Pink Horrors are fun. What about 60 of them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Pink Horrors are fun. What about 60 of them?

So, I'm currently sitting on roughly 40 Pink Horrors and I looked at a box in my LGS one day and joked that I'd only need two more boxes to fill my troops with units of 10. Then I actually thought about it and now I'm thinking about doing it. Whether it's good or not, my lists are all mono-Tzeentch and when I do break out the daemons book, I usually run 30 or so in 1000 points with two Bolt/Gaze princes and a standard Tzerald (Chariot, BoT/MoS). After doing the math, if you took took them in units of 10 with bolt, two with icons, and one with the changeling it comes to 1135 points. That's 180 S4 attacks. Toss in a few Tzeralds and Tzentch Princes and you have a fun time. What do you guys think?

40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I regularly use 31 horrors in my lists. (The 17 points of the last one seemlesly rounds up the 333 for fateweaver to a nice 5 points.)
    I take a unit of 11 to protect the changeling & icon, then 4x5 with bolt upgrade. I like their firepower and the ability to thin out an area around where you arrive to reduce the casualties you take in the following turns. By putting them in reserve they can still contribute on arrival unlike say bloodletters who arrive turn 4 then can only charge on turn 5 so may not see action. I think 60 horrors may be a little over the top as you become vulnerable to being locked in combat by certain armies. Blood Angels with jump pack infantry backed up with FNP priests for example will be tough to take them all out before they catch you in combat.

As long as you can get all 3 princes with MoT, Bolt & Gaze and a chariot or two then filling the rest with horrors can be fine but always take HQ + 3 heavy first. Flamers work well in combination with horrors coming in from reserve near a horror icon can plaster lots of wounds allowing very few saves on a large combat unit. They are great against armoured infantry and the horrors can clean up the stragglers after they shoot.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Well, call me crazy, but my Changeling unit is 18 w/Icon! It has only died out a couple of times and it scares the crap outa most opponents.

I also enjoy those moments when all 18 of 'em get to shoot nd I unleash 54/S4/ap4 shots into some poor squad. It's even cleared out hammernator squads through sheer wieght of fire! Hordes hate it as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I've never considered using that many, but I gotta tell you, Pink Horrors are my favourite Troop choice hands down. I'd be afraid to drop a big unit for fear the large footprint would lead to more mishaps; does that happen?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

The large foot print is honestly my biggest concern, especially if the opponent is smart and covers a lot of the field. 10 horrors is fairly manageable, but I'd be afraid to use 18 unless I knew I was going to be able to drop on an Icon or a nice wide open space. Pink Horrors are my favorite troops as well, and I much prefer them over Plague Bearers anyway. They're not quite as durable, but they make up for it in usefulness.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Since horrors are primaraly shooty units the large squad size doesn't add much appart from protecting the icon and changeling. A squad of 10 and another of 8 with one icon in the larger unit are probably just as good and less vulnerable to misshaps or being locked in worhtless combats by a stunned dread.

I have had 11 horrors charged by a dread and the opponent insisted we all pile in (rightly so) and so I couldn't get the nearby daemon prince into base contact with the dread until I lost 4 or so models. If the unit had been 18 it would have taken all game to be whittled down to that number. The firepower of a big unit is good but then 10+8 horrors can just shoot the same target and the effect is much the same.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    I've never considered using that many, but I gotta tell you, Pink Horrors are my favourite Troop choice hands down. I'd be afraid to drop a big unit for fear the large footprint would lead to more mishaps; does that happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    The large foot print is honestly my biggest concern, especially if the opponent is smart and covers a lot of the field. 10 horrors is fairly manageable, but I'd be afraid to use 18 unless I knew I was going to be able to drop on an Icon or a nice wide open space. Pink Horrors are my favorite troops as well, and I much prefer them over Plague Bearers anyway. They're not quite as durable, but they make up for it in usefulness.
    My 18 strong unit is made up of the old metal pinkies which came out with the Hordes of Chaos book in 6th ed fantasy. They rank-up base-to-base quite nicely when they deep strike in and footprint isn't that bad really, it's basically about the same as landing say 3 bloodcrushers.
    Now I agree that if I tried a unit of 18 with the new plastic horrors, it would be a nightmare! Their arms are all over the place and I find I have a difficult time getting them all to keep in Btb when the deep strike in. Usually there will be a bit of space between some of them, otherwise I'd be bending/breaking fingers or tounges and/or some of the other dangly bitz on their arms.

I have only hade a few dangerous terrain losses here and there with the unit. The only times they've mishapped has been against d-bags running warp quake spam lists.
    Now my Herald of Khorne + Failletters... They are an entirely different story! >.<

@Mad Cat : I've honestly never had the huge unit locked up by a dreadnought/killa kan/wraithlord or the like. Granted those units, pysfleman aside, aren't very popular in my area so I only see them typically played in the kiddies armies.

The odd time I do see a dread, I make it my top priority target and bolt the hell out of it so it can't lock down my units! I find that our army is honestly pretty pants against walkers in combat since we're limited mainly to our MC's being able to do the job. Everything else is relying on things like rending hits or S6/7. (or else they simply can't scratch it to begin with!)
    I kinda hope that if/when we eventually get a new codex, one of the things we get is more access to S8 for say our Khornate squads since we are kinda lacking in that department! It's annoying that almost everyone else gets easy access to squad leaders who can take power fists/klaws while we're stuck with rending...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

I miss the old metal pinkies. Do yo know what it's like trying to rank these knew ones FOR FANTASY? It's a nightmare.

I don't think I'd take a unit of 18 unless I was out of FoC slots and wanted more Horrors, but 6 units of 10 should be plenty.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

I personally put six packs of ten down as fire magnets then drop two Lords of Change in for anti-tank fun and games. I've some Flamers as well but they're an expensive luxury I apply when playing over 1750 points. The only let-down is if someone knows what they're doing and isn't intimidated by this sport of thing and decides to rush me, then I've had it. The Horrors don't last more than a turn or two when getting filled in by anyone really.

Oh, and every single model is a classic original-gribbly Pink AND Blue Horrors and two Lords that cost me £6.99 each in 1996 and they were going out of production then (1990 date stamp on the slotta). I can use the two-headed one as Fateweaver as well. I'm such a clever boy, Tzeentch really smiles down on me. Shame about my dice...

P.S. If you want to rank the gribbly ones for Fantasy, slot them into a base at a diagonal angle. They don't look silly and nobody can complain as long as you point out their base front. I've had this luxury for ages and unless you're facing some right jobsworth twat, you should come up trumps.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

What about taking Fateweaver with some Kitted out Tzeentch DPs or at least Tzeentch DPs with wings? That way you have some melee punch as well. I know the Fateweaver mono-tzeentch battle bunker is fun with 3 DPs. Again, this is with 60 horrors because that's what this thread is about xD

At 2000 points, you could have Fateweaver, 61 horrors (6 bolts, changeling and two icons), and 3 DPs with MoT, Gaze/Bolt with 35 points to spare. Wings are just obscenely expensive, sadly. However that list sounds like a ton of fun and could be very annoying for almost any opponent. Even if you lose, you probably had fun with it =D

12. Likeadamwelton liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast