Plaguebearers vs Horrors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plaguebearers vs Horrors

I have always been a big fan of horrors, but of late I find myself looking more towards Plaguebearers. Maybe it's because the dice gods haven't been on my side of late, and although I've still won my last 5 games, Horrors just don't seem to be hitting the mark.

I'm looking for some feed back on what others think about the two units. Would you prefer a 5 man unit of horrors dropping in, firing 15 S4 shots, only hitting on +4 tho and then getting wiped out on your opponents next shooting phase, or would you prefer a 5 man unit plaguebearers who could soak up more fire from the enemy and maybe last an extra round, drawing fire away from your second wave ?

The reason this is coming into question is, my last 3 games, my 3 unit's of horrors virtually have been failing to kill anything. Maybe one or 2 troops, if that. Why waste the points on a unit that's not thinning the lines when I could use those points in a unit that could provide more cover for my second wave ?

thoughts ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Id rather a unit of 10 horrors with bolt. They'll last a few turns. And can kill tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so let me put it this way. Playing against a lot of space marine players, would you prefer 10 horror's or 7 plaguebearers.

Against Tau, ork, nids and eldar, yes horrors are very effective, but against players with +3 armor saves, rolling +4 to hit then +4 to wound..... then they get a +3 armor save....not that effective...or you could deepstrike 7 plaguebearers, run them and spread them out into a nice line to give your next wave more cover?

This is the decision i'm faced with as 75 to 80% of all the 40k players in my area, are playing some sort of space marine / chaos space marine chapter.

This is the feed back i'm looking for. What have others found works better in a similar situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the plaguebearers, for 2 reasons.

They chill on my objective, likely gone to ground the whole game and laugh at people who try and shoot them off the objective.
    I will also drop 5 with an icon up the board, run to spread out and go to ground just so I can deep strike off them.

I had to start doing this as the last 6 games in a row I have not gotten my preferred wave.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Not everyone plays objectives. I usually don't. For that reason, I love Pink Horrors, especially with a bolt and the Changling. Plaguebearers definitely have their uses, but in my winning lists, Pink Horrors always outnumber the Plaguebearers. You should turn it around a bit and ask your opponent who he hates to face more, pink horrors or Plaguebearers. That can give you a clue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

It's up to you, but plaguebearers are definitely better for holding on to objectives. The problem is, that's all they do. Pink Horrors can harass infantry and destroy tanks.

It really comes down to the type of army you're using, but I personally like to have both in the army. I prefer 5 w/bolt, so you don't lose out on too much shooting if you use the bolt against a vehicle, and you don't lose as much if they get jumped by CC focused enemy units.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking as an Ork player I know I'm much more afraid of Horrors. I really don't mind coming up against Plaguebearers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my games, I play against mostly Guard, Tau and Ork, and Horrors wreck them. Plaugebearers are good at what they do, but suck at anythign else. Horrors can sit on objectives too, first just kill all nearbye enemy units first! That is what I do.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I found the key to running a good Horror list is to keep your Horror units smaller. I find 5-8 is a good number. You can at least put a bolt in each group and that is some serious firepower at a reasonable price.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I use 2x10 strong horror units and 1-2x6-7 strong PB squads.

The 20 horrors are fantastic against certain opponents such as Eldar, Tau, Nid warriors/steelers etc. Against MEQs 20 horrors are still ok, able to kill 5 MEQs on average even if they are in cover. Throw in a little daemonic gaze from freindly daemon princes and you can easily eliminate a devastator squad or some sternguard. The ability to thin out the enemy as you arrive is very important as it cuts down the return fire on the following enemy turn. I have with my army killed 2 lash princes on turn one using 20 horrors and 3 daemon princes. The enemy lost a great deal of control by this. Make sure to keep away from blast templates when you arrive as if you fire you will be packed together and vulnerable to blast markers. With the decent invulnerable saves I have survived nasty hits from a single vindicator but 4 frag missiles from devastators or a thunder cannon will ruin your prospects.

I also like PBs for the resilience and to bring them down in the second half to claim objectives that have been thinned out by all my early shooting. Bring them down in or near cover (you can run into it if the scatter is kind). You shouldn't worry aout the casualties from landing in cover. 5+ invulnerable followed by FNP should mean you only loose one PB in 18. T5 PBs who go to ground near an objective and have FNP are almost ummune to effective shooting and with the rest of the daemons being easier to kill and usually more of a threat to the enemy the survive well.

Personally I would never be without my 20 horrors and in 1500 points and over I will always add 6-21 PBs.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread