Chaos whirlwind? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos whirlwind?

Hey everyone. I recently started collecting Warhammer again after I stopped many years ago. I decided to start collecting Chaos (I was a space marine man before). So I'm a new Chaos collector and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. Is it possible to have a chaos Whirlwind...like am I able to convert a space marine one... Also can I use the space marine assault squad as I already had them from when I used to collect years ago and I would rather use them and convert them instead of buying some of the Raptors. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Hetfield

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you cannot take a Whirlwind in a Chaos Army, although Iron Warriors do have access to the Space Marine Vindicator and the Imperial Guard Basalisk.

As for the assault squad, it really comes down to the individual running the tournament, and how literally they take WYSIWYG. You could probably get away with it, as long as you used Chaos Shoulder Pads, Heