Thousand Sons Vs. Ig - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having a game in a few months.

Its a 2 on 2 game, with my 1000 pt Thousand Sons and a friends 1000 pt marines going up against a 1000 pt Imperial guard armoured company and then either a 1000 pt daemonhunter army, 1000 pt tau, 1000 pt dark angel or 1000 pt spac wolf army.

No seeing as I don't know who my second enemy will be, I was wondering if you had any advice on defeating the guard, because I can just imagine how much that ordinance is going to hurt (The only thing I know about his army is that he has a lot of ordinance). Seeing I move slowly, what type of tactics am I going to have to use to get the win on this one?

I have 2 squads of thousand sons at my disposable, my lord and a defiler. Sorry, i can't afford to add anything new to my army yet, so I just need tactical help really.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

armored company is probably the worst army thousand sons can face. They got mega-ordnance, and it is all of the str9 ap3 variety. Minimum range on the guess shooting is 36". So if they are hiding, just close in as quick as possible. Also, rhinos would be nice to get in quickly.

If you walk across the battlefield, you won't have anything left when you get to the other end. Since rubrics run 24pts a model , move extremely slow, and that ordnance can knock them out like they were 7 pt spinegaunts.

Also, keep your squads spaced out 2", to minimize the effects of ordnance. Accept that this army takes advantage of all of your weaknesses, so don't feel bad if you lose. It would be like a tau player losing to 'nids, happens all the time.

Also, give your defiler, indirect fire. Try to knock out his ordnance if you can.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

hotspike18

As far as the grey knights go, you'll have to rely less on long distance firepower. With the Shrouding rule your maximum range is only going to be 54 inches I believe. Because Grey Knights are fearless, and your models have two wounds, this is an advantage. They will in fact flee if you win the combat and you have half or more as many people as they do. This is some weird rule from the website I think. Ask the Grey Knight guy about it, if he doesn't know, print it out or don't worry about it. Thousand Sons can sometimes stand toe-to-toe with Grey Knights and live, because of the two wound mess, you can keep throwing out attacks and he just has to keep on killing. Watch out for assassins, especially the Vindicare. He can pick out your squad leaders and icon bearers. Which means you lose things like magic powers very quickly.
    Against any kind of power armor heavy army, bring a defiler, it will work great, make sure no one gets to it. It will help for the entire game. You'll most likely want indirect fire as well. It won't hurt against the Tau either. With the Tau, you can use it to take down the battlesuits that run away from your troops using fire and flee tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my 1,000 sons, I wiped out an opponent with Grey Knights just because he had fewer guys in his squads and I had 2 wounds...so I move 6" and shoot 24" and then he moves forward and shoots, then I move back and shoot etc etc. Every armor save he failed he lost 1/6 of his unit, every armor save I failed I lost 1 wound of 1/9th of my unit. Also, I use bolt of change with every AC in my unit, which gives me the firepower I would lack otherwise. The main problem is the stupid aegis which if he rolls higher than you on a d6 basically your powers are negated.

I've never gone against armored company, I've only heard complaints about how much it sucks to play against (*ahem* Necrons) so I can't give you any advice there. I would say stock up on Bolt of Change, bring a lord or lt with that ability as well. Have them on a disc and fly around zapping his tanks. If you can keep him behind your units he can't even shoot at you, but otherwise be wary of random strength 8+ shots at him.

It's a tough draw, but in 1,000 points, considering that his vehicles cost anywhere from 100-200 points a piece, all you've got to do to neutralize him is pop a few and you've already gained the points back for your units. AV 14 almost cries out for a TL Lascannon dreadnough though, either that or a predator annihlator.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

+ Reply to Thread