army?)
    Predator/Vindicator Tanks (These just look great)

Something aggressive and fast, getting the assualt guys into play but with some strong fire support behind it. I'll probably make a new topic about that, if I decide to play.

Rambling over, here's my bullet point questions:
    A)Are Chaos Marines a good choice? The codex isn't that bad?
    B)Is Black Reach a good buy if I plan to start Chaos Marines or (possibly) Regular Marines?
    C)If not, how would you get started with a Chaos Army?

Last edited by GoliathX; August 5th, 2010 at 16:56. Reason: grammar/spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    The only problem is I hear their codex is awful, any comments?
    The Chaos codex isn't awful. It just needs some work. It is still a competative codex, that is fun to play.

So I wonder, can I just buy the Black Reach box and turn the marines into Chaos Marines? They look pretty much the same just less spiky. And is there any cheep way to get into the painting aspect. I'd love to have my own designed units with personal colour schemes and fluff, but buying a stupid amount of pricy paint all at once seems doomed to fail. I have some money but it's certainly not limitless and I really like to research before buying. I want it to look good and not just plastic forever.

A)Are Chaos Marines a good choice? The codex isn't that bad?
    The Codex like I side above, is fun to play and is still competative.

Is Black Reach a good buy if I plan to start Chaos Marines or (possibly) Regular Marines?
    Yes, this is an extremely good buy. It is a better buy if you can find someone who will buy the Orks off you. As for converting the notmal marines into Chaos(y) counterparts, just add some spikes or odd and grotesque symbols to their armor.

C)If not, how would you get started with a Chaos Army?
    Well, when I started my Chaos army, the first thing I bought was 2 Sorcerers (I hate Daemon Princes) 2 Squads of Chaos Marines, 1 Noise Marine Box, 3 Rhino's, 2 Boxes of Terminators, and 2 Vindicators. I then exapanded from their. I would suggest a similar strategy. Buy 1 or 2 HQ choices, 2-3 Box sets of troops, Some Rhino's, and some heavy tanks to fill up your Heavy Support slots. The Vindicator is a good all around tank, and will kill just about anything. The other good choice for Chaos in the Heavy Support slot is Obliterators.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there! I would buy the Chaos Battle force box set and add to it some heavy support units with anti-tank weapons. Can't comment on whether the Chaos codex is 'good' or not. People complain about it, but keep playing and you know I think they do all right Personally don't like using Imperial marines as chaos because of the big Imperial Eagle emblazoned on their armor.

--- be well, be blessed!
    Frankie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Obviously, a starter box will save you some cash. If you really want to make sure you Chaos Marines look right, you'll have to file off all the Imperial stuff (wings, crosses, UltraMarines icons, etc). Keep in mind, Chaos tend to look beat-up, time-worn, and corrupted, so a bad job of it won't be the worst thing if you're just starting out.

Chaos is a good choice. We still have some of the best troops options out there (normal CSM, Berserkers, Plague Marines). And they can ride in very economical transports (Rhinos). Our Daemon Prince is also a tough HQ to beat for the points. What vets call 'codex creep' is bringing some other armies up (new things are generally more improved), but we've still got a lot of punch in those areas. It's our Fast Attack, and Elites that kinda fall to the wayside from a competitive standpoint. Lords as an HQ choice tend to be sub-par as well, and a couple of our characters aren't nearly as great as newer dex's (Blood Angels characters are painful, and Nids got a nice selection).

Your ideas sound pretty good for a list. Yes, you can use daemons, they're just Lesser Daemons (read: generic), but they can be a fun, and useful option nonetheless. If you're going 'cult' troops (Beserkers, Thousand Sons, Plague, and Noise Marines), you'll find they come at a healthy price tag. Since redundancy is also a good thing in a list, you might end up fielding 2x each (if you're going with two gods), or 3 and 1 - plus daemons. This doesn't leave room for vanilla CSM in most lists upwards of 2000 pts, but then you do have some nice, roll-defined troops options. That also limits a lot of their special weapons choices, but it's up to you how you want to play. You'll always have some heavy support to help out, at least.

For purchases, if you start with Black Reach, the Chaos Battleforce would be my first suggestion for expanding your army (outside of grabbing that sweet new Daemon Price model). You might need some additional Rhinos - keep in mind, you can build a Rhino from the Predator box, too, and then have a vehicle you can swap around as needed if you don't glue everything down (tiny magnets are your friends).

Hope this helps some.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

gah .... double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the opinions. I think the box set is cheep just for the rules and extras so I will probably get that to start the game, learn to play with my friends and such. If my friends really like it I'm pretty sure I can sell one the Orks, one the Marines and buy my own Chaos Battleforce.

Then again there is a brand new Fantasy box set out next month, so I guess that's worth looking at too.

+ Reply to Thread