First battle with new necrons. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x2)

First battle with new necrons.

So I played against necrons tonight, and I was very eager to see how the would perform.

After the game I can say that the codex is extremely unbalanced. They are still pretty much worthless in close combat. The scar swarms are menacing looking, but not bad if you can drop some templates on them. The thing that stood out the most were the heavy support swimmers. They had a death ray that essentially was a S10 autohit. I've never seen anything like it.

I figured the best way to deal with them was just have a bunch of troops with melta guns. Once the skimmers were popped there really wasn't much left. So basically they were really tough on vehicles in the first rounds until you pop them, and then the army sucks.

I sure hope they do a better job with the new chaos codex.

I love the smell of promethium in the morning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Don't discount the new codex just because of 1 opponent. Most people still haven't really grasped how to play the new necrons yet, at least not how to play it well. The new necrons can be good. Doomscythes are ok but there are better....much better choices in the necron dex.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Don't discount the new codex just because of 1 opponent. Most people still haven't really grasped how to play the new necrons yet, at least not how to play it well. The new necrons can be good. Doomscythes are ok but there are better....much better choices in the necron dex.
    *echoed
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

I haven't met them yet, but am very anxious to set my fangs in their metallic husks myself...

...they will die by my hand, Hydra Dominatus!!!
    win some, lose some

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51 (x2)

This is true. He is a pretty weak list maker. In fact he prefers to have everyone's list made before he chooses his army, as he doesn't want people to know what they're facing in making a list.
    That way he's on the same footing, as he can't put together lists that he didn't read online.
    I love the smell of promethium in the morning.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

I kind of agree, Necrons still aren't great in combat, but with a couple of exceptions, namely the characters (as always) and Licheguard with shields. I watched 5 shielded Licheguard beat the crap out of 10 Incubi, they ran into the Licheguard, the DE player had a big grin when he rolled all his attacks which promptly faded when he realised they were T5 (he didn't know beforehand) and then the Licheguard passed their Invulnerable saves and subsequently creamed the Incubi.

Necrons may go last against most things (except Powerfists), but their combat Elites will back a punch if they get a chance to hit. Also, their ability to get back up from anything on a 5+ (4+ with orb) means you have to dedicate to wiping out squads, instead of killing enough off so they no longer pose a threat. It is annoying seeing a Necron take a power weapon to the face and stand back up.....

Necrons were never supposed to be brilliant in combat anyway, it's the mid-close range fire-fight where they excel.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Necrons may go last against most things (except Powerfists), but their combat Elites will back a punch if they get a chance to hit. Also, their ability to get back up from anything on a 5+ (4+ with orb) means you have to dedicate to wiping out squads, instead of killing enough off so they no longer pose a threat. It is annoying seeing a Necron take a power weapon to the face and stand back up.....

Necrons were never supposed to be brilliant in combat anyway, it's the mid-close range fire-fight where they excel.
    This sums it up quite nicely. I've played a few battles against the new Necrons and if there is one thing I learned, it's to concentrate fire on a unit with the We'll be back rule until it is totally gone, and thus bypassing the rule. Units with high priority are the Necron elites and skimmers, every other unit we can pretty much destroy with shooting ourselves or in close combat.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Just had a battle against a competitive Chaos Marine army with my competitive necrons. You want to see what necrons are capable of? Check out my battle report (Who Says CSM Aren't Competitive? 2K Competitive Necrons vs Abaddon's Chaos Marines).
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread