Loyalist Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loyalist Thousand Sons

Aloha,
    I have been an avid 40k guy for years, but after reading the Thousand Sons book from the Horus Heresy series I have once again looked at building an army based around them.

The idea (fluff) for my army will be a mixed fellowship group of Thousand Sons who were on a patrol ship when Prospero was attacked and escaped the general destruction. These marines have dedicated themselves to rebuilding their Legion, and through use of their abilities were able to infiltrate the Administratum and remove references to their origin. Thus they are to all outward appearances a loyal SM chapter whose origin has been lost (like many others) but is assumed (wrongly) to have been a loyal SM Legion. It helps that for all intents and purposes pre-Heresy Thousand Sons were Chaos marines already who just happened to be loyal to the Imperium.

At first, I thought to use the standard SM codex, but it doesn't offer the level of Psychic power needed to do this properly, and the different "chaotic" abilities in the CSM codex are very easily explained by the very heavy psychic presence in all 1k Sons units, in fact they are almost required in order to account for the abilities granted by the extremely psychic orientation of the army. This is especially true because of the different specializations (fellowships like the Pyrae and Corvidae) found in the units (healing, shielding, fire, etc.) as described in the novel. For example the "Rubric marines" stat lines and abilities are simply due to marines protected by the Corvidae, firepower by Pyrae, etc., granted by the abilities of the members in the squad.

The army will avoid obvious Chaos influence (demons/etc.) This is of course only done to keep other Imperial forces from suspecting their origin, since they are confident of their ability to master these forces through their superior knowledge of the warp (heh).

Does anyone have any suggestions on particular units that should/shouldn't be included? Also, does anyone have a suggestion for mass conversion to Egyptian themed troops (all models will be converted so they are instantly recognizable as something other than a SM with a different paint job). I am versed in the fluff, but not so much familiar with the 1k Sons in 5th edition. For example, does SnP mean that they fire from a moving Rhino as if they were stationary (it reads that way to me, especially since Special Rules are supposed to trump standard rules when they conflict).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aloha again,
    Sorry about the double post but with no replies I wondered if I was unclear what I was asking.

My question, what would you guys consider WYSIWYG when making a non-demonic "version" or a 1k Sons consistent "version" of these:

A Demon Prince: Just a very powerful looking HQ choice? Maybe extra impressive Terminator armor, obviously extra-large weapons, etc? How much "sorceryness" would I have to add (and suggestions if you have them) to make the model clearly indicate his improved stat line?

Cult Marines: These are going to need to reflect Pavoni manipulation of Body Chemistry (Berzerkers), Pyrae firepower (1k Sons are just fine), Athanaeans predictive/precog abilities (Noise marines, precog and time/thought manipulation explains firepower, but how to model?), and Raptora (Plague Marines, toughness due to Kine shields).
    Do I just use specific symbols or heraldry on pads to reflect their Cult/Fellowship? More? Different weapons?

Various demonic stuff like Greater or Lesser Demons, Posessed, etc.

Defiler? Do I use it at all? A big armored scorpion, or maybe a Defiler heavily converted to be Egyptian without being "Chaosy"?

Obliterators?

I realize much of this is subject to taste, but I'm concerned about what an opponent might find to be appropriate WYSIWYG.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by athanasius1812 View Post
    A Demon Prince: Just a very powerful looking HQ choice? Maybe extra impressive Terminator armor, obviously extra-large weapons, etc? How much "sorceryness" would I have to add (and suggestions if you have them) to make the model clearly indicate his improved stat line?
    It would really have to match the same size as the DP model. An inquisitor scale model might work?
    Cult Marines: These are going to need to reflect Pavoni manipulation of Body Chemistry (Berzerkers), Pyrae firepower (1k Sons are just fine), Athanaeans predictive/precog abilities (Noise marines, precog and time/thought manipulation explains firepower, but how to model?), and Raptora (Plague Marines, toughness due to Kine shields).
    Do I just use specific symbols or heraldry on pads to reflect their Cult/Fellowship? More? Different weapons?
    I'd use very similar models (and paint schemes) for each, just changing the weapon loads and with a different helmet/shoulder colour for each type. At the end of the day they're all the same chapter, just with a slightly different flavour.
    Various demonic stuff like Greater or Lesser Demons, Posessed, etc.
    G/L Daemons don't work very well in 5th imo, so I wouldn't bother with them - but if you did you could always work them as the spirit guides each astartes had. No idea on what models to use but there's bound to be something good out there!
    Defiler? Do I use it at all? A big armored scorpion, or maybe a Defiler heavily converted to be Egyptian without being "Chaosy"
    ?
    As long as it's the same size, you should be fine. Me, I'd go with a giant scarab (but then my ambition always exceeds my modelling skills, lol)
    Obliterators?
    I'd consider them terminator equivalents of Pyrae.
    I realize much of this is subject to taste, but I'm concerned about what an opponent might find to be appropriate WYSIWYG.
    As long as the models are different enough to be able to tell apart, and are all the right size, I don't think people would have a problem. Personally, I think this is a great idea and can't wait to see the results
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread