Mixed Deamon squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixed Deamon squads

Hey
    Is there any advantages of using Flamers and horrors in the same squad. A few people have suggested this to me but i do not see any advantages.
    Also can you mix other deamons into the squad say 5 flamers of tzeentch and then 5 bloodletters to give the quads a bit of close combat goodness.
    Thanks

*Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Taking Horrors instead of Flamers is like taking Red Shirts for squads. They're just there to soak up casualties while the main dudes fight back.

You cannot mix other types of daemons. Horrors/Flamers are a special exception since they're basically the same daemon, just one has an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's much like a dev squad.

You have 4 plasma guns. You want to use them for as long as possible. You will take every model but the plasma weilders as casualties first.

Deamon sheild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But wouldnt i have 2 have more horrors than flamers due to the rule where you have to take the majority off first or do the both count as the same model for that purpose
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

As far as I'm concerned, they're horrors with upgrades on them. Just like a Marine with an Aspiring Champion upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh right so if i threw a few horrors in aswell as flamers i could remove the horrors even though the flamers are the majority.
    Thanks for the help
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

You've technically got the idea, but for the wrong reason. Flamers aren't in the majority- they are the same as horros. Just like heavy weapon troopers in a dev squad. They aren't in the majority because they're the same as the rest of the squad.

As for combining daemons in daemon packs, you can't, but for daemonic beasts they've left out the wording that prohibits in that is present in the daemon packs description. Does anyone know any different- ie has it been ammended in the FAQ? From the codex, it's saying you can mix furies with screamers. Not that I'm saying you should, because that would be silly and anyone who tried it would need a slap.
    Last edited by Monsieur Cartier; August 19th, 2005 at 21:30. Reason: Typo
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurcartier
    As for combining daemons in daemon packs, you can't, but for daemonic beasts they've left out the wording that prohibits in that is present in the daemon packs description. Does anyone know any different- ie has it been ammended in the FAQ? From the codex, it's saying you can mix furies with screamers. Not that I'm saying you should, because that would be silly and anyone who tried it would need a slap.
    Ya know, now that you point this out - I can't find anywhere in the codex that states you can't mix and match daemon units. Could someone gladly point out where this is stated? I've read the universal rules at the front of the codex, the army listing entry for daemon packs and daemonic beast packs, the FAQ, and the Q&A. Nowhere. Maybe I'm just missing it? Maybe it's not there, and everyone just assumes you can't?

If you *can* mix and match, it would bring up all types of new questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

Page 33, under the daemonic beasts profile, it reads:
    Pack: 5-10 Beasts. A Daemonic Beasts pack may only contain one type of daemon
    NOT present for regular daemon packs! it just says:
    number/squad: 5-15
    Hmm..... it seems you can mix and match squads, as there is nothing ammending this ANYWHERE. I've just read the FAQ and there's no mention of this. The fact that it's mentioned for one unit and not the otherwould seem to imply it was intentionaly ommited. But it just sounds wrong. What do we trust? Logical thinking? Or the knowlegde that GW rules are often dodgily written?
    Last edited by Monsieur Cartier; August 20th, 2005 at 12:27. Reason: Typo
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurcartier
    Hmm..... it seems you can mix and match squads, as there is nothing ammending this ANYWHERE. I've just read the FAQ and there's no mention of this. The fact that it's mentioned for one unit and not the otherwould seem to imply it was intentionaly ommited. But it just sounds wrong. What do we trust? Logical thinking? Or the knowlegde that GW rules are often dodgily written?
    Well, I'd think that it was unintentionally omitted. But that's me thinking that GW actually means one thing while they say another.

Let's assume for a moment that you can mix and match the daemon squads. Who's banner would you summon them to? It would have to be Undivided, wouldn't it?

Even if they did make it to the battlefield, you have to deal with majority toughness issues, and in some cases, majority armour save issues. While it's true we have rules in place for these situations, it's not very practical. Not to mention what would happen when you start mixing dual wound models with single wound models. It'd be a nightmare, for sure.

While the letter of the law/rules allow you to, I have a hard time seeing a good reason as to why. It would seem to me that GW just made a (yet another) mistake in their codex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast