Ain't got no list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ain't got no list

So I've been toying around with lists lately, and I've actually managed to eek out some victories by playing a list that revolves around six ten-man squads in possessed rhinos, each equipped with two melta guns, and a champion with a fist and an Icon of Khorne; and two daemon princes with the mark of Tzeench and wings. I've been able to beat mech guard with it, though I've somehow gone first in every game I've played against them. Heavy losses on both sides, but I barely come out on top.
    There's just one problem:

I fail - FAIL math, hard.

It turns out my list comes out to more than 2000 points, and we were playing 1500 point games. I'm barely scraping by while playing 500 points more than I should have been, while going first. You have no idea how demoralizing this is. =(

So now I'm totally sunk for ideas against mechanized guard, especially within the confines of the fluff I've been trying to keep up with. I could retool the list, but I would end up with only four rhinos, and no marks; considering that almost all of them got destroyed when I had six while going first, this just doesn't seem to be a viable option. The only reason I got any melta guns through was because there were too many targets to shoot down, and you have no idea how much I actually NEED leadership 10 to keep my troops doing anything I want them to.

So I can't come up with anything good, now that my only working idea was only so because I was 500 points over. And the way things are looking for a future campaign, this problem is compounded with the impossible puzzle of coming up with a list that can effectively combat both IG and 'Nids... without knowing which one I'm going to be fighting.

Should I just give up and go plague marines and lash princes? Nothing original seems to be up to the task.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I would suggest trying one or two squads of Terminators built as such:

4 Terminators
    3 Combi-Plasma's
    1 Heavy Flamer

It's 140 points, and it will be effective at combating Nid's and Guard. Just drop behind a Guar tank and watch it die. Drop next to a Hive Tyrant/Mawlac/Trygon and watch him squeel. Personally, at 1500 points I like to run a list like this:

Daemon Prince 135
    Lash, MoS

Terminators 140
    3 Combi-Melta
    Heavy Flamer

Chaos Marines x10 235
    Melta, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Chaos Marines x10 235
    Melta, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Khorne Berzerkers x8 243
    Champ w/ Fist, Rhino
    Plague Marines x7 191
    2 Plasma Guns, Rhino

Vindicator 145
    Daemonic Possession
    Vindicator 145
    Daemonic Possession

This list come out to a cool 1494 points.
    Last edited by Wolf Guard; August 18th, 2010 at 19:31.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe us Chaos players are naturally bad at math? I checked the addition to make sure, and came out to 1469. :/ Not as bad as my math, but still.

I've got two problems with the list you proposed. One's rather less severe than the other:

- Possessed Vindi's: These look great on paper, but I've been playing them for a while, and the fact that they have only a single, fixed-mount weapon means that the first result that isn't a 1 or 2 renders the vehicle totally useless. And with a piddly side armor of 11, you can expect a lot of penetrating hits the second you move up to get a shot off with your demolisher. I've been leaving them home except when playing Nids, and even then Nids can pull off the shooting necessary to bust one or two vindis.
    - Reliance on deep-striking: This is more of a fluff problem. The army I'm trying to emulate is a bunch of steam-punk traitors and hereteks eventually throwing in their lot with Chaos, and allowing Fabius Bile to turn several of them into an effective equivilant of Space Marines. Which would mean teleportation technology is an exceptionally rare thing to them, if it is availible at all. Not to mention in my last several games my scatters have been pretty bad; didn't lose anything, but I've run serious risks even while trying to drop things in the most open, barren sections of the table.

There is also the matter of using Plague Marines at all, a principal I made up for myself since I wanted to make something unique. But if they're so indespensible, and every other troop choice is so mediocre, I guess I'd be willing to compromise that, too.

+ Reply to Thread