Switching to the Chaos Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching to the Chaos Marines

Hey everyone. I'm a big fan of Warhammer 40k and play quite often with my cousins and friend. Up until now I have been playing Tyranids but I don't really like their swarm tactics. As you can see in the title, I have been of switching to Chaos Space Marines, as not only are they my favourite looking race, but I think I'm more suited to their combat style.

I was reading around these forums and I read about a Slaneshi marines. They seem to be exactly what I'm looking to play. What is a good army build (sorted by priority if possible) that I could use. I need to know what I should buy first, what HQ I should by, and what should come after.

Also, I was thinking of starting off by buying the Chaos Space Marines Megaforce, the codex (of course), and an HQ. Would this be a good idea for the build I want? Thanks in advance for any help!

-James

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I'm shooting mainly for a 1000-1500 point army. (We play 2 vs 2, 2000-3000 points.) If my choice in Slaneshi isn't suited for that, can you make some other reccemendations? Also, since I don't have the codex, can someone tell me how many points it is to deploy the megaforce with no upgrades? Thanks.

Last edited by IamJames; July 17th, 2005 at 14:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

-first off, don't buy the mega force. if you want a nice looking army, buy emperor's children boxes. plus those big boxes, you don't save much money anyways.

-also look through the army list section, there is a very nice list made by Hyperion703.

-IMO emperor's children are one of the only armies that specialize in combat and in shooting.
    fair trade off for all them pastels and pinks. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

I agree. The mega force is not for Slaanesh. I recommend browsing through ebay. Get as much sonic weaponry as you can. :cool:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont forget green stuff! Just buy green stuff, and Chaos space marines, instead of Noise marines, it would be alot cheaper, that is... if you can find a good deal on the sonic weaponry on ebay :p

There are so many options with Chaos for customizing. Especially with Slaanesh, you could go crazy with the green stuff lol.... They sound fun.

The megaforce comes with some stuff that you wont need nor want, so its best if you just buy individual packs....

Welp, thats all I gots to say

Good luck

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-also look through the army list section, there is a very nice list made by Hyperion703.
    Sweet. Thanks for the big ups.

-hype

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start considering not buying the mega force. What would be a good starting army for 1000 points? I am no longer set on Slaanesh and am wondering which the best build would be for me. I like shooting and close combat, but am more inclined to shooting. Also, I only play very casually with my two cousin's and their friend, and we allow proxies. Also, buying individual boxes would cost me over $300 (Canadian.) I want to be able to play right away, but I also don't want to spend that much money in one visit to the store. What would be best for me to do in this situation?

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by IamJames; July 22nd, 2005 at 04:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IamJames
    Well thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start considering not buying the mega force. What would be a good starting army for 1000 points? I am no longer set on Slaanesh and am wondering which the best build would be for me. I like shooting and close combat, but am more inclined to shooting. Also, I only play very casually with my two cousin's and their friend, and we allow proxies. Also, buying individual boxes would cost me over $300 (Canadian.) I want to be able to play right away, but I also don't want to spend that much money in one visit to the store. What would be best for me to do in this situation?

Thanks,
    James

If thats the case just play black legion, which is essentially vanilla chaos space marines and has acess to all troops, im not sure whats in the mega box or whatever it is so im not gonna coment on that but since your cousins allow proxies just make a regular black legion army and then you can try out all the other legions using stuff as proxies as you want, the only way youll be able to figure out ur style is through playing and after using a regular force you will soon be able to figure out what it is you do and dont like and then if you want move on to a more specific legion.

Good Luck
    -Midnight
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm here's a quick list of what each chaos troop does.
    Iron Warriors - heavy support (and a cool moto 'Iron within! Iron without!).
    World Eaters - Close combat (khorne).
    Night lords - sneaky .
    Word bearers - demons, demons, and more demons.
    Emporers children - Pink wierdos with psychic powers.
    Black legion - As midnight said pretty basic.

Theres a few I'm forgetting right now for some reason. But what I would suggest is if your going to make the move, before you buy anything get the codex. Read it over and get to know the rules of the army, and then you can know what you want for sure. Well good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks for the great advice. I am glad to find that there are still forums with mature and helpful members left on the internet. I haven't quite decided what I will do, but I plan deciding soon. I'll probably go with a basic army and proxy a lot to see what I like best. I am most interested in the Iron Warriors and Emporer's Children.
    Last edited by IamJames; July 22nd, 2005 at 23:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by devrok
    Emporers children - Pink wierdos with psychic powers.
    I take great offense to this. Nasty, nasty person.

Anyway, Iamjames, good luck with following the path of the damned, go with slaanesh (or esle! :p ) as they can adapt to lots of circumstances, but make sure you like how whatever you play works. There's no point playing WE if you like to sit there nuking any poor sod that tries to come near you. From what you said, liking a mix of shooting and CC, but with preference towards shooting, EC would be kinda your cup of tea. Although IW could fit the bill, EC have a more entertaining way of shooting things, rather than just pie-plating everything.
    Last edited by Monsieur Cartier; July 23rd, 2005 at 22:46.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

+ Reply to Thread