Me: Chaos Space Marines vs. My Buddy: Eldar. I can't win!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me: Chaos Space Marines vs. My Buddy: Eldar. I can't win!!!

Ok, so I used to play Tyranids, and every single time I played I would get Tabled. Now I play Chaos, which I love, but I can't beat the Eldar! he brings the same list every single time and I still can't beat him. here's what I remember from his list:

Guardians: full squad with ? platform

2 full squads Dire Avengers, both in Wave serpents with eldar missile launcher and something else.

Farseer with guide and doom

10 striking scorpians with eldrad and all with chan sabres

5 Fire Dragons in a falcon, with an exark with ?

2 war walkers with ?

1 wraith lord with ?

now my list varies every time. that is around 1250 to 1500 pts I think. what should i take to Combat that?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Post what you've got -- your basic core, at least -- as it would help with the advice.

Eldar can be tricky, though. They're much faster than Chaos, and even playing heavy on Rhinos, they'll dart around us, and slow us down.

Given your board name, I gather you play Khorne mostly? A few things to help within that mindset would be Daemon Princes (obviously). A pair is better than one. Get them wings. If you mark them Khorne, that's fine, since Eldar can shut down psychic stuff anyway. Keep them covered until they can charge. Target the walkers and the Wraith, as the DPs will tear those up nicely.

Keep it cheesy with a set of Oblits (a couple x2s), as you'll need the long range firepower to have any chance at crashing his tanks, and slowing things down. Things like Defilers in your heavy slot won't be as useful, since there aren't as many troop blobs to target, and Eldar vehicles can reduce the effectiveness of ordinance. If you don't go 3 slots of Oblits, a Predator can compliment them.

Otherwise, the standard troops in Rhinos should work to fill things out. Don't chase them. Let your Heavies, and DPs take out their speed, and dive on top of those opportunities. Expect to get your Rhinos out of commission early, though, so get as much out of them as you can the first couple turns (get towards the center/objectives).

You could get some elites in there, too. Maybe just a small squad of Deep Striking Terminators with combi-meltas. That can always help in a pinch.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

I rarely play against eldar, but are berzerkers particularly good, they work against most things.

DPs are your best hq option, protect them until an opportunity arises.

Also, try to take out the farseer as soon as possible, guide and doom, keep things going their way.

Obliterators and predators are the best HS here, and for elites there is only really terminators, one small squad should do.

As an alternative to lots of rhinos, have you tried just taking a few, this allows for more troops, and as they are faster than you anyway, you will still be out manouvered in rhinos, and they don't bring a lot of fire-power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the list I'm bringing against him this friday:

Daemon Prince: wings, Slanesh, lash of submission

2 squads Khorne Berzerkers: Skull Champs with Fists, meltabombs and plasma pistols, both in rhinos with TW Bolters

2 squads Obliterators

Chaos Space Marines: Asp Champ w/ combi melta and powersword, Icon of Khorne, 2 Meltaguns, in Rhino with Combi Melta and dozer blade (I had 5 extra points)

1500 pts on the dot

Is that a good list to bring?
    Last edited by Mark_of_Khorne; December 13th, 2010 at 04:58.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

What kind of units can you draw from? It looks to me from your list that you may have been shot up pretty good, am I right? Except the Obliterators, you really don't have much firepower at range, so they could stay away from you and shot you up a bit. I know that everyone is different, but I've had great success by giving my marines the Mark of Nurgle. Toughness 5 is huge against small arms fire. I prefer taking 5 terminators with the mark of Tzeentch as well. One thing about the lash of submission, it works well in combination with an ordnance weapon. If you had a Defiler, it may work well with the Prince with the Lash to bring your enemy out of cover in a nice tight pie plate pattern for the big ordnance that the Defiler can bring. If he brings the same list to beat you everytime, you should be able to figure out how he beat you and then change your list to adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i do not have a defiler, but i figured plasma cannons can do the job fairly well. and the Rhinos are to to get "Up and personal" very quickly. this list tabled dark eldar twice now, so i'm pretty confident.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Sorry, I thought the list you provided was the one that got tabled. Dave the Barbarian asked for that list so we could help figure out where you went wrong. I guess you need to try the new list and see if it works and then get back to us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok will do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm liking the Daemon Prince... the only thing that worries me is the fact that Eldar can shut down Psykers pretty easily, and with only the one... he'll get hosed alot.

As a Khorne player, I love me some Zerkers... as they are the core of my force. But, in this situation, I'm not sure how useful those Fists are going to be, I think it would be more prudent to stick to PWs to take full advantage of the increased I of Furious Charge. At least all or your Zerkers will hit at the same time as their troops. A PW will kill infantry just as well as the Fist... faster and cheaper =) I would however defiantly drop the Meltabombs and Plaspistols unless your filling points. You want your Zerkers to get stuck in, not be popping away with pistols that could blow up. And Meltabombs are kind of a waste since the Eldar vehicles will not be standing still.

You might want to also think about picking up or switching around a squad for CSMs with flamers =)

I never use Oblits but I hear they work all around

No problems with the CSMs.

Now, note that I have never had the opportunity to play against Eldar. I have however played one game as Eldar and got my rear handed to me by a SM player...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play both Eldar, and am starting with Chaos. Advance your troops in the middle of the board, stay in clustered in a blob and don't get spread out, he doesn't have template weapons. This cuts down the amount of space he has to keep away from you. Keep on lashing, you will get through eventually. Eldar have to pile about 3 units onto 1 of yours to escape any retaliation. Aim straight for the non mechanised units : walkers, wraithlord, guardians. Head straight up the middle, then turn to go for them, they're unlikely to be fast enough to get away. Trap them in a corner.
    Zerkers aren't great here though : too slow to catch his infantry, and no real option to dismount and rapid fire a unit down. If you want to use them, you need to trap a unit or two in cc to let your zerkers get to them, and there isn't anything in your list to do this. How about small units of raptors, another Demon Prince with wings, even small packs of summoned demons ? They only need to tie them up for two rounds of combat, not beat them by themselves.
    Hope this helps.
    Plan B is not automatically twice as much explosive as plan A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast