Need help with a pure khorne list; brand new to CSM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with a pure khorne list; brand new to CSM

Hey guys!
    I am starting a pure Khorne CSM army, but I have no idea as to what to put in it because I don't yet have a codex. I am looking to create a fast-moving, assault orientated army that can crush everything in combat. I made a Chaos Warriors list like this, and it was very effective. I am not a new player, a fairly experienced one actually, so don't be afraid to get deep into the game mechanics etc. I like the look of some daemons in there too, and the posessed models look like a hoot to paint. For anyone who has read the 4 elements of warhammer thing, this is most definitely a red army.

My reasons for going chaos after a few years of loyalism are twofold; firstly, I am sick of all this 'hail the emporer' rubbish, since he is, after all, an old bloke in a chair that can't do anything, and secondly my marine army was, shal we say, not exactly the most loyal space marine chapter, and I have delved in and out of chaos for most of my loyalist life. As such, I have decided to completely and utterly turn to chaos.

So, any hints, tips, tricks or otherwise that I should know? From what I have read, I think I want something along these lines:

Daemon Prince w/ mark of Khorne

a load of berzerkers

some Terminators

some Posessed

a few Daemons

Maybe a Vindicator/Defiler/Land Raider/Predator

But whatever I have in there, It needs to have the mark of khorne, be a khorne daemon, or not be able to have a mark at all.

Thoughts?

Oh, and also I will put in a Brass Scorpion and some blood slaughterers of khorne when it is finished.

Last edited by Aun'Vre; January 3rd, 2011 at 03:02.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Khârn is a solid choice

(the man that never misses)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Aun'Vre, what point value are you looking for?

Between Princes, Kharn, Zerkers, and Defilers, you should be capable of producing a very close combat oriented build.

One thing I'd suggest. Even for a Khorne build, you might consider taking a Prince with Warp Time. They're heads over heels better than Princes with the Mark of Khorne.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I use a Khorne Chaos Lord on Juggernaught now and again and really like him. From time to time I gift him with the Khorne Daemonic weapon just for fun. The Daemonic weapon can let your lord have up to 18 attacks on the charge IF all goes well. If the weapon rebels against you, it can be a downer. I wouldn't use it in a tournament or anything. I also find that Rhinos are needed to transport your Berserkers so they don't get shot to pieces before they get to combat. Since Obliterators are not mono god oriented, they too should be on your list probably above a Predator.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

I would try:

A DP with warptime and no mark.

Kharn

9x Berzerkers with fist and rhino (9 so kharn can join them). Personal icon

10x Berzerkers with fist and rhino. Personal icon

10x Berzerkers with fist and rhino Personal icon

Either 10x Berzerkers with fist Personal icon and rhino or 10x CSM, MoK, 2x plasma, fist and rhino (as a unit with longer range fire power and more shots, also slightly cheaper for holding home objectives).

5x Terminators 4x combi weapons 1x Heavy flamer 1/2x Fists (1x Chain fist) MoK

I personally don't use possessed, but use the pieces for my other models, but you could take a unit of 5 with MoK if you want them.

Do you want Chosen? Try 10 with 5 flamers or a couple of meltas instead of some of the flamers, and MoK, in a rhno, making use of infiltrate to outflank.

10x summoned lesser daemons

10x summoned lesser daemons

Defiler

Obliterators x 2/3

7. ThanksAun'Vre thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

khärn has a personal icon himself, so it's unneeded to have one in the 9-man squad as well, not a lot of points, but still

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I honestly didn't expect that many replies that soon. Thanks!

To answer:

1. Who/what is kharn?
    2. I'm looking for 750 points to start, moving um in 250 point intervals.
    3. I've heard many different things about daemon princes; with what I've played against, the Daemon prince with MoK and some other stuff is quite effective, but when I get the codex I will have a look.
    4. What does warptime do?
    5. Rhinos are a very good idea
    6. Are obliterators those 2 wound terminator thingys or what?
    7. Bliss-giver, that list looks to be about what I want. But what about a Greater daemon? How good are they?

In addition to that, whats the deal with daemons in a CSM army? Are they like limited normal choices, or are they completely different?

Thanks again for all your help guys, I found this all very useful.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Each in turn:

1. Who/what is kharn?
    A: He's the Khorne Special Character- highly effective in close combat. Probably the most cost-effective Special Character we have. Although, a Daemon Prince tooled out with either Warp Time or Lash still trumps Kharn.

3. I've heard many different things about daemon princes; with what I've played against, the Daemon prince with MoK and some other stuff is quite effective, but when I get the codex I will have a look.
    They are by far our top pick for HQs. In fact, they're one of the bests HQs in the game.

4. What does warptime do?
    A: It's a psi power that let's you re-roll misses to hit and wound.

6. Are obliterators those 2 wound terminator thingys or what?
    A: Yep.

7.But what about a Greater daemon? How good are they?
    A: They're not bad, so long as you can get them into melee range. Problem is, if they're summoned too early, they are pretty easy to avoid- slow movement and all.

In addition to that, whats the deal with daemons in a CSM army? Are they like limited normal choices, or are they completely different?
    A: Lesser Daemons do not take up a Force Organization slot; hence, you can have as many as you can afford. The Greater Daemon is an 0-1 choice.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Just to expand a bit on what Rabbit said; Obliterators are much like a Terminator but they are affected by Warp-energy that has melded their flesh and armour together. They have a few things that make them special: 1) Their unit (up to 3 Oblits) may make their weapons any of the following: Lascannons, Twin Linked Flamers, Plasma Cannon, Multi-Melta, Twin Linked Plasma Guns or Twin Linked Melta Guns, 2) They get a 2+ armour save and a 5+ invulnerable save, 3) They have 2 wounds, 4) They each have a Powerfist, 5) although they are Slow & Purposeful, they may move and shoot their heavy weapons. The beauty thing about Oblits over a tank is, they will always fire when wounded. Tanks, if glanced or penetrated, may not fire for a round or get their weapons destroyed or worse. The only hitch is, Oblits can be instantly killed by any unsaved wound from a strength 8 weapon or greater. To help with this, I try and keep my Oblits in 4+ cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Khorne CSM army myself-- I don't use any psychic powers or any of that jazz for theme reasons, even though they are admittedly good in-game. In my mind there are only a few auto-includes in the codex, most of which have already been mentioned:

1: Demon Princes. Take 2 with wings. Yes they are that good. If nothing else what your opponent devotes to killing them isn't shooting at your rhinos.
    2: Rhinos. Berzerkers need rides
    3: Lesser demons. Fairly lackluster in general but great supporting troops because they can come in intact with no scatter where you need them... and then assault! They are great to bolster a charge, block a charge, as a screening unit, and as a scoring unit. Don't forget that last one-- the berzerkers can pop out a small unit of demons to go sit on an objective and keep on going. I usually run three units of these.
    4: Obliterators. These are the way to go. I never leave home without at least 2 of them. Plus, Khorne has plenty of demon engines etc etc so IMO you don't break theme to include them, especially if you convert them well.
    White Scars: 3500pts painted
    Blood Drinkers: in process
    Other armies: Chaos Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast