Eldar problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eldar problems

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Eldar problems

I do pretty well against most armies, but I am having trouble with Eldar and two units in particular: Wraithlords and the Avatar. I can't imagine that I am the only one who has problems killing the Wraithlord. At strength 10 and toughness 8, he is a tough nut to crack. Not to mention my son can run three of them. I've tried a few things: I had a group of Flamers come down because the Breath ignores armour and wounds on a 4+. Usually I can get a wound or two then get assaulted and die. I have some Bolts of Tzeentch that sometimes wounds. Recently I had Plaguebearers go at him with poison weapons to some degree of success, but I find that they do not generate enough attacks and a lot of times die to wounds and fearless wounds. The Avatar isn't as bad, but my son loves to cast Fortune on him every round. This tactic does two things, it makes me try to kill his Farseer and of course it lets the Avatar reroll all his saves. I find that a Tzeentch Daemon Prince is fairly even with the Avatar, but when it has fortune cast on it, the Prince loses. It's not all bad, I have had the odd win against them, but I usually don't. Is there any clear tricks you guys have for Eldar that I may have overlooked? Especially with 2 Wraithlord (his usual list) and an Avatar backed by a Farseer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    Especially with 2 Wraithlord (his usual list) and an Avatar backed by a Farseer.
    First of all, ouch. Second of all, and i know it doesn't help but its priceless when a wraithlord kills himself from mindshackle scarabs. Third of all, tell him that is he uses the wraithlords, he can find a new house.

Being serious and as helpful as i can be now that i got that out, i have a hard time dealing with them also. I usually run skulltaker in a chariot backed up with a nurgle price or two with 2+ poisoned. Skulltaker chops heads off, so this is often helpful and i find that the 2+ poisoned MC attacks work the best. Our eldar player and i like to customize our lists against each other, so i usually grab scarbrand for the re-rolls. The more attacks that hit the better, and S9 on the charge isn't bad either, but watch out because the wraithlord will also make him re-roll failed hits. Spamming gifts of chaos to convert him into a spawnd would be fun, but probably won't happen. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

You know, I never thought of ole Skulltaker especially on a chariot. I actually just built a Chariot for him because without it, he isn't worth his points. I fear that if Skulltaker isn't in a big enough horde to protect him, the stupid Eldar will just Bladestorm him to death. I find it frustrating that Bloodletters die so easily for the points they are worth. I do love the Hellblades mind you. I also play Necrons and love mindshackle scarabs by the way. Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Maybe try Skulltaker on a Juggernaut in a group of Juggernauts. I find that Skulltaker on a chariot tends to be a fire magnet, and if that Avatar is near any Dire Avengers, one Bladestorm will wipe him out. Stick him with a few Juggernauts and you have a tough meatshield and still more attacks to throw at the Avatar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

The real question here seems to be why would you by your son 3 Wraithlords? It's like auto win for Eldar in most cases.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

A nurgle prince w/noxious touch + cloud of flies will sort out his wraithlords. You hit him on 3's, wound on 2's and he gets no save. On the charge, odds are in your favour that his wraithlord is a pile of steaming, shredded, oozing fecal-pus! Then drink in his tears of denial!

Against an avatar, my favourite thing to do is show him what a *real* war god's avatar looks like and sick a 'thirster on him!

Of corse, if you want to really play up the emnity, drown him in Slaaneshii goodness! Those rending attacks can really pile-up fast.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Fiends for the win! It wouldn't be considered tailoring because most good daemon players take fiends anyways. They should put out enough rending attacks to kill the wraithlords and perhaps even the avatar as well, though you may have better luck with Fateweaver trying to turn him into a spawn instead. At least they're both be re-rolling all saves. Lol.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Willance View Post
    The real question here seems to be why would you by your son 3 Wraithlords? It's like auto win for Eldar in most cases.
    Not by a long shot. Missile wolves, razor-spam, vendetta-IG and dark eldar will wipe the floor with wraithdar.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbeater View Post
    You know, I never thought of ole Skulltaker especially on a chariot. I actually just built a Chariot for him because without it, he isn't worth his points. I fear that if Skulltaker isn't in a big enough horde to protect him, the stupid Eldar will just Bladestorm him to death. I find it frustrating that Bloodletters die so easily for the points they are worth. I do love the Hellblades mind you. I also play Necrons and love mindshackle scarabs by the way. Thanks for the advice.
    Skulltaker belongs with a squad of bloodcrushers. That's how he survives and if you really want to be nasty, add Fateweaver to the mix.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    Maybe try Skulltaker on a Juggernaut in a group of Juggernauts. I find that Skulltaker on a chariot tends to be a fire magnet, and if that Avatar is near any Dire Avengers, one Bladestorm will wipe him out. Stick him with a few Juggernauts and you have a tough meatshield and still more attacks to throw at the Avatar.
    Good point, should have though of that.

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Things to take out the avatar and WraithLords.

-Fiends
    -BloodThirsters
    -PlaugeBearers(wraithlord..they will tarpit the avatar though, makes him wound you on a 3 and you may get some wounds in with poison..but it will take a slightly larger group than usual to deal with him)
    -Nurgle Princes
    -Bolts of Tzeentch (WraithLord, it will wound the Avatar but he will bounce it off more likely than take it)
    -Deamonettes (for Both...Rending ftw)

Our Codex has more than enough to handle those Tasty Eldar Lords

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast