Undivided we stand! But I want a themed army... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undivided we stand! But I want a themed army...

Ok I was a 4th ed Iron Warriors player and i've recently returned to 40k after a good few years just playing Fantasy to pick up the "new" CSM codex and I'm a little deflated.

Want to do a cool themed Legion army, Death Guard etc but the new book doesn't offer anything tactfully viable. They stripped out the CSM codex to make up the Daemons codex and took the fun out of it, now all I can think of doing is a "Space Marine with spikes list" just to be competitive.

Is there any worth wile "God Dedicated" list that could still be competitive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Quite a few people still run all Plague Marines for their troops with Plasma/Melta-guns. Throw in a Nurgle D. Prince with Warptime, and some Oblitz and you had a themed army that can still do some damage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

The latest Chaos dex is late 4th edition anyway, and running a themed list is viable if not "perfectly" competitive, as long as you're not Night Lords... or anything other than Iron Warriors/Black Legion/<Nurgle>/<Khorne> (Yeah, Raptors and Bikers suck, and the cult slaanesh/tzeentch units are either too slow or too expensive, although regular CSM with a mark will probably work).
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

I'm running nothing but noise marines. I intend to MAKE the list competitive through a lot of continuous trash-talk (read: noise.)
    I really need to focus on a single army...
    Orkz: 3000 pts. Slaaneshi Chaos: 2500 pts.
    Ultramarines: 1250 pts. Necrons: 1000 pts.
    Eldar: 1000 pts. Tau: 1000 pts. Dark Angels: 550 pts. Grey Knights: 450 pts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

I have found that a Black Legion list with all cult troops is very nice to have. My Noise Marines are able to eaither put in a volume of fire or ap3 template. 1KSons are always nice to have against any marines army (and lets face it 1/2 the armies out there are marines, or even more so with Wolves, BA, and now GKs out), PMs are good the tieing up units and holding objectives, and Zerkers are... well they are Berzerkers, they kill everything in close combat.
    So what I am really saying is in most cases you can make it work to your advantage no matter what "theme" you go with, you just need to be smart about your support units and upgrades.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Khorne and nurgle themed armies can be very effective, you can make tzeentch and nurgle themed armies, but it's best to steer away from too many cult troops here as they're expensive.
    adamwelton "Bliss-giver is right as always."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Black Legion, Death Guard, and World Eaters are all fairly competitive themed armies.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread