Making Deep Striking a bit easier - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: On average, how many times do you deep strike mishap per game?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll

10 34.48%

9 31.03%

6 20.69%

2 6.90%
  • 4 or more...

2 6.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Making Deep Striking a bit easier

Lets face it, as a Daemon player, you have probably mishaped on a deep strike more than once. It is one thing I hate about playing Daemons, especially if you lose a unit. Lose a unit for what? Nothing. Almost nothing that is. Remember, you tend to mishap when you are trying to gain a superior position on your opponent. I believe that other people besides myself are struggling with mishaps, so we open his thread to help get a clear understanding on the do's and don'ts of the dreaded Deep Strike. Here's things to think about:
    1) Icons work. They are also 25 points. Four Icons are worth a good Herald or the Masque. So how many are too many? I like to take one on the first wave. If you do take an icon, that icon will get pretty crowded on turn 2. I don't like to take more than 2 under 1500 points, but I'm not sure I'm right.
    2) Don't Deep Strike within 10" of any unit. Really? What do you do on turn three against a swarm army and your army has partially deployed and spread out? I don't think we can just say keep at a certain distance away at all times. Your unoccupied real estate changes as both armies move about. Deep Striking Bloodletters (for example) too far away from an enemy unit allows them to be shoot to bits before they can foot slog it up. So what is the best formula for Deep Striking? So far, I only Deep Strike close to an enemy if the unit is small (point-wise) and has breath of chaos. I Deep Strike troops (maybe with the exception of Horrors) within 8-10" of a unit I think they can kill and hopefully near cover. All others I hope to Deep Strike 10" away from the nearest danger. But that formula got my Soul Grinder a mishap just today. He scattered 11" off the board by an inch.
    3) Be Aware of your Terrain. New Daemon players often screw up the Deep Striking rule. You only mishap if you scatter off the board, onto or within 1" of any unit friendly or otherwise and into impassable terrain such as a building, lava etc. If you scatter onto a terrain that provides cover, you simply take a Dangerous terrain test for that unit. So by knowing your terrain, you can be prepared to scatter safely around it.
    Talking about Deep Striking I think will help all that have trouble with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

I dont usually have problems (although i have had problems lately getting my primary wave in). 1 icon in each wave is my mandate. You have to take the good with the bad with daemons. You just have to limit the randomness to something you can live with using icons and a 8" deepstrike rule.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

I am quite amazed that (as of the date of this post) that 6 people out of 13 voted that they average zero mishaps. However I have to admit, just in the last 4 games, with one being played on a small table, I have only mishapped once and it was placed back in reserve. The poll also proves another thing, just less than half the poll participants do mishap at least once per game. I basically made this post to help out with those who do struggle with it. It is my opinion that if you want to become a better player, you must recognize the flaws in your game and fix them. Deep Striking is one of mine. If you have any other tips to add to the list in the original post, please add them.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Tbh I can't remember the last time I saw our daemon player mishap.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

Mishaps are a variable of several things that change between players; how much terrain is used, how much of that terrain is dangerous or impassable, how many models are on the board, does the player spend the points and use Icons, is it a 2 on 2 match, how big the board is. These are all changing variables from game to game and from player to player. Just because one person tends not to mishap, it doesn't mean that others don't have problems with it. We tend to use a good amount of terrain for our games with some lava flows. I also tend to play armies that take up large areas of the board like Tyranids, Orks and the Guard. I also play as many 2 on 2 battles as I do 1 on 1 battles, so the board tends to fill up faster on turn two and three with a 2 on 2 battle. So what I am saying, my routine in playing Daemons has a pension for mishaps.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

For the record we mostly play 2kish 1v1 on a 6x4 board, with approx. 30-40% of the board covered in terrain, which itself is probably split 33% buildings and 66% area terrain. The daemon player usually has 1-2 icons in each half of his army, which itself usually has 2 soulgrinders, 2 big HQs (I forget what they are called) and a mix of bloodletters and plaguebearers for the troops. He also likes those tank eating shark things. He uses his first wave (usually plaguebearers) to surround the enemy leaving him space behind them to bring down his reserves behind, the plaguebearers charge multiple units where possibly tying them up ready for the bloodletters to come in and eat people.

There's various tactics online about deep striking and the chances of scattering which I know he's read repeatedly cos after his first two battles he suddenly became a lot better at judging his entry points
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x7)

I just had a 1 on 1 battle on a 4x6 table against the Blood Angels and found it was a big difference in the ability to Deep Strike safely. Even on round 3 the table wasn't cluttered. Even though he went first and could speed up into a forward position with fast vehicles, the number of things I could hit was low, so it was a lot easier on me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I never mishap anymore and havent for the past few years. This is how it is, its better to deepstrike farther away from mishap than take a chance and lose 150+ points of models. I never play ballsy anymore, slow and purposeful.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With luck alone I have avoided it for the most part, but when it happens, it always kills my unit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

I'll never forget my first daemons game. Deployed a unit of horrors 11 inches from a table edge in relatively open terrain. All in all , it was a safe spot to put them and there was a good chance I'd be in a good position to shoot some enemies too. Wrong. I rolled double 6s straight towards the table edge... Yea...
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast