Possessed Strategies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possessed Strategies

Hey All,

tried out my first 7 person squad possessed today with my chaos lord in a 1500 pt battle. I put the Lord and the possessed in a rhino. The problem is, the rhino got blown up, so they were on foot (I was lucky enough to only lose 1 from the double 4+ rolls, whew!). The problem is, I had two assault squads coming at me, and all I had were the possessed and a CC chaos squad. The assault squad had a chaplain, so all the fun reroll wounds and stuff will really hurt...

The question I have is this, since possessed (and non jet pack assault squads in general) can only move 6 and assault 6, what is the best way to use them when that's the only CC support you have, and there are two assault squads of 10 charging at you full speed? You'll never be able to get the charge if your opponent is halfway intelligent, since they can move 12 and assault 6... In that case, the possessed will be slaughtered before they can fight back (the opponent has furious charge)...

So how do I get them in a position to charge the enemy's assault-y units?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. Oops, forgot to mention, the possessed have D. Talons.

As for the scenario, I had a squad of 10 CC CSM, Lord+7 Possessed with Talon, Pred with all Las, 2 Oblits, Havocs with 2 Missile L. and Autocannon, 2 x 15 cultists, and 8 Daemonettes.

Last edited by Lord Visharron; June 4th, 2005 at 18:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just use more lol, simple solution I would think. :p

Or use them as a Counter assault, send your regular marines ahead and when they get in trouble, BAM!, slap him up.

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

what i take in my chaos army is a infiltrating raptor squad, i charge on the first turn!
    you could take to rhinos.
    your rhinos should have extra armour and smoke launchers. dont die as easily to the lascannon onslaught and extra armour is invailuble if you want to get somewhere.

i play tau and each game my rhino is like a big magnet for all those twin linked railguns. it always dies second turn but thats usually good enough to get into combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Well I use my possessed in a rhino too, because it's the safest and fastest way to deliver them in the ennemy deployement zone where they will shine the most, either by killing any kind of assault troops or the soft targets that hide in the back. Personnaly I don't put my Lord or my Lieutenant with them because they have different jobs and the Possessed are already really good by themselves.

If you send that rhino alone with no cover in the open be prepared to see it destroyed a lot. He will get shot by anything that can pierce it's armour (and there's many weapon that can do that) only because it's the only valuable target in sight. The trick with that rhino is that you must accompany it and support it until it can deliver your Possessed.

I personnaly put a predator in front of my rhino and make both of them speed up on a flank. The predator being more of an immediate threat for your opponent he will most likely shoot it before he will shoot your rhino. Yes your predator might blow up on first turn but he's a fire magnet anyway and if he want to shoot anything he must also see it. Use his body to block the LOS from your rhino.

The second tactic I use in conjonction with the first one is an infiltrating Squad of 7 Plagues Marines with 2 meltaguns, an AC with a power fist accompanied by a Lieutenant with a Manreaper, D. Strenght and D. speed. If I can find some cover they are 12" away from a target. The meltaguns are tank busters by excellence and the Lieutenant is a beast with his Ini5 and his 3+D6 attacks at S5 with no armour save allowed. That is a threat that my opponent can't overlook and he will redirect some fire or some of his attention to destroy that squad. Suddenly my rhino is not much of a concern and on turn 3 my possessed can get into close combat and do what they do best...

Also I found that if I make a Dreadnought walk alonside the predator (more in the center of the field) and that if I put some of my close combat squads walking along with it I suddenly have a strong hold on a quarter of the table and my little rhino with only 7 guys in it become less of a threat.

Another tactic I used a couple of time with some success and that seem to work against certain type of armies is a spear formation in the center of my deployement zone. I put a predator in the middle of the field and 2 rhino on each of its side. The first rhino have a 7 men Havoc squad with 4 plasma guns and the second my squad of possessed. I make that little formation speed up in the center and when I unload my Havoc and my Possessed (if none of my rhinos was destroyed) I suddenly have a fire base (4 rapid firing plasma guns) and a fearful close combat squad right in the middle of my opponent forces. Generally the predator don't get there and one of my rhino get blown up leaving a squad on foot but most of my other foot sloggers are ignored for a turn or two by the ennemy heavy fire and that's all I ask from this formation.

Anyway that's my 2 cents on possessed tactics and so for it worked rather well for me.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Thyr; June 5th, 2005 at 21:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about doing something similar to the spear tactic you stated Thyr, accept I was going to put my TS behind it and summon all of my Horrors. And be using 3 Rhinos instead of 2 with a Preditor.

I would be playing against 'nid so they would have to run around my 3 Rhinos which would have Causicating flame (In case they wanted to try their hand at killing them.)

and I would use the Horrors to wall off the back of my "mobil fire base."

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Rhino and Predator idea. Also, since I play Alpha Legion, I'll have other troops infiltrating from everywhere all at once anyways, so they'll have to either split their fire, or fire at the rhino and let all the other CC troops/daemons reach them on turn 2.

So their choices:

let 3-4 squads of CC reach them by turn 2 from all directions, or let a rhino full of possessed reach them by turn 2-3... hee hee... either way, bad for them...

I will put my HQ with the CC CSM squad then... leave the possessed to themselves =)

+ Reply to Thread