Librarium Online Forums banner

Question about Kharn the Betrayer

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bliss-giver 
#1 ·
How does Kharn's Blessing of the Blood God actually work?
F.e. an Eldar Farseer declares that he casts Mind War at Kharn. He passes the psychic test. Then I tell him that Kharn is immune. The psychic power is cancelled. Can the Farseer cast a 2nd power that turn or cast Mind War to another character?

#3 · (Edited)
Kharn is immune to the effects of psychic powers, and force weapons count as normal power weapons against him.
None of the offensive Eldar psychic powers can be cast on Kharn and actually that goes for everyone and their psychers. Now can psychic powers be cast against the squad that's he's in such as Doom that's the question :doh: think I'd say yea to psychic powers cast against the squad that hes in, but no, to say mind war cause it picks him out.

Hope this helped :)

EDIT: Didn't read the full question my bad, if the Farseer can cast more than one psychic powers and that was the first then the Farseer can continue to cast. If he can re-cast mindwar, that's entirely up to your sportsmanship, I think most people including myself would allowed him to re-use mindwar on a different target. It's only fair considering he didn't know he can't cast against Kharn, now get out there and spill some blood for the blood god!

#4 ·
if the farseer can only cast once per turn, then he is SOL if he tries to cast on kharn. the farseer still got to cast his weapon, it just wasn't able to do squat. he should think of it as the cost of learning a lesson.

now in reality, once someone declares he is going to cast a spell on kharn, more often than not the kharn player would tell him that kharn is immune. then the player would just declare a different target and roll the psych test. but once a psych test is rolled, then the attack is performed, and whatever happens happens.

in friendly games that's how i play it, but in a tournament i would let him roll his psych test before i kindly tell him that it was for naught. after all this is war.

#5 ·
You roll the psychic test, declare the target and resolve the power...Khârn ignores the resolving part, but the power is still cast at him and is counted as such...

If your opponent doesn't know Khârn is immune, his loss, he should know that by now when facing a three year old codex with no surprises in it...

#7 ·
I'm very friendly, but there are some limits, especially when those I play against have played longer than I have (I took a break from the game for eight years). I haven't faced anyone so far in 5th ed that doesn't know that Khârn is immune...

#10 ·
Courtesy towards mistakes certainly does have a limit. It's one thing your opponent is a newby, but we're more or less talking about players with some experience.

We game in a friendly environment, although targeting mistakes are not retractable. It's really no different than if I shot at a Land Raider with an autocannon, rolled to hit, and then realized my weapon can't even glance the Raider. I certainly would never expect my opponent to allow me the benefit of changing to another (suitable) target.

#11 ·
i frequently have to tell my opponent that kharn doesn't really give a rat's patooty about their force weapon. their reaction is always the same....dejection.

i thought everyone knew the rule of thumb in fighting kharn in CC is....don't.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
The same about avatar's Molten Body?
He shoots with his Dreadgnought at your Avatar, using a Multi Melta and a Heavy Flamer. He rolls to hit for the Melta and then you tell him "can't wound me hahaha. You wasted your Dreadgnought. How funny." If a player did this to me, I would definitely resign and ask for a rematch or simply never talk to this *** again.

#15 ·
Why the heck would you shoot an Avatar with a MM and HF? In friendly games I'd give them a little hint before he rolls to hit if it's a new player, but in a tournament I expect my opponent to know stuff, if they don't, their loss...

#17 ·
I always try the golden rule: If you don't know, ask. If the thought doesn't occur to you, well, you have to find out sometime. I had a guy hit my Great Unclean One (Daemon) with a Strength 10 weapon and wanted to target someone else once he found out it wouldn't instantly kill him.After the dice have rolled, it's too late. I'm as friendly, forgiving player as they come, but I play by the rules. By the rules, if you target someone and they are immune, it's a wasted effort. Keep smiling and go on, a fun game doesn't hinge on one element in the game.

#18 ·
Well thats a tad different isnt it andrewbeater?I mean one is a rule the other is a stat.Alsohe got his wound(propably?)so it was not a total waste so why give him a second chance?Now kharn has a ruling for those mindy powers and not everyone knows every rule.But i have to say if i played in a tourney i wouldnt allow my oponent to have a second target as i wouldnt expect them to do the same.A tourney is a tourney,a friendly is a friendly...

#19 ·
For me it depends on what the rule is, for a monstrous creature, I normally expect them to be eternal warrior, so ask, the same with some characters, but you still get the wound anyway. With immunity, it's not always obvious, or well known, so I often let them have that power/shot again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.