Dreadnaught Shooting??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnaught Shooting???

I was just reading the Iron Warriors Tactica and became mildly confused. I play Dark Angels right now and was thinking of moving to the proper side of the conflict between good and evil (*cheer Chaos*)

Back on topic.

The Iron Warriors Tactica states that the dreadnaught equipped with 1x missile launcher and 1x plasma cannon fires 4 templates.... if it fire frenzys then he gets 2 plasma bolts (this i understand), four frag missiles and 2 krak missiles... Unless the Chaos Missile launcher is horribly different from the SM missile launcher, it either shoots, with the high strength @ heavy 1 or the template, heavy 1. So how is he getting 3 or 6 (double for fire frenzy) shots out of this thing?

ForgottenKnight2001

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

The tactica is correct. If gripped with fire frenzy it will shoot 4 templates. It shoots TWICE with each weapon. So twice with the plasma cannon and twice with the missle launcher (frag). You could shoot 2 krak missles instead of frag missles but then your only firing 2 templates from the plasma cannon. You cannot fire krak and frag missles simultaneously. Niether the sm or csm launchers can do that.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure i just mis-read the tactica then. Seems strange though.

From the tactica i read

Obviously, it's at its best when stationary, so you get the benefit of 4 shots.
    * as a stationary dread it shoots 4 times.... *

If it doesn't move I can happily throw four blast templates at the enemy, which is always fun. I specifically made it for the purpose of having 4 blast templates that fire simultaneously, thus maximising the efficiency of each weapon
    * as a stationary dread it shoots 4 times (4 blast templates) *

Overall I love this dread, especially when it goes Fire Frenzy. Two plasma bolts, four frag missiles, and two krak missiles (or an additional two frag missiles) seriously mess up infantry.
    * as a fire frenzy dread it shoots 2 plasma, 4 frag and 2 krak... OR 2x plasma 2x krak & 2xkrak *

Hmm, that raises an interesting question. If it fire frenzies. do both shots from the missile launcher have to be the same type?

ForgottenKnight2001

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

When can you Fire frenzy and whats the downside?
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenKnight2001
    Hmm, that raises an interesting question. If it fire frenzies. do both shots from the missile launcher have to be the same type?

ForgottenKnight2001
    What I wrote is how it goes. All the rules specify is that you must fire twice. If you want to shoot 2 missles of different types when griped in fire frenzy then go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by closet_anarchist
    When can you Fire frenzy and whats the downside?
    Read pg. 35 in your chaos codex. Right there under Dreadnought special rules. Your a chaos player and did not know this? If your fielding a unit/vehicle you need to at least know how it works. The downside is if the dread. cannot see any enemies it will shoot twice at the nearest visible friendly unit.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing i can come up with is that bornindarkness forgot to list that the Dread has a Havoc Launcher. That would mean it can fire two extra shots when it remains stationry. In which case thats 2 Plasma templates, 2 Frags/Kraks and 2 Havocs (though its 4 shots) on a Fire Frenzy.

By the way, why would you ever even want to fire two different missles at the same target?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Nope I'm Imperium, Greater Good, or uber psyker all the way. Non of this mutation, mutalation, blood drinking nonsense. However, it is helpful to know that when fighting Chaos, I thank you.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it can in theory shoot :

2 plasma cannons
    2 Frag missiles
    4xhavok missiles (Er, attack 2x with it)

Thusly, assuming I am in fire frenzy and stationary I can fire the havok system twice? Thusly 8 templates being dropped on the unfrotunate unit infront of me?

Member Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you only have 1/6 of the time of it happening. Not something to depend on.
    Servo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st of the Thousand Sons
    The only thing i can come up with is that bornindarkness forgot to list that the Dread has a Havoc Launcher. That would mean it can fire two extra shots when it remains stationry.
    Ah. that would make much more sense. And ow... that would hurt to be on the receiving end of.

By the way, why would you ever even want to fire two different missles at the same target?
    Only case i could think of is 2 templates that kill an entire squad first then fire 2 single shots to kill the character was hiding inside. Or if you fail to kill marines with the templates, just go for the 2 armor piercing shots instead of trying templates again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast