New Player needs help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player needs help

Hello, I'm acquiring some Chaos models in a trade deal and I'm quite confused what the best way to go on Troop choices and HQ as well as Vehicles and what not. I picked up the Chaos Marines codex and there seems to be a lot of different ways to go. I'm just looking for some advice from experienced players on what would be some good choices to add to what I already have.

I was thinking I would run the Obliterators in two units of 2 and I was leaning toward a unit of Khorne Brezerkers and a unit of Plague Marines as my troops. I'm not really sure what to run as my HQ. Any feedback & advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a list of what I have, these are unassembled new in the box.

Chaos Terminators box (5)
    Chaos Raptors box (5)
    Chaos Bike Squad box (3)
    Chaos Obliterator blister (x4)

Last edited by robperk; January 2nd, 2011 at 02:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

For an hq I would choose a daemon prince with wings, a common way to field one is mark of slaanesh and lash, but by keeping your model without any specific marks you can change between games, and toy about with what you want.

Alternatively go for a special character, I personally often use Abbadon.

Troops, you probably want 1 unit per 500 points, so if you want a 2000 pt force (ish), you could go for 1x unit plague marines and either 1x berzerkers and 2x standard marines, or 2x berzerkers and 1 x standard marines. At 2500 pts field 2 of each. A couple of plasmas or meltas in each squad of CSMs and plague marines, and a fist in at least the berzerkers and 1 unit of CSM would be a good way to field them.

You may want a unit of chosen to outflank with, there is a whole thread on this so I won't go into too much detail, but 8-ish and several plasma guns is a good set up.
    Some players field dreadnoughts, these may or maynot appeal to you due to the crazed rule, I sometimes use them, but not for competetive games.

I would have to say that for heavy support you should take a defiler, I find having one invaluable, especially when using lash to hit more models, or to bring them out of cover or into line of sight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I agree with Bliss-Givers' points. But you really should look at at at least two Rhinos for a 2000 point force. Khorne Berserkers are fan-freakin'tastic in close combat and really are most effective when transported in a Rhino. CSM could use a Rhino as well, but if you don't have one, run them up with a Mark of Nurgle. This will help protect your troops against small arms fire and when i do this, it almost always pays for itself and more.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

It can come down to your individual preference of playstyle too as to what way you go, and this is something that should be considered before making too many purchases. Having said that, most armies will want transports, you have to field two Troops choices and an HQ, and some other niceties are good to have as well. You've got the niceties already, so we know what needs to be purchased: HQ and Troops! So decide on your playstyle is my first suggestion.

I like to be fairly shooty but also like to mix it up close and nasty (I'm a Space Wolf player too!) so Emperor's Children with the Mark of Slaanesh and Noise Marines floats my boat well. However, a more generic approach would probably give you a better "take all comers" type of list, so I would be looking at the Winged Lash Prince or a Chaos Sorcerer Terminator for HQ. The bog standard CSM troops are pretty darn good too and if you give them an Icon of Chaos you end up roughly with the same abilities as the Marked units like Berserkers or Noise Marines though without the fancy stuff like sonic weapons or Furious Charge. Mounting them in Rhinos also should mean that you get the unit where you want it to be without getting it shot to shreds first!

Terminators are good fun; mine have the Mark of Slaanesh and are all upgraded to Champions with a variety of close combat and ranged weapons. The 10-man unit is almost 600pts, but my goodness it can lay down the hurt. An unmarked unit will also play well, but the extra kick that comes from bearing a Mark is well worth getting.

Bikers are harder to use effectively because they are not as good in the present Codex as they were in the previous one. I've a unit of nine, I've only used them once and I think I need to go back to the learning board! Raptors I do not possess, but I have heard from other players that this unit too has suffered from the new Codex compared to the old one. However, as I said, I do not have any so I can't comment from experience.

Heavy Support is important, and I run two Predators with twin-linked lascannons. One has lascannon sponsons, the other heavy bolters. From what I have been reading about Obliterators, and having found a "make your own Obliterator" thread elsewhere, I think that these guys would be a good third choice HS slot. I know from having fought against them that they are darn hard to put down too!

Special characters are a points sink, but they are also very good fun to use. I usually take Lucius the Eternal out for a run if the game is 2000pts or so, as this guy just minces enemy units (although he does require a unit to support him as he dies easily to gunfire!) and I have tried Abaddon too. However, I haven't really tried any of the others because they don't fit with my army background.

Hopefully some of this was of use to you.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the pleasures of the warp maggot. Now looking at your list, you are good with the oblits, The fact that they can use any wepon and have slow and purposeful rule they can move and fire their heavy weps looking for armor or ppl to kill. Do not Deep Strike them since for the points cost if your deep strike goes bad there goes all those pts. I lean towards shooty armies so Slannesh and 1K Sons work great in that dept. You must get transports if you want those troops to survive its a must. The Raptors and Bikes I would go melta and just run them across the board killing tanks since to be honest their surviablity after round 1 is nil. Get those suckers in on the sucide run it might give the gods a smirk at best.

Now for independent characters unless you are playing over 2K, A sorcerer or chaos lord and the Termies with marks is fine . Any named character would just be a waste of points IMHO. Now go and bring death to the followers of the corpse emperor!
    "The fallen shall forever be remembered as the emporers finest!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKin37 View Post
    Now for independent characters unless you are playing over 2K, A sorcerer or chaos lord and the Termies with marks is fine . Any named character would just be a waste of points IMHO. Now go and bring death to the followers of the corpse emperor!
    I disagree, I find independant characters very effective, esp. Abbadon and Kharn, but it's personal opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Just a couple of things that I noticed were not brought up here:

1: A Daemon Prince with wings, Mark of Nurgle and Warptime (you can even leave the MoN to save points) is a highly effective HQ, in my opinion quite even with the Lash Prince.
    2: I noticed you were given the advice of having a couple of Rhinos, this is incorrect, you're going to want every troop you field to have a Rhino (or in the case of Berzerkers, possibly a Land Raider if you can fit it in).
    3: Unfortunately, those Bikes and Raptors you've aquired are quite useless in our current codex, you're better off fielding troops in place of fast attack as they will end up being much more useful.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Rhinos are important, and some people believe since they are so cost effective you should have one for each troop choice your run, that's true. However, I have only ran ONE rhino for the 5 months I've played CSM and I've had no trouble winning. Like I said, if you don't have a rhino, just give your unit the mark of Nurgle and it helps. Also, the post reads "you should have at least two Rhinos" meaning you could easily have more. I never said you need a couple specifically. I ran a post about Rhinos when I first started playing CSM and there is a range of opinions on how many rhinos you actually need. I conceed that they are important especially to Berserkers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Agreed, anyway, it's more fun to paint up a defiler, vindicator or daemon prince than a rhino, and also if money isn't around to spend as freely as you wish, then surely you'd rather spend it on a different unit first.

+ Reply to Thread