Modelling advice for a Venerable Dread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Modelling advice for a Venerable Dread

I just want to warn you guys ahead of time that I am a loyal Raven Guard player. The title is correct in saying I need help from you Chaos Lords/Sorcerors/Daemon Princes on a matter concerning a Venrable Dreadnought. So, on to the question.

I plan on putting Chaos vehicle bits on my Venerable Dread as trophies to represent the Tank Hunter skill, enough for them to also represent extra armor. I want to make it look fluffy as well, as I have a specific background in mind for the old man. I'd just like to know which vehicles you would consider to best fit the following Legions:
    • Iron Warriors
    • Death Guard
    • World Eaters
    • Emperor's Children

If you could tell which vehicles you think would be fluffiest and exactly why they should be so, that would be much appreciated. If you think a certain vehicle fits multiple Legions, feel free to list it under both. Hell, you could even come up with a list for each if you're feeling ambitious.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype

signature pending

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Ok... So you want to put pieces of tanks on your dread? Ok 1st im not sure how that would work. Also I don't think sm's would put pieces of traitor machinerary (or traitor anything) on their vehicles. The only trophies I could see as plausible would be heads or something from the marines themselves. Cause you can't really put on spikes or other chaos bits cause that wouldn't look good on a loyalist dread. maybe if you sawed off some turrets from tanks. i'm not sure. This is kind of a strange question.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x2)

They'd just be trophies. It's to represent his hatred for the aforementioned Traitor Legions, a sort of warning to other vehicle pilots to reconsider crossing his line of fire. I'm not looking for spikes or other vehicle upgrades unique to Chaos, just stuff like the door of a Rhino, the gun barrel from a Defiler, a chunk of hull of a Dreadnought, etc. I still have to leave room to show my Chapter Badge, but that leaves plenty of room for trophies.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

That's fine. But usually loyalist legions burn all chaos symbols devices. Even a piece of metal that has been touched by chaos has the potential to corrupt. I think you should do kill marks or have the dread stepping on a traitor marine. Having anything chaos on a dread even as trophies doesn't really work. I mean they would have to burn off any chaos symbols and what not. But then whats the point of having a scorched tank door on the dread? You don't want guardsmen throwing up left and right and bleeding from their eyes becuase your vulnerable dread has a rhino door with blasphemous symbols on it.
    -Charles Manson

Super Villians
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by numberofthebeastxxx
    That's fine. But usually loyalist legions burn all chaos symbols devices. Even a piece of metal that has been touched by chaos has the potential to corrupt. I think you should do kill marks or have the dread stepping on a traitor marine. Having anything chaos on a dread even as trophies doesn't really work. I mean they would have to burn off any chaos symbols and what not. But then whats the point of having a scorched tank door on the dread? You don't want guardsmen throwing up left and right and bleeding from their eyes becuase your vulnerable dread has a rhino door with blasphemous symbols on it.

You seem to really know what your talking about. Damn, you weren't nomnated for the Fluff Know-It-All for nothing! I'll concede the point to you here and just ask what would be appropriate for kill marks on the old man.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Usually because of their super-loyalty the space marines destroy all chaos parts, destroy the people that saw the parts, destroy the people that destroyed the parts, destroy the people that destroyed the people that saw the parts, and destroy the people that destroyed the people that destroyed the parts. Because of the fact that anything that is tainted by chaos stays that way its like wearing a symbol of chaos. How many space marine commanders wear the mark of chaos? It's like an american WW2 tank bearing the Swastika. (hope I don't get banned for that.) It's best you just use bits of aliens or something like that. Like tyranid carapace or part of a braodside, etc. This including the fact that it might be hard to tell which tank the trophies are from unless you put a huge clump on your dread. Best to give it loads of purtiy seals or a large emblem of holiness or a banner with a sacred prayer and saying that he got it to ward of chaos space marines on Kintheris 6 or something like that.
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype
    You seem to really know what your talking about. Damn, you weren't nomnated for the Fluff Know-It-All for nothing! I'll concede the point to you here and just ask what would be appropriate for kill marks on the old man.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    Always glad to know my advice is appreciated. Either I get a congrats and a good rep. or someone flagrantly disagrees (normally from ignorance) which gets me a little hot tempered and I end up getting a bad rep. So I get a little of both worlds. lol ^_^

Anyway, Kill marks are good. For example the original chapter master of the Sould Drinkers had hundreds of studs on his powerfist. One for each kill of note. You could do marks on the dreads banner or something similar on his fist. I converted my chaos dread to be stepping on a guardsmen. I modeled it so the guardsmen is writhing in pain under the huge foot. :cool:
    -Charles Manson

Super Villians
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x2)

Always glad to know my advice is appreciated. Either I get a congrats and a good rep. or someone flagrantly disagrees (normally from ignorance) which gets me a little hot tempered and I end up getting a bad rep.
    Well, you're speaking with someone who can tell when he's been proven wrong. Besides, I don't like seeing a conflict anywhere except on a tabletop.

Anyway, Kill marks are good. For example the original chapter master of the Sould Drinkers had hundreds of studs on his powerfist. One for each kill of note. You could do marks on the dreads banner or something similar on his fist. I converted my chaos dread to be stepping on a guardsmen. I modeled it so the guardsmen is writhing in pain under the huge foot. :cool:
    I think I'll do it in the form of a banner, just because I know I have some useless banner lying around from a Command Squad sprue that I just used for it's shoulder pads and weapons. Besides, it'll give me ample room to put any number of kill marks on banner. By the way, he's not going to have a Dreadnought close combat weapon. I'll be giving him a missile launcher arm. I like the stepping-on-the-unfortunate-crewman idea, so I'll find a suitable Chaos Marine for that. Thanks for all the help, dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    It's best you just use bits of aliens or something like that. Like tyranid carapace or part of a braodside, etc. This including the fact that it might be hard to tell which tank the trophies are from unless you put a huge clump on your dread. Best to give it loads of purtiy seals or a large emblem of holiness or a banner with a sacred prayer and saying that he got it to ward of chaos space marines on Kintheris 6 or something like that.
    This Venerable Dreadnought is going to tie deeply into my army's background, and his background in particular stretches all the way back to the Istvaan V Massacre. It had to be Chaos trophies. As it stands now, it'll be Chaos kill marks. This old man will actually be my army's Chaos Hunter (I already have a strategist, a warrior, and a psyker).

I thank both of you for your help. It's been a great first thread in the Chaos forum. :cool:

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Why not have the dreddie stepping on a chaos marine or disemboweling one? Kill marks are good, but you want a venerable to really stand out and shine. I'd say make him have the power claw with a defiler arm in it or something like he just ripped apart something.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

+ Reply to Thread