Librarium Online Forums banner

Oww, It Burns!!

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  danjones87 
#1 ·
hello. yesterday i played a 40K game with my Black Legion army for the first time in ages, against a tau and Kroot army. the tau just killed all but one basic marine squads. its insane. S5 Ap4 basic guns. then they have those nasty jump plasma gunny Battle suits. :eek:

in the end it was a draw possibly a victory to the forces of chaos but that was only becasue squad uber (Marines withh 2CCW and a lightening clawed champ with rerolls and my lord with a dark blade) found the squishy bits in the army (they killed all 20 kroot a master shaperthree gnarlocs and then one battle suit 12 Tau and a ethreal) the squad consolidated through the army. :)

does anyone else play against the tau and how do you beat them??
What are your faveortie squads to use against them, and what do you adivse not to use?
what would you give your lord?

#2 ·
That's the thing with Tau, IG, Eldar and Necrons. They outshoot us, so standing and shooting them is going to be a way to lose. Play to their weakness and get into CC with them. In games with them in the future be sure to use more CC squads. Only use shooting squads as support squads, mostly for anti-tank, that do not make up the bulk of your army.

#3 ·
yeah, tau outshoot most things,lol. raptors(if u got some) are good coz they r cc and fast. also rhino's(again,if u have them) are wikid. ummm oh, and using d. flight with your lord and maybe d. essence so u live abit longer while flying down the line. :) as soon as you get into cc you basically rape him silly. good luck killing all his tau in your next game. :)

#5 ·
Take some Bezerkers (as elites) and a Bloodthirster. Watch the puny yellow armoured freaks cower in a corner.

#6 ·
Remember to max out your squad sizes, that way it will take your opponent longer to gun you down.

In space marine armies, I sometimes get the feeling that your tanks and your other fancy stuff is rather pointless, opposed to what you guys can do with just marines, marines and more marines. A dev squad with 4x heavy bolters, a tank hunting dev squad with 4x missile launchers, and 2 or 3 tac squads with bolters all maxed out, and perhaps a whirlie to back them up is one of the scariest thing I can think of. Just an oppinion from acruss the table.

#7 ·
ah i like the D.flight idea.

my army at mo is as follows

Lord with +1T +1W plasma pistol Dark blade (and some other bits i cant member!)

3 oblitorators
7 Plauge marines infiltrate
Leader with power sword and nurgles rot

8 marines one with heavy bolter champ
8 marines champ
8 marines CCWs Champ with MC Lighteneing claws in rhino with Lord

Raptors
leader with d talons
4 marines one with meltagun one with plasma pistol infiltarte

Drednaught (Atrobillious the deceased!) lascanons and CCW Deamonic hull possesion paresetic! unkillable.

my raptors got killed as they were in a s~~~ possition. oblitorators should have been in a diff position across the board. Atrobillious the deceased killed crisis suits at his leisure.

i would like some of the new termies but they would be opened like tins.

#9 ·
Well against Kroot I send a Lieutenant with speed, strength, MoN and a Manreaper. The rest I try to kill with meltaguns, plasmaguns and lascannons. Get into CC with all those warriors and you will kill them in mass.

If the guy moves with all his skimmers then you just need to hit them until you kill them. Lucky shots help a lot and predator tanks too :) Got to love those.

#11 ·
Centum said:
HA! tell that to my dread that took 4 lascannons to the face... it happens every game... gotta hate those SMs Devistators :p
Try making him crap then. If he costs the minimal amount of points possible, then you've tied up that 140 points of lascannon (without the guys holding them and their squadmates) which could be shooting your rhinos instead. If you expect him to die, make him the whipping boy and walk him into the open away from your army. He won't have those lascannons in different dev squads, so they can only take down one vehicle/distraction per turn. Then you can spend some more points on rhinos or something to 'rape him silly' as abaddon19 so nicely put it.

#12 ·
Yeah, I only have my Dread, Defiler, and a Rhino. I dont have enough vehicles to take down someone with that many long range weapons. But oh well, maybe if i played a lower point game i would be able to deal with it, i will try some new things next time.

#14 ·
Ive been basing my army and touching up over the weekend. got 2 more oblitorators painted, pick one up his arm dropped off! my lord has the spiky bit off the tank sprue with th tau head on, picked him up, it fell off! ive painted my squads with different colour squolder pads, this is so i can tell which marine is in which squad.

i have to run the WH club at my school on thurs nights, usually just tell them the rules and how to improve there armies, this wk ive been challenged to a game. im fighting marines 1.5K, he usually takes termies razor back pred with 4 lascannons dred with lascannons and two squads of marines a assualt squad and a lord. i believe the oblitorators will do well against them, deep strike with the raptors ill jump on the termies and the raptors will melt the pred. i ll just marck the rest o my army up the weaker flank. anby other ideas

#15 ·
Well, for one thing try and get him into the pompous SM player attitude, this'll lead him to just walk up the board while you shoot him.

