Daemon Viability - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemon Viability

Hi There

Just wondering how Daemons are holding up now compared to the other armies, with regards viability.

Also, are mono and dual god lists workable or you you really need to combine them much more to get good results ?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

This answer to this both of these questions vary from person to person but I'll give it a go: 1) Against other armies, Daemons do well against most except for Imperial Guard and Grey Knights. Against all others that I've played, Daemons have a chance to win every time out. I personally have a very good record against Meq's (excluding Grey Knights), Orks, Tyranids and Eldar playing kill point games. I haven't always won with Daemons; it took a long time to figure out a good strategy on how to win and get the right mix of units. Which comes to the next part: 2) I have never run a mono-god army ever. I personally do not see why anyone should except for fun. I do know that people do run mono armies and like them. Khorne seems to be popular. But for me, I see all units available as a strength that I'm not willing to do without. I like a good mix of close combat and shooting which can only come from a mix.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

1) Grey knights and Imperial guard put the hurting on us. You have a chance against IG if they have no taken the guy who is -1 to enemy reserves. Eldar/Dark Eldar can be tough with the intense speed. But still squishy.

2) I use 3 gods, fateweaver, heralds tzeentch, horrors, DP w/ MoT, Blood crushers, Blood letters, and MoS princes.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Multigod lists are definately more competetive. The mono Nurgle epodemius list can be ok and the mono tzeentch list is probably the most able to stand up against most opponents with its moderate tank shooting ability.

I use GUO/HoT chariot, fiends/crushers/flamers, PB/Horrors and MoN/MoS/MoT princes.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I'm with MadCat almost 100% in the choices of units. The only one I don't own yet are Crushers, but I can win without them so far. One of the best units are the Herald of Tzeentch on chariot. Can't say enough of this low cost, high impact unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

I've had mixed successes with my Mono-Nurgle Epedeimus (sp?) lists, but I've yet to try them against GK. I'm probably averaging about a 50:50 win rate against a mix of MEQ and Eldar/Dark Eldar. Fortunately I've not had to face IG, as I'm also the local Guard player ;p

I built a mono-nurgle army because I wanted it to be thematic, although I did have to ram a soul-grinder or two in just for shinyness' sake. I also built it because I was on a budget (it was my 10th army after all!), and so the core of 40 Plaguebearers are converted WHFB Zombies, the demon prince moonlights from my CSM army, as do the spawn (who do double duty as beasts of Nurgle) and the GUO was an ebay bargain.

Personally I'd like to have seen a few more unit options for each of the Chaos Gods, to make mono-lists more flexible, and I'm sure eventually I will pick up some of the other units from the codex (and probably find ways to call them something Nurgly), but it just seems strained to have different flavour demons on the same side.
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info folks

Getting the feeling that while it will look more "in sync" on the table it will be more limited then, to the extent of loosing much of its competitive edge. On another note if I do want to do something mono god it then may be more of a trade off to go csm and include daemons...I've seen some nice deathguard / nurgle terminator conversion kits and dreadnoughts on forgeworld. No tzeentch ones though .

Appreciate the posts, thanks again, and still looking into it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

2x lash prince, tons of plague marines with melta guns and power fists in rhinos and obliterators, defilers, or vindicators. Done.

but realistically, the 2 armies are SO different game wise but so intertwined fluff wise.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

+ Reply to Thread