Advantages of certain types of CSM armies... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advantages of certain types of CSM armies...

I know there are many different types of armies of Chaos. I heard alot about the usual four chaos armies, the Iron Warriors, black leagion, and even word bearers. But what are the advantages of the Night Lords? Can anyone help me with choising the right chaos army for me? list the advangates of the various CSM armies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres some general info on the GW site, as well as some articles here on LO. One article actaully has a blurb on each legion. I would suggest looking those up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Katalyst will tell your everything when he gets on, he use nothing but Night Lords.

Member Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Codex lists them.
    Servo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos

the codex does not give enough info to help me make a disision, all i got from it was dref discribtions, such as the night lords having night vision and are good at fear and confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Would help if you told us what you were looking for in an army. If you were to state what you wanted out of your army, people could then make suggestions. It's not very productive to have people repeating to you what the Codex lists in advantages/disadvantages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by Devoltionist
    the codex does not give enough info to help me make a disision
    Things to be learned from the Codex:

CSM in Cult armies are 36-71% more expensive.

Does taking fewer Marines matter at all to you?

3 Undivided Legions have unique FOCs.

Do you have a preference for any of these?

Only one list is permitted to take Cultists.

Does the Ravening Horde option sound intriguing?

Still Undecided? Then Black is the Legion for you . . .

Good luck!

Playa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Okay, without any numbers..

Black legion / Space Marine Renegades / 'Generic' Chaos Army
    They are extremely versatile, and can field anything from the chaos list. This alone is it's own advantage, allowing you to build an army uniquely tailored to whatever style you wish. However, it will lack any special rules or advantages, so if you're into a very specific style of play, it might not work so well.

Alpha Legion
    The alpha legion have access to a lot of infiltrating troops, as well as cheap cultists to pad out their numbers. This means you can field a numerous army with plenty of cannon fodder, should you so choose, and the ability to infiltrate should give a tactical advantage in many situations. The downside is the absence of some of the powerful 'marked' troops, and limited access to daemons.

Night Lords
    The night lords have many advantages, including special veteran skills, but my perception is that they're really about fast strikes and fast attack choices (every night lords player I've met has strongly recommended using the bonus slots you get.) You will usually be able to outmaneuver their opponents, but, because fast attack is expensive, you might be outnumbered, and will need to choose battles and use the terrain to minimise casualties. They also lack access to marked troops and most daemons, which makes them slightly more tactically limited.

Iron Warriors
    The Iron Warriors can be played a variety of ways, but most successful strategies depend on the application of heavy weapons. This doesn't mean they just stand and shoot, but heavy support should always fill a key part of your strategy if you wish to be effective with iron warriors. The ability to field extra obliterators can also shape your strategy, and an army which hinges on obliterators is not out of the question. But, again, they can't take marked troops or daemons, limiting their tactics, and your army can end up very light on the models after paying for the expensive stuff.

Word Bearers
    I've seen two types of word bearers list.. The fluffy one hinges on masses of daemons, the cheesy one hinges on masses of chaos marine squads. I'd suggest the former, myself. When properly delivered, daemons can be very powerful, but the weakness is that they need to be properly delivered to be effective. Daemons tend to excell in up close and personal combat, and leaving them out in the open is a bad idea. Word bearers also suffer from the same lack of cult troops as the other undivided legions.

Cult Armies
    Cult armies are extremely tactically limited, but very, very powerful if played correctly. You didn't show much interest in your initial post, so I'll do them super quick. The major downside with all of them is that they're going to be a lot lighter on models than any of the other armies, due to the extra cost of marks.
    World Eaters - Easy to play, but unfortunately, easy to learn to fight. World Eater armies rely on raw power, but the downside is that half the time you won't be controlling that power.
    Death Guard - Moderately flexible compared to most cult armies, death guard have a range of strategies available to them. I've only seen death guard play once, and the guy seemed to have quite a bit of success with a mixture of rhino squads loaded with special weapons and lascannon armed heavy support.
    Emperor's Children - My own army. The Emperor's Children are a very flexible, with a mixture of powerful ranged weapons, close combat abilities and morale damaging effects which, when combined, can be nasty. Some people like shooty EC armies, but I maintain balance is the only way to go here.
    Thousand Sons - Very difficult to play, the thousand sons have very powerful, very expensive basic troops. Their infantry seriously lacks mobility and long range firepower, but the latter can be compensated for by proper use of the sorceror who leads every squad, and the former using transport vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed.

Member Iron Warrior w/ Servo Arm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:confused:

That's basically less than what the codex gives you. But if it helped, great!
    Servo.

+ Reply to Thread