Newbie Posting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello... am a newbie to this forum but decided to post something. I recently came up with this idea for a the Lost and the Damned character, I'd like to post it here and get feed back but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this or if this is the right forum. Sorry if not allowed/wrong forum :blush:

The Grand Necromagus of the LO Codex: Necromancers Design Team.

The Supreme Lance Leader of the Codex: Wasters Design Team.

Cruelty has a Human Heart
    And Jealousy a Human Face
    Terror, the Human Form Divine
    And Secrecy, the Human Dress

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noone's said I can't I guess I may as well post it up. Keep in mind that this is my first ever real attempt at making a character, and I know I stink at it. I'd really like some feedback on him, mainly in regards to changing fluff/points cost/rules.

I got the inspiration for this guy from a character in a gothic horror rpg, the Nightmare Man, a former wizard now covered from head to toe in spider-like creatures which literally create nightmares.

Maelvorn; Haunter of the Darkness, The Fearbringer, He who Feeds on Terror
    Maelvorn is a special character usable in an army of the Lost and the Damned; he counts as an Arch-Heretic-Sorcerer (which means he can use one psychic power per turn from his choice of three below and is a HQ choice)).

There are many tales as to the origin of the forsaken heretic known as the Fearbringer, countless deeds of depravity and slaughter are attributed to him, but none know the truth… none except him. What is known is that he is a sadistic monster, an alpha-plus psyker whose form and features are hidden by a scuttling, seething mass of venomous spiders, which crawl all over his body leaving only his malevolent glowing eyes exposed. These noxious vermin seem to respond to the mental will of the beast, and there are rumours that his body is actually long gone, that he is given form solely by the tame horde of arachnids. Appearing from nowhere to cause fear and misery, the villain claims to feed upon the torment of others, drinking in their fear and being nourished by it as though it were ambrosia. In appearance, he is always dressed in a cloak and cowl of some unknown material, which hides the mass of spiders which covers his physical features. He is a silent killer, making no sound other than to occasionally speak in a hissing whisper or the occasional contented sigh as he basks in the torture and terror of some hapless victim.

Stats:
    Ws: 5
    Bs: 5
    S: 5
    T: 4
    W: 4
    I: 5
    A: 3
    Ld: 10
    Sv: 3+

Skills and Equipment:
    Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Strength, Infiltrate, Night Vision, Mind Flayer, Death’s Kiss, Terrorbolt, Waking Nightmares, Shadow Walk

Special Rules:
    Terrifying Presence, Spiderhost, Webbing

Details:
    Mind Flayer: the twisted sword Maelvorn carries is a fearsome Daemon Blade, entrapping a torturous entity which can flense the soul of its victims and force them to live their deepest fears. Daemon Weapon, Ignores Armour, enemies with more than 1 Wound who suffer an unsaved wound from this weapon are at –1 Ws, Bs, Strength and Attack for the rest of the battle- but no stat can ever be reduced below 1.

Death’s Kiss: This exotic gun bears something in figure to an Imperial Needler- and something more to a Dark Eldar Splinter Pistol, but the venoms which this lethal weapon carries are more potent by far than either. Pistol with the following stats: Range 16?, Ap 4, Assault 2, the poisons carried on the bullets are so potent that they wound any target on a To Wound roll of 5+, regardless of toughness.

Terrorbolt: As a telepath who claims to feed on the emotions of horror and dread, Maelvorn has developed a telepathic blast which seems to literally scare the target to death. Psychic Power, requires a Psychic Powers Test to be used. May be used during the Shooting Phase instead of firing the Death’s Kiss, has Range 24?, Str 8, Ap 3. This power follows the same rules regarding wounding as the Neural Shredder of a Culexus Assassin (Codex: Witchhunters/Daemonhunters). This means that the targets Ld score is used instead of Toughness and that vehicles targeted simply roll a D3 on the Glancing Hits table.

Waking Nightmares: Another of Maelvorn’s sadistic telepathic abilities, this power allows him to force all those who can see him to see the images of their worst fear. Of good fortune for the loyal soldiers of the Imperium is that this power also has a tendency to affect his own followers as well… Psychic Power, requires a Psychic Power Test to be used. This power is used during the Assault Phase and affects all enemy units which can draw LoS to Maelvorn, all such units must make an immediate Pinning test. Allied units who fulfil the same condition must roll a D6, on a 6 that unit is also affected. This power has no effect on units which are immune to Morale/Pinning tests.