Oh and talk about burning things I just spilled boiling water over my hand...f*cking pot noodle

#17 ·
Have you thought about going Alpha legion and just infiltrating as many squads as you can close to his positions? Vehicles are no good against Tau although maybe a defiler if you can hide it out of sight and only use indirect fire. Raptors are always good. Summoning your demon lord close to his position or ideally after a unit is in hand to hand might be entertaining. Summoning bloodletters against his army would also work well. Possessed with demonic talons would be unpleasant for him as well. If you infiltrate well he will only get one turn of shooting before you rip him into chunks. Also if you go Alpha Legion you can bring your troops up behind a human shield of chaos cultists that can infiltrate as well. Raptors with Meltas might annoy his battle suits as well. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

#20 ·
Indirect fire is useless. defiler is 36-72 indirect and on a board 48 then it can only get that small section at the back. if the tau move forward its not worth having it. i also found that the cover save rule is arwful. you can only take one save. imagine a marine is stood inside a bunker, it gets shot with a bolter, the bolt has to go through the wall and through his power armour before it gets to his squishy bits.

has anyone got any ideas for my next addition to the grand host of Kargore?? i was thinking of chosen and a sorc but i may need more marines, or daemons. im playing the poncey marine boys later. my armys at my grans. cant wait to see his face when my oblitorators jump on his termies and 'Rape them silly'. haha. im going to shield my raptors with the rhino so they get to do somthing this game (theyve died to unfortunate plasma fire in the first/second turns each game ive played).

Thanks for the advice DJ87

#21 ·
A sorcerer would be nice but it isnt an amazing idea to take 2 HQ's in under 2000 points. They start to eat up your points as you remember that one more upgrade he can have, and still they remain one model that can easily fall prey to a hidden PF. Chosen are pretty good, but they can get pretty expensive if too many are ACs. It could be a nice idea if they were balanced. Try it out.

Watch for Terminators, even Oblitorators would have a hard time raping them. Lascannons are single shot, so they don't get too many shots that are effective rape tools before the power fists arrive.

As for the cover save rule, it is a bit odd but it represents the chance that the shot doesn't actuall hit the marine/ork/wuss-thing, and instead takes a deflectuion from his surroundings. If it's worse than your armour then you take that anyway. It makes more sense that invulnerable saves, at least. "Look at me, I'm an Uber-chaplain, and you are just some dumbass tau, so to make it more fair I'll turn off my rosarius for you." Fantasy Ward Saves are taken as well as armour saves, which makes a lot more sense. But that was one of the issues they wanted to adress, take the focus away from rediculously hard characters in 40k, while maintaning the feel of old battles where leadership was based on how well you could kill things for WHFantasy.

#23 ·
monsieurcartier i play fantasy to. its is very good, i play as empire and my chums collect orcs and brets. ward saves work v.well. as you said there is a difference between the games, 40K is based around squads and ambushes. WFB is based on uber characters and tactical manoures of troops. my group of friends have agreed a house rule will be passed to sort out the cover saves.

the game i played last night went well. it was at the club i co-run at school, i was challenged by a marine player. i asked for 1500p but he could only muster 1250ish. i dropped my raptors, i realy wanted to use them aswell.
well my rhino got shot leaving my lord to walk the final 12" under fire. my oblitorators did nothing less than anhiliate the poor terminators, i caused 10 wounds, twin linked plasma guns at 12" but for there Immense show of power they were promptly shot with 6 lascannons (pred and dred) my lord and his retinue of marines and the asp champ with lightening claws found some fleshy things, the chaos marines didnt get alook in as my lord killed 5 and my asp killed 3, all died in a hail of power weapon blows! my plauge marines beat up the assualt marines. and my dread got into a blood rage and destroyed the land speeder 5 times! then went into kill the entire bike squad. it was a good game i won by 350 points just about a solid victory.

i would like to extend my army to 2000p. if i could id include more oblitorators but i cannot. ive been thinking of a havoc squad with plasma guns and leader with PW and PP, any thoughts? a Sorc in a possesed squad would be nice fluff wise. ive been thinking of more nurgle. most of what i want is elites. i may change my heavy bolter for a plasma gun, more mobility. i will need a extra squad of marines, possibly close comabt again.. myraptors are incredibly expensive, they are 235p! i may drop the melta gun and have another CC raptor.

Thnks DJ87 :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.