Need help vs tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help vs tau

I have fell into the trap of GW and everything i look at i want so have ended up with about 6 armies in the past 3/4 years. My first army was chaos and it seems right (and really like them) to go back to them. now the people i play most are tau players and was wondering what sort of theme i should take (a few people told me a nurgle army with two demon princes. but i dont know so i was wondering whether the more veteran gamers out there could tell me a bit of what to take etc

i am meant to put soething clever and cool in this box, But do you know what i really cant think of anything at all. LOL <-----sums me up very well

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

there are currently at least 2 threads on the first page of threads dealing with people giving advice on new armies. to rehash get rhinos for each of your units, get power fists for your champions. plague marines and khorne berserkers, and standard CSM are very strong troop choices. a DP is the most cost effective hq chaos has, and can use your rhinos as cover( as well as having a nifty new model)

heavy support is determined by your style, defilers do not have great armor but make up for it with a great gun, vindicators have a great gun and good armor, but give up range, vindicators have good range and armor, but their weapon choices are not as good, and oblits give great versatility, but they do not draw as much anti tank weapons off your rhinos

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner37 View Post
    heavy support is determined by your style, defilers do not have great armor but make up for it with a great gun, vindicators have a great gun and good armor, but give up range, vindicators have good range and armor, but their weapon choices are not as good, and oblits give great versatility, but they do not draw as much anti tank weapons off your rhinos
    Pretty good assessment. I'd add that Vindi armor is only solid if you can stay at a decent range, so the front armor is the main target. However, this is counterintuitive it it's relatively short-ranged ordiance blast.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

The only real problem you'll run into against Tau are their ability to easily pop any armor you throw at them due to their Railguns. That being said, 2 Daemon Princes with MoN, Wings and Warptime will make short work of pretty much any Tau unit you run into, and will draw those Railguns away from your Rhinos. Rhinos are a must as said before, and our key troops options are Plague Marines, Berzerkers or standard CSM (my preference being Berzerkers), and they should all have a champ with Powerfist. For your heavies, against Tau, I would go with Obliterators and throw them into cover as they will need to cause 3 wounds to pop your big guns rather than 1 Railgun shot and they will still get a 4+ cover if placed properly.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience vs tau is only limited to three battles, but i have found that they are totally useless at close assault.

I think the above is all sound advice, especially if he is stiffing out mutliples hammerheads. Obliterators for the hammers and defilers for the mass firewarriors/kroot.

I had very satisfying success with a terminator clad chaos lord with mark of slannesh and twin claws, which butchered 2 full squads of firewarriors and 8 battlesuits and some kroot. Again part of your strategy has to be to give him pain in assault with termies as above or berserkers while your vindis/oblits and defilers soften up his tanks/mass firewarriors so you can flank in assault.

Remember tau are initiate 2 or 3 max so pretty much anything in a troops choice or elites chaos choice will butcher the blue meanies to shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i have decided to go with a Death guard army. I wnat this as the troops look awesome and like the fluff. The only difference is that they will be mechanised for a 500pt list i would have

Arghast the Plaguespreader – Wings, MoN, Nurgle's rot 165pts

Troops

5 Plague marines – Rhino, Extra armour 165pts
    5 Plague marines – Rhino, Extra armour 165pts

and for a 1000pt list

H.Q

Arghast the Plaguespreader – Wings, MoN, Nurgle's rot 165pts

Troops

7 Plague marines – champion, Rhino, Extra armour 226pts
    7 Plague marines – champion, Rhino, Extra armour 226pts

Elites

Chaos Dreadnought – Extra armour, Lascannon 140pts

Heavy Support

5 Havocs- Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Autocannon, Heavy Bolter 165pts
    Rhino- Extra armour 50pts
    i am meant to put soething clever and cool in this box, But do you know what i really cant think of anything at all. LOL <-----sums me up very well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Doomfire

Like the troops choices (I filed plagues myself as one 10 man squad in a rhino) but beware with this list against a tau player who takes 3 hammerheads (a standard tau list). You have 14 plagues which unless you pinpoint them precisely to rapid fire his warriors will probably get outshot. Tau are very strong at mass firepower and even plagues will be lost because of the amount of saves/FNP it will force you to roll.

I would drop the 10 plagues and go for either a raider with 10 berserkers/5 assault termies with mos. Id also replace the havocs with either obliterators or a defiler.

Thats just what i seem to have had sucess with against the blue meanies. What sort of Tau list is he beating you with?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Major flaw in your using Plague Marines is that a Tau player is likely to spam Fireknife Crisis Suits against any Marine army. "Fireknife" equates to a Crisis suit with a Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, and a Multitracker to allow him to fire both weapons. Markerlights may be present too to assist either in dropping the cover save or increasing the ballistic skill of a firing Tau unit, or whatever else the player can do with them. The Crisis teams will also probably have Team Leaders who can take BS-enhancing wargear.

The problem for your Plague Marines is that the Plasma Rifle's AP will negate your Feel No Pain rule. It already disallows your armour save, so if the shots wound then that Plague Marine is not going to get up again.

Tau are remarkably quick, since they do not wish to get caught in assault, so you could find yourself running after their Devilfish while the Crisis Suits pick you off at leisure. The Broadside team will probably have little trouble in taking down your Dreadnought, but will doubtless succumb to your DP.

For a 1k Tau list I could field a Fireknife HQ, 2x 6-man Fire Warrior units in Devilfish with upgrades for protection and firepower enhancement, 2-man Broadside unit with protection and fire dispersal upgrades, and that would still leave me with 378 points to play with in the Crisis team section. For those points I can take 5 Fireknives and a single Crisis suit with twin-linked flamers to use up the last points. Result: lots of AP1 and AP2 available, along with high-strength weaponry to at least annoy your DP!

My method would be to pop your Rhinos asap in order to force you to walk across the table, while trying to do something about that winged monstrosity with my Broadsides since he is still susceptible to I-D from their weapons despite his Mark of Nurgle.

I posted the above not to show off or say that your choice of army isn't a good one. I'm just saying how I would go about dealing with your list. If you reverse-engineer the theories, it might give you some help in beating my little blue friends.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i concur with eiglepulper. Taus weakness is close assault. Especially close assault with power weapons. Oblits are cheap and make short work of his hammerheads. Have your plagues for mobile objective taking and rapid firing at close range. But trust me, nothing is going to bring the hurt more than berserkers....chosen with power weapons or those faithful termies in a land raider..

You will have a tau player running off from it....please remember even battlesuits have a pants initiative value....keep your demon prince with wings as this will definitely bring the pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post

My method would be to pop your Rhinos asap in order to force you to walk across the table, while trying to do something about that winged monstrosity with my Broadsides since he is still susceptible to I-D from their weapons despite his Mark of Nurgle.

E.
    erm are you sure about this? Demon princes with a mark of nurgle are toughness 6.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast