Weapons for Plague Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best weapons load for Plague Marines?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powerfist, meltagun, meltagun

12 36.36%
  • Powerweapon, meltagun, meltagun

0 0%
  • Powerfist, plasmagun, plasmagun

22 66.67%
  • Powerweapon, plasmagun, plasmagun

5 15.15%
  • Powerfist, flamer, flamer

1 3.03%
  • Powerweapon, flamer, flamer

0 0%
  • Powerfist, meltagun, plasmagun

1 3.03%
  • Powerweapon, meltagun, plasmagun

1 3.03%
  • Powerfist, meltagun, flamer

0 0%
  • Powerweapon, meltagun, flamer

0 0%
  • Powerfist, plasmagun, flamer

0 0%
  • Powerweapon, plasmagun, flamer

1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Weapons for Plague Marines

As I'm slowly starting my Nurgle-army project I've been wondering about the weapon setup for the Plague Marine squads: Powerfists or Powerweapons? Melta or Plasma? Or both?

I'll be putting up a poll for this and would love to hear your opinions and experiences.

NOTE #1: Poll allows multiple options.

NOTE #2: Don't let the Powerfist/Powerweapon in each option to confuse you. If you don't like upgrading into Champions just vote for what you'd most likely use if you did upgrade or vote for both Powerfist/Powerweapon options in the proper special weapon categories.

Last edited by Polaria; February 13th, 2012 at 19:15.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

5-man squads with twin melta, no champion...

If you still decide on a champion, go power fist, as I3 isn't all that great and he'll probably go last anyway...
    win some, lose some

4. Likeadamwelton liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like either two meltas or two plasma guns. If I HAD to have an aspiring champion it would have a powerfist.

6. Thanksadamwelton thanked for this post.
    LikeTheNightbringer liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrack This View Post
    I like either two meltas or two plasma guns. If I HAD to have an aspiring champion it would have a powerfist.
    Agreed. Plague Marines are ideal carriers of the plasmagun, rapid firing it into the faces of loyalist dogs. Overheat? Pfeh. We feel no pain!
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

8. LikeBladeweaver, adamwelton liked this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5-man squads with double meltaguns or plasmaguns. If facing orks, nids or daemons, you should include some 6-7 man squads with double flamers.
    Don't take Power Fists or Power Weapons. They are not very cost effective and, since PMs are not CC-oriented, they will be useless in most of your games. I mean 40 points for a single fist with 2 attacks and WS4 or 30 points for a S4 I3 3-attacked power weapon is not that good. For 40 points, you can take 4 combi-meltas on your rhinos.
    You could include one fist, though, if you have spare points from the double-warptimes you used to have in your Nurgle-Princes before the FAQ that nerfed it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightbringer View Post
    You could include one fist, though, if you have spare points from the double-warptimes you used to have in your Nurgle-Princes before the FAQ that nerfed it.
    Since this is my very first CSM list ever and I only have a few models yet I don't have any Daemon Princes yet... I was actually thinking about taking a Termie Sorcerer for my first HQ.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Since this is my very first CSM list ever and I only have a few models yet I don't have any Daemon Princes yet... I was actually thinking about taking a Termie Sorcerer for my first HQ.
    I've never played Nurgle Sorcerers. I can't think of any uses they might have, except for Nurgle's Rot if facing orks or nids.
    You could take a MoS/LoS Sorcerer in a Land Raider with Terminators/Zerkers/Possessed for 1st turn charges and other nasty things or a Tzeentch Sorcerer with either Bolt or Wind AND Gift to help with characters/MCs with Gift and/or Force Weapon.

Nevertheless, Daemon Princes are still our best HQ, even without Warptime. You should try them, both with MoN and with MoS/LoS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I had to go with the Fist, Melta/Melta & Fist, Plasma/Plasma. I never want to mix the weapons as I feel the CSM need dedicated rolls. And I always take a fist to help with any Dreads or ICs that decide that they want to charge in to prevent me from shooting. Even in a 5-man squad you have a good chance that your champ will survive to hit back with his fist, just don't get into h2h with a unit with a ton of Power Weapon attacks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the: "No Powerfist/power weapon double plasma or melta" option in this poll?

Seriously if you run 7+ you can get a champ with either powerfist (if you can afford the point cost) or with a power weapon.
    If you use small units consisting of 5-6 dudes then run them without the champion with either two meltas or two plasmas.
    Plama guns are more all-round while meltas are for tank-hunting.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRe-roll View Post
    Where is the: "No Powerfist/power weapon double plasma or melta" option in this poll?
    See original post, Note #2.

The poll already had whopping 12 choises, would it really be that much better with 18 choises?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast