Why shouldn't I mix combi-weapons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Why shouldn't I mix combi-weapons?

I've often been told not to mix combi-weapons in terminator squads, but now that I'm looking at making a larger terminator squad and I was thinking why not?

I was thinking either 4 plasmas and 2 meltas or 3 of each, my thinking here is that if they're threatened by a vehicle, then they can use the meltas, but if threatened by infantry (or seeking them) then they can use their plasmas. I'm sure that a large unit will attract attention of many types, so ability to take on all threats seems useful.
    Also, after I've fired my meltas or plasmas once, I'm not getting any more use out of them, so it doesn't matter if I use them against another threat.

What does everyone else think?

adamwelton "Bliss-giver is right as always."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x2)

while true that chaos canon is to not mix combi weapons, i have never been one for following traditional wisdom. for troops, you want unit specialization, and you have the numbers to have enough units to handle any threat. so in that setting it makes sense to be consistent. terminators are different. we don't generally run more than one unit. since they tend to be fire magnets it is imperative they be able to handle anything, and that generally means tanks and other terminators. mixing melta and plasma is vital for this. it is our combi plasmas which allow our terminators to be competitive with assault terminators. and if you are taking on hordes there is always combi flamers.
    I love the smell of promethium in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

have you considered using a chain fist for the anti tank purpose? if you're close enough to get the melta bonus, you're close enough to charge, too. The only problem would be that you can't charge after a deep strike, but I'd find it too risky to teleport my terminators in within 6" of an opposing unit. Its also quite possible you scatter out of that range. Icons could solve this issue but if they become available in the 2nd turn, you might not be close enough to deep strike within 6" of an enemy tank.

Again, the good old "karmoon special" terminators come to mind, with the slight modification of a chain fist on the heavy flamer guy. All in all its 4 termies, 3 combi plas, heavy flamer and chainfist for 155 points. This unit is pretty effective against TEQ, MC, Tanks and hordes, while beeing pretty cheap and durable.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

The reason I want meltas is to take out walkers so that I don't have to assault them and lose men, equally it permits me to destroy a transport and assault the squad inside, finally, the last thing I want is to leave something like a vindicator alive, I can always shoot and assault if necessary.

Uber, yours is exactly the idea I was trying to get across, I want them multi-purpose and they need to be so, which is why I was wondering why I should stick to the idea of not mixing.

Personally I've never been much of a one for a karmoon special, useful as they are, I generally don't practise suicide missions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x2)

karmoon specials are great. i use a variant of it as my standard termi squad. a fist, 1 combi melta, 2 combi plasma, HF, and one champ on the fist for extra attacks.

as for a chainfist in lieu of melta...no way. any decent player will move his vehicles if he suspects a chainfist coming his way, and then you don't want all your anti armour needing a 6 to hit...not good odds. the melta is key.

if you are going to run 10 termis, i would definitely consider a mark for extra durability, either nurgle or tzeentch. i lean towards, MoT, as generally they will get hit with lots of AP2 fire. but it really depends on your opponent. i would also do a reaper and a heavy flamer, or two reapers. slogging 2 reapers will give you 4 S7 shots with rerolls to pop transports. that is really awesome. my buddy plays a rifleman dread with 2 TLAC, and every shot pretty much pops a transport. but i digress. i think i would do 3 melta and 3 plasma in the squad, throw in a few claws and fists, and you have got yourself a squad that can deal with pretty much anything in the game.

one of these days, i will get another squad of termis and run dual reapers with MoT. it will be awesome.

so bliss, bottom line, mix away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

It's OK to mix your combis but before mixing you need a minimum of each so that they can do what they are bought for. You want to kill tanks, take at least 3 combi-meltas, after that do whatever you want. With 3 combi-meltas statisticlly you hit 2, 2 penatrate, 1 destroys when you are in half range.

In small squads you have to have a minimum of each for the task so mixing is not a good idea. But in large squads you have the minimum covered, everything else is gravy or can give you a dual purpose. In a six man unit I would use 3 combi-meltas, 2 combi-plasmas and a heavy flamer. In a 10 man unit I would go for 4 combi-meltas, 2 heavy flamers, 1 combi-flamer, 3 combi-plasmas.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Uber, I didn't mean that karmoon specials were bad, just not my thing, but I've used them before in small games and they're definitely worth it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I was thinking 7 termis, one heavy flamer, MoT, 3 combi-meltas, 3 combi-plasmas, 2 fists, what does everyone else think?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x2)

sounds good. any champs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

Find 5 points to get at least one chainfist in the unit instead of a powerfist. If you have a spare 10 points at the end of building your army upgrade the chainfist wielder to a champion.
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Thanks, I intended to have a champ or two on the fists to get the most from them, and should have the points for a chainfist.

Thanks for all of the advice, and for convincing me that I can mix combi-weapons.

+ Reply to Thread