Death Guard advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Guard advice

I am planning to start a death guard army. can I get some advice on what I should get? also, any tactics advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the basic lads is a good start.

plague marines are gonna be your workhorses, get two squads of 7 with an asp champion, and then get a cheap leader.

to expand, i would buy an extra squad, a rhino formit to ride around in, and something heavy, like a defiler.

after that, it's down to persoanl taste really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which would be better, defiler or dreadnought?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personal taste, and depends on what your fighting.

i would say defiler, as DG are so naturally tough, they don't need a tye-up unit, and you need something to hit really hard.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

First thing is lots of regular troops. Get 2 squads for smaller games. Up to 3 for games under the 1500pt mark. In squads of 7 models of course. A lord, vehicle of some kind, and maybe some nurglings. As for the defiler/dread question it depends on your playing style. Dreads are more up-in-your-face, while defilers really have to sit back and shoot to survive.
    Last edited by numberofthebeastxxx; July 27th, 2005 at 00:31.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'd say invest in terminators...

I love nurgle terms, simply because they are such a pain in the ass to take down. Plasma still cuts them down effectively (like everything else) but things such as Howling banshee's have next to no luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you get is all up to personal taste, but one thing I learned is that you cant go wrong with lots of Plague marines, wether you get defilers, dreadnoughts or predators is all up to you, but do yourself a favour at get at least one of them in a 1000p army, and possibly 2 in 1500p.
    Dont make your lord/lieutenant too espensive, thats a typical rookie mistake, give him manreaper and one or two gifts and he's mean enough.
    I've never tried plague bearers, but supposedly they're great fund, especially against wraithlords. Never fielded a Great Unclean One either, but I really really want to try it, it should be able to soak up massive amounts of fire.

I prefer Infiltrate over Rhinoes, not so much for efficiency as for fluff reasons.

I have to disagree with numberofthebeastxxx, in 1500p I would never field less than 28 plague marines.

Here's how I built by Death Guard (Still working on them).
    I started with a lieutenant and 2 squads ot 7 plague marines, then I added 2 squads more and a dreadnought, then another squad of plague marines with a rhino and now I'm working on some termies.

As for tactics:
    When I face shooty armies, I generally infiltrate most of my army and then march over the table to get into rapidfire or assault range, depending on the enemy. The dreadnought lurks around in the back and shoots tanks and other big nasties.

For close combat armies, I tend to drop infiltration and hang back and shoot, although this usually entail moving for a turn or two, depending on the enemy's speed.

On a final note I higly recommend checking out other peoples Death Guard armies in the army list section, most people explain how they use the different units, which has been a great help to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah, but he is just starting...and termies, especially nurgle ones, are damned expensive both money and pointswise. It can/will be hard to make back the points for taking them, and there are other things worth spending points one with a better payoff, especially in small games. i think being able to afford two squads and a tank for one five man termie squad is a better deal.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbass
    I have to disagree with numberofthebeastxxx, in 1500p I would never field less than 28 plague marines.
    If you look I put under 1500pts. In a 1500pt game 4 squads is a good number. 2000pts should have 5 or more. Trust me man I played DG for a number of years. Rhinos are unfluffy for DG. Infiltrate is your best bet. Never underestimate the power of nurglings. They are great at tying up the scariest units on the board. I've had mine tie up a tricked out hive tyrant for almost the whole game and eventually bring down a chaos lord. Infiltrate also works great for bringing out plaguebearers early on in a game. Termies are great but NOT in games under 1500pts. Even then don't use too many unless it's a large game. They are very vulnerable to plasma. DG can take more punishment than almost any army. They are very tough, but don't just sit there. Be agressive with them and bring your superior toughness to bear. :cool:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just letting you know, i've been playing a normal chaos army for a few years. I just wanted some advice on what i should buy first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast