Viability of Thousand Sons (competitive) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Viability of Thousand Sons (competitive)

Hey everyone, I've been recently reviving my old 40k armies after a 5-6 year break. One of my armies is a CSM force with 3 squads of TS marines.

Now I'm currently torn as to whether I should sell them and pick up PM/zerkers to replaced them. As mentioned in the title, I'm asking the community whether TS are viable in tournament play (1500-2000 point bracket). From my reading on these forums, the conclusion seems to be that they are simply too overpriced and vulnerable in CC for the AP3 benefit.

I was thinking that perhaps it would be best to keep 1 squad of 9 TS and sell the other too. I would like some of your opinions however, as to whether more than 1 squad of TS in a 1500-2000 point game is too much.

I was personally thinking that having 1xzerker squad, 1x TS squad, and 2x PM squads would be all the resources I would need in order to derive competitive army lists. (I really don't like noise marines)

Feedback and input is much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

thousand sons are very good against armored infantry. since near 50% of armies you face are in power armor they can be quite useful. but the other 50% of the time you are paying for a unit that moves slower, and as a bolter can ignore most core choices armor that is not a space marine variant, just as effective as a slightly cheaper, more tactically flexible CSM.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

If you are playing comprtitively then 1 unit is probably enough, as said they are good against armour, but no better against 5+ or worse armour saves, whilst being a lot more expensive. The combination you suggested sounds fairly good and balanced to me, but what other units are you fielding with them?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Thanks for the replies, I agree with both of you.

The other units I'd be fielding are: Winged daemon prince, around 5 terminators, rhinos for each squad, and I have 4 obliterators (2x squad of 2) and a predator that I play around with for heavy support.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kzqq View Post
    Now I'm currently torn as to whether I should sell them and pick up PM/zerkers to replaced them.
    Bear in mind that Plague Marines and Zerkers have been top picks for the past two editions of our codex. I wouldn't be surprised if GW ramped up both Thousand Sons and Noise Marines for our next update. Given this, if you can afford to hold onto your TS models, it might pay off in the end.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Seeing the other units you use then one unit would probably be enough as you have several other fire support units, although as rabbit said don't rush to sell your models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

As mentioned already, the use of a single squad would probably be just fine as they do pretty much kill everything they fire at. To add some extra CC survivability, add Warptime to the Aspiring Sorcerer in the squad. Also, as Rabbit mentioned, if you're able to afford the other units without selling those Thousand Sons, I'd hang onto them, I sold my squad of Thousand Sons a few months ago and have regreted it.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

+ Reply to Thread