Librarium Online Forums banner

Tzeetch!

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Centum 
#1 ·
ok, ive been playing undivided for a long time now and have a fairly large amount of it.

I want to start a Tzeetch army on the side, what are some good tactics and things to keep in mind when playing thousand sons? (most common enemies, nids, marines, and tau)

#3 ·
It depends what you have, and how many points your playing... more info?

I'm not one of the most experienced players, but I play tzeentch and have been trying to do alot of things.

-Centum

#4 ·
From what I know your basically using bolters. you move like difficult terrain, and everyone has 2 wounds. From my experiences playing against Thousand sons the Rubric Terminators are incredible... they take forever to kill and the 2 wounds gives them amazing staying power. Thousand sons are also incredible as regular marines. with the new edition they no longer strike last (to my understanding) aspiring champions can be upgraded to sorcerors. I'm not a huge fan's of their daemons however i am a big fan of the Lord of Change. Get used to taking difficult terrain tests all the time... however firing a 24 inch bolter on the move with the slow and purposeful thing kinda grows on you.

#5 ·
I thought termies dont get rebric sign - chosen, posessed, and indepandant characters get somethnig different than the rubric sign

#8 ·
a couple more questions regarding tzeetch...

What could u use as models for thrall wizards

Is the Lord of change worth it?

#9 ·
I have a few thrall wizards... you want em? :p

The Chaos Sorcerors are Thrall Wizards.

As for your LoC question, It all depends, how you use him and whether you have something better to feild.
He is fast and has a lot of wounds, hes a monsterous creature and good initiative and attacks... however all greater daemons are unstable, which is a witch with a capitol B lol.

So it all depends. If you get him into CC, hes amazing, if you dont ... hes OK.

-Centum

#10 ·
Anything can be a thrall wizard.. Chaos marauders daubed with strange symbols and wards.. warhammer fantasy chaos sorcerors.. Heck, provided you made it clear to your opponent, you could model flying hippos as thrall wizards.

Personally.. I'd pick a model which looks suitably mewling and weedy.

#11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, Im gonna post a tzeentch list in the army list section- tell me watcha think.

#12 ·
Thousand Sons' greatest advantage, as far as I can tell, is their Aspiring Champions. Protected behind 18 wounds worth of marines, theres just no getting to them. I recently had a Khornate prince assault my main 9-man unit. It had S7 on the charge, so it couldn't gloop my extra wounds. A total of two marines went down, and then my Champ nailed it with a powerfist. Not much in the way of losses for killing a Prince. They could get nailed though if you're facing a Farseer with Mind War, a Vindicare Assassin or any similar effects.
Since your current army is Undivided, I'd add in a Rubric squad in one of your Elites slots to try them out. Put them up front as a damage magnet, and zapp any big targets that come close. BoC with Thralls is good for popping light tanks and Dreadnoughts.

#14 ·
Pretty much with tzeentch i can give you only a a little advice, but its imposrtant advice.
You NEED heavy support and close combat units. Thousand Sons are great for soaking up fire, and good at killing infantry, but still die easily when put in cc with lots of enemies (orks or tyranids) or any extremely tough, good save troops, like terminators. For example, in my army im going to have 2 dreadnoughts (hvy support) a maxed out lord thats like 160 points but is super tough, and a maxed out lord, possibly with a retinue of chosen terminators. You have to remember not to waste points though, since thousand sons are 24 points each, a squad of 9 is 216 points, times 2 is 432, 432 points for 18 standard guys! thats a lot. Also, you should take out any ordance weapons the enemy has, they are very dangerous to you!

#15 ·
MouseC112 said:
... Thousand sons are also incredible as regular marines. with the new edition they no longer strike last (to my understanding) aspiring champions can be upgraded to sorcerors.
I tyhink it says they are alrdy sorcerors. No point cost to upgrade them to sorcerors

#16 ·
Your regular marines can only use bolters, but they always fire as if they are standing still, which means they can lay out quite a fusilade of lead. The Terminators are what you want, they're like walking pieces of metal with two wounds, 2+ armor save, and 5+ invulnerable. The only thing is, these guys tend to be pretty expensive points wise. Since you can't use Havocs I suggest Dreadnaughts and Predators to pick up the Heavy Support slack. Your aspiring champs can be sorcerors (yay!) and can lay out the hurt with their Bolt of Change, or just Doombolt (good ol' Doombolt, always there, like a friend after you've had too much to drink). Anyways, GW has done a bang up job of keeping these guys interesting and fun to play, while balancing them out more. Cheers.

#17 ·
I think Tzeentch is the hardest Chaos army to play, so many points for not a lot of choices. However, Horrors are the best, I love em. Same with the Thousand sons. If you have room, always take the TS over the Horrors tho, unless you are up against Daemon Hunters... then you max out your daemons :D

Possessed are a good way of keeping the CC off of you, or so I've heard, I havnt really tested it. The horrors just kinda die when in close combat, so just use them against things with terminator armor :p Your bound to get at least 1 or 2 1's with all the hits you got on em :p

I think I'm going to switch up my list a little bit, and add some Possesed in Rhinos and take out some horrors (I'm gonna be playing Nid alot this summer lol)

Check the Tzeentch Tactica in the sticky at the top of this forum. It will help you A LOT.

-Centum

PS: Rubic Terminators have yet to show that they are good. I'll keep you posted on that though.

#18 ·
Tzeetch marines can only have bolter? they cant take special weapons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.