Shadow Walk: This power is how Maelvorn has avoided being captured or slain so far. Utilising a form of mental teleportation, Maelvorn can instantly leap from one place to another with ease. He is rumoured to normally utilise this power to play sadistic mind games with prisoners, constantly teleporting from one dark place to another and verbally assaulting them. Psychic Power, requires a Psychic Power Test to be used. This power is used during the Movement Phase instead of moving normally. This power means that Maelvorn (and any unit he has joined) is instantly removed and can be replaced anywhere on the tabletop using the rules for Deep Strike. In addition, when Maelvorn is wounded by an Instant Death attack make a Psychic Power Test; if successful he has utilised Shadow Walk and teleported away. Remove the character from the battlefield, he takes no further part in the game but your opponent does not receive the Victory Points for killing him.

Terrifying Presence: Like many of the heretical followers of Chaos, Maelvorn rules through fear. On the battlefield, it is his enemies who feel the full force of his malignant ability to inspire dread, an ability which is compounded equally of his telepathic powers, his horrifying appearance and his various grisly trophies. Enemies who wish to engage Maelvorn or a unit which he has joined in close combat must first pass a Morale test, those wishing to shoot at Maelvorn or a unit which he has joined suffer a –1 To Hit penalty. Maelvorn is utterly immune to Morale failure himself and any unit he joins shares this ability (being more afraid of him than of the enemy&#33.

Spiderhost: As has been mentioned before, Maelvorn is accompanied at all times by a massive swarm of countless millions of lethally venomous spiders, which crawl all over his body and clothes. This swarm is theorised to respond to some manner of telepathic signal and is believed to have developed into a collective consciousness or hive mind, with Maelvorn as the “Hive Leader?. Due to this, the twisted vermin act in defense of their host, swarming over nearby threats and injecting them with massive amounts of venom. At the end of each Close Combat phrase, provided Maelvorn is still alive, all enemies in base-to-base contact with him suffer D6 Strength 3 hits. These hits Ignore Armour (the spiders simply crawl into the chinks) and automatically wound on a To Wound roll of 6+ (due to the venom).

Webbing: Through the twisted bondage of his “pets?, Maelvorn is capable of utilising their silk for his own purposes. During the Shooting Phase, instead of firing Death’s Kiss or using Terrorbolt Maelvorn may choose instead to spray silk. Place the flamer template with the tip of the narrow end touching his base. All directly under the template are hit automatically, those partially covered are hit on a 4+. The silk “attack? is Strength 4 and causes a Pinning test if one or more casualties are inflicted. Because the casualties have simply been immobilised in a cacoon of spider silk, casualties inflicted by the attack don’t carry on to the next battle in campaign games- unless Maelvorn’s force wins, in which case assume the captives have been dragged off to his lair to be tortured to death. In addition, Maelvorn can scale vertically impassable terrain without a hindrance, using his pet spiders to spin web ropes on which he can climb.

Quote: Is that FEAR you’re feeling, Ssspace Marine? Oh yesss… it’sss fear alright… I know, I can TASSSTE it! And they shall know no fear… isssn’t that what they sssay of you? They are foolsss! There isss no form of life in the universsse that isss immune to the icy cold touch of dread… fear and death- thessse are the conssstantsss of the universsse! Yesss… let it grow… let it… CONSSSUME you! Feel it! Feel the fear!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woops! sorry, mistake in the rules; Death's Kiss wounds all targets on a 3+ and not a 5+ :blush: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude this character is awesome, a little too awesome. I think you should take a few of his abilities away and make him a points cost somewhere around 320 at the very most. (If a strength 8 weapon hit him you'd lose a 450 point character)
    Maybe he could have his own private army of giant Arachnids and things that would bring terror to any creature!
    You could transfer a few of his abilities to them instead of making him so many points. For instance there could be a giant spider that can shoot the web thing as one of it's weapons or a creature that makes things see their worst fears like some sort of psychic creature. The mass of spiders could either give him some extra toughness or an invulnerable save. He could also be like a tyranid synapse creature! I think this is some really good stuff you've come up with- espescially as a first go!

The only problems are- the 450 point cost (which I mentioned above)- you aren't supposed to post the rules out of a codex (neural shredder thing) on a forum and you might have a hard time moddeling him!

Nice Work
    Psychic-Construct of the Codex necromancers design team
    Books of the Imperium;
    29. Thou shalt not use they bolter to kill bees.
    74. Thy shalt not tip the Terminators over during battle.
    Codex Necromancers:
    http://www.freewebs.com/fortyk/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonder why noone else is saying anything? :huh:
    Books of the Imperium;
    Codex Necromancers:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to see someone's taken a look at him, thank's for your feedback. I made his so expensive because I thought he was too powerful, but if you think I should lower it...
    And about that Instant Death thing, if you check out his Shadow Walk psychic power, it's not so easy to Instant Death him as you may think. But which powers do you reckon I shoul let him keep, and which should I move to new units (the Spiderhost stays, its his signitaure). What do reckon about the fluff, I tried my hardest to think of something, the quote actually took the longest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to see someone's taken a look at him, thank's for your feedback. I made his so expensive because I thought he was too powerful, but if you think I should lower it...
    And about that Instant Death thing, if you check out his Shadow Walk psychic power, it's not so easy to Instant Death him as you may think. But which powers do you reckon I shoul let him keep, and which should I move to new units (the Spiderhost stays, its his signitaure but I think I'll try and make some spider-based creatures, maybe they should be Heavy Support?). I'm sorry about the Neural Shredder thing, I didn't know whether I should just make that reference to the rules or just use the rules- ended up going for both.

What do you reckon about the fluff, I tried my hardest to think of something, the quote actually took the longest!

Also, I'm working on some new stuff for Inquisitor, do you think I should post that to the Inquisitor sub-forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the doubled-up reply, made a mistake .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Spacmarine after about an hour thinking over your suggestions I have reworked my character and made some changes. Without further ado, I present to you; the 2nd version of the Haunter of Night!

Maelvorn; Haunter of the Darkness, The Fearbringer, He who Feeds on Terror
    Maelvorn is a special character usable in an army of the Lost and the Damned; he counts as an Arch-Heretic-Sorcerer (which means he can use one psychic power per turn from his choice of two below and is a HQ choice)).

There are many tales as to the origin of the forsaken heretic known as the Fearbringer, countless deeds of depravity and slaughter are attributed to him, but none know the truth… none except him. What is known is that he is a sadistic monster, an alpha-plus psyker whose form and features are hidden by a scuttling, seething mass of venomous spiders, which crawl all over his body leaving only his malevolent glowing eyes exposed. These noxious vermin seem to respond to the mental will of the beast, and there are rumours that his body is actually long gone, that he is given form solely by the tame horde of arachnids. Appearing from nowhere to cause fear and misery, the villain claims to feed upon the torment of others, drinking in their fear and being nourished by it as though it were ambrosia. In appearance, he is always dressed in a cloak and cowl of some unknown material, which hides the mass of spiders which covers his physical features. He is a silent killer, making no sound other than to occasionally speak in a hissing whisper or the occasional contented sigh as he basks in the torture and terror of some hapless victim.

Stats:
    Bs: 5
    A: 3
    Sv: 3+/4+*

Skills and Equipment:
    Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Strength, Infiltrate, Night Vision, Mind Flayer, Death’s Kiss, Terrorbolt, Shadow Walk

Special Rules:
    Terrifying Presence, Spiderhost, Spider Master

Details:
    Mind Flayer: the twisted sword Maelvorn carries is a fearsome Daemon Blade, entrapping a torturous entity which can flense the soul of its victims and force them to live their deepest fears. Daemon Weapon, Ignores Armour, enemies with more than 1 Wound who suffer an unsaved wound from this weapon are at –1 Ws, Bs, Strength and Attack for the rest of the battle- but no stat can ever be reduced below 1.

Death’s Kiss: This exotic gun bears something in figure to an Imperial Needler- and something more to a Dark Eldar Splinter Pistol, but the venoms which this lethal weapon carries are more potent by far than either. Pistol with the following stats: Range 16?, Ap 4, Assault 2, the poisons carried on the bullets are so potent that they wound any target on a To Wound roll of 3+, regardless of toughness.

Terrorbolt: As a telepath who claims to feed on the emotions of horror and dread, Maelvorn has developed a telepathic blast which seems to literally scare the target to death. Psychic Power, requires a Psychic Powers Test to be used. May be used during the Shooting Phase instead of firing the Death’s Kiss, has Range 24?, Str 8, Ap 3. This power roll To Wound against the targets Ld score instead of their Toughness. Vehicle crews are protected by their armour, so a vehicle targeted simply rolls a D3 on the Glancing Hits table.

Shadow Walk: This power is how Maelvorn has avoided being captured or slain so far. Utilising a form of mental teleportation, Maelvorn can instantly leap from one place to another with ease. He is rumoured to normally utilise this power to play sadistic mind games with prisoners, constantly teleporting from one dark place to another and verbally assaulting them. Psychic Power, requires a Psychic Power Test to be used. This power is used during the Movement Phase instead of moving normally. This power allows Maelvorn (and any unit he has joined) are instantly removed and can be replaced anywhere on the tabletop using the rules for Deep Strike. In addition, when Maelvorn is wounded by an Instant Death attack make a Psychic Power Test; if successful he has utilised Shadow Walk and teleported away. Remove the character from the battlefield, he takes no further part in the game but your opponent does not receive the Victory Points for killing him.

Terrifying Presence: Like many of the heretical followers of Chaos, Maelvorn rules through fear. On the battlefield, it is his enemies who feel the full force of his malignant ability to inspire dread, an ability which is compounded equally of his telepathic powers, his horrifying appearance and his various grisly trophies. Enemies who wish to engage Maelvorn or a unit which he has joined in close combat must first pass a Morale test, those wishing to shoot at Maelvorn or a unit which he has joined suffer a –1 To Hit penalty. Maelvorn is utterly immune to Morale failure himself and any unit he joins shares this ability (being more afraid of him than of the enemy&#33.

Spiderhost: As has been mentioned before, Maelvorn is accompanied at all times by a massive swarm of countless millions of lethally venomous spiders, which crawl all over his body and clothes. This swarm is theorised to respond to some manner of telepathic signal and is believed to have developed into a collective consciousness or hive mind, with Maelvorn as the “Hive Leader?. Due to this, the twisted vermin act in defense of their host, swarming over nearby threats and injecting them with massive amounts of venom. At the end of each Close Combat phrase, provided Maelvorn is still alive, all enemies in base-to-base contact with him suffer D6 Strength 3 hits. These hits Ignore Armour (the spiders simply crawl into the chinks) and automatically wound on a To Wound roll of 6+ (due to the venom). Also, because there is a chance that an attack will simply smash some spiders instead of cutting flesh (and because they can perform crude surgery, stitching cuts with silk and using venom as an anaesthetic) Maelvorn has a 4+ Invulnerable Save (included in his profile above).

Spider Master: When Maelvorn goes to war, his telepathic connection with arachnids goes into overdrive so he is often accompanied by millions of scuttling, skittering spiders; common Terra species as well as hideous mutants, xenos breeds and monsters altered by the twisting power of Chaos. An army led by Maelvorn can include 0-3 Spider Swarms as Troops choices as well as taking Tescan Jumping Spiders and Nightmare Weavers as Heavy Support choices.

Quote: Is that FEAR you’re feeling, Ssspace Marine? Oh yesss… it’sss fear alright… I know, I can TASSSTE it! And they shall know no fear… isssn’t that what they sssay of you? They are foolsss! There isss no form of life in the universsse that isss immune to the icy cold touch of dread… fear and death- thessse are the conssstantsss of the universsse! Yesss… let it grow… let it… CONSSSUME you! Feel it! Feel the fear!

Special Units
    Troops Choice: 0-3 Spider Swarms
    As well as the numerous spiders which crawl all over his body, massive swarms of venomous spiders often follow Maelvorn onto the battlefield. These swarm over enemies in a massive tide, biting with poisonous mandibles which leave their victims dead of toxin overdoses.
    Stats:
    Points per Base: 10
    Ws: 3
    Bs: 0
    S: 3
    T: 2
    I: 3
    A: 4
    Sv: Special

Number per Unit: 5-10 Bases

Weapons: Venomous Fangs

Rules:
    Swarm, Driven, Vulnerable to Blasts, Very Small Targets, Mutable, Wall Crawler

Details:
    Venomous Fangs: Spider Swarms wound any target on a To Wound roll of 6+, regardless of Toughness.

Swarm: Spider Swarms crawl all over their target, squeezing into chinks in armour, scuttling over their faces and generally being irritating as hell. The attacks of a Spider Swarm Ignore Armour.

Driven: Spider Swarms are directed by the telepathic signal of Maelvorn; consequently, while he is alive Spider Swarms are Fearless.

Vulnerable to Blasts: Spider Swarms take one extra wound from Template and Blast marker weapons.

Very Small Targets: Spiders are smaller than Tyranid Rippers or Necron Scarabs, consequently they receive a +2 bonus to cover saves and always have a 6+ cover save even when in the open. However, they take one extra wound from Template/Blast marker weapons (this is cumulative with the Vulnerable to Blasts rule above).

Mutable: A Spider Swarm can be upgraded to have either the Leaping or Amphibious traits (that’s ignore difficult terrain and treat water-based impassable terrain as difficult terrain respectively) and can be upgraded to have Lethal Venom (auto-wound on a 5+ instead of a 6+).

Wall Crawler: Spiders are notorious for their ability to walk up sheer surfaces. Spider Swarms treat vertically impassable terrain as open terrain.

Heavy Support Choice: Tescan Jumping Spiders
    Natives to the satellite Tesca, a jungle moon the size of Holy Terra locked in orbit around a gas giant, these monstrous arachnids possess lethal ambush skills and a formidable degree of intelligence, which has led some Imperial scholars to believe they may be an isolated strain of Tyranid, similar in nature to the Catachan Devil.
    Stats:
    Bs: 0
    S: 7
    T: 5
    W: 5
    A: 4
    Sv: 4+

Number per Unit: you may include 1-3 Tescan Jumping Spiders as a single Heavy Support choice. They are deployed as a single unit but do not need to be placed together and operate independently during the game.

Weapons: Venomous Fangs, Spinnerets

Special Rules: Monstrous Creature, Infiltrate, Bounding Leaps, Wall Crawler, Jungle Dweller

Details:
    Venomous Fangs: Tescan Jumping Spiders wound any target on a To Wound roll of 6+, regardless of Toughness.

Spinnerets: Tescan Jumping Spiders possess specially modified spinnerets to spray a mixture of spider silk and paralytic venom at their prey. They may fire their spinnerets during the shooting phrase. Place the flamer template with the tip of the narrow end touching the Jumping Spider’s base. All directly under the template are hit automatically, those partially covered are hit on a 4+. The “attack? is Strength 4 and causes a Pinning test if one or more casualties are inflicted. Because the casualties have simply been immobilised in a cacoon of spider silk, casualties inflicted by the attack don’t carry on to the next battle in campaign games- unless Maelvorn’s force wins, in which case assume the captives have been dragged off to be devoured or tortured to death.

Bounding Leaps: Tescan Jumping Spiders are capable of moving at blinding speed, aided by their tremendous leaping power. Jumping Spiders move 12? during the Movement Phase and can make an Assault move of 12?. They also ignore the effects of Difficult Terrain and add +4 to their Fallback/Pursuit move.

Wall Crawler: Spiders are notorious for their ability to walk up sheer surfaces. Tescan Jumping Spiders treat vertically impassable terrain as open terrain.

Jungle Dweller: Tescan Jumping Spiders are natives to the jungle moon of Tesca and so receive the following benefits: Can see 12? through forest or jungle terrain, receive a 4+ cover save in forest or jungle terrain, move at full speed in forest or jungle terrain, If allowed to infiltrate they must deploy in forest or jungle terrain if it is available.

Heavy Support Choice: Nightmare Weaver
    These creatures resemble no species of spider every discovered by the Imperium, but their hallucinogenic venom leads scholars to believe they may have been mutated by exposure to Chaos. On the battlefield they act as heavy support, using their venom and psychic powers to disorientate and dismay the enemy.
    Stats:
    Bs: 4
    W: 3
    I: 3
    A: 2
    Sv: 4+

Number per Unit: 1

Weapons Venomous Fangs, Poison Spit

Special Rules: Waking Nightmares, Wall Crawler

Details:
    Venomous Fangs: Nightmare Weavers wound any target on a To Wound roll of 6+, regardless of Toughness.

Poison Spit: used during the Shooting Phase, has Range 18?, Str 5, Ap 4.

Waking Nightmares: Nightmare Weavers possess an innate psychic power, which they can use during the Assault Phase. Because of their peculiar nature, this power does not require a Psychic Powers Test to use and so is not affected by things like the Crucible of Malediction or The Hammer of Witches. Their power- when used- affects all enemy units which are capable of drawing LoS to the Nightmare Weaver, all such units must make an immediate Pinning test. Allied units who fulfil the same condition must roll a D6; on a 6 that unit is also affected. This power has no effect on units which are immune to Morale/Pinning tests.

Wall Crawler: Spiders are notorious for their ability to walk up sheer surfaces. Nightmare Weavers treat vertically impassable terrain as open terrain.

Let me know what you think, I actually considered altering the Spiderhost rule so that when Maelvorn is killed, you replace the model with a full-strength (10-base) Spider Swarm. :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this much better, he's cheap enough to be usable - yet he is still powerful enough to bring fear to the hearts of his enemies the spiders are cool the only suggestion I want to make there is the jumping spider should have about 3 wound, at the risk of it being too hard to kill (otherwise your opponent will probably whinge about it :lol: )

A good thing to do would be to try Haunter and his creatures of the night a try in a real battle to see if they work well. Then after you've tried them out, if there is any changes you want to make to them, make them! Just make sure the rules are still fair for your opponent as well. If you have any ideas or updates to your new units please tell me about them! I'm quite interested in this Night Haunter!
    If you ever manage to make a model of him i'd love to see that too.

It still seems strange to me that nobody else has said anything though... :wacko:
    Books of the Imperium;
    Codex Necromancers:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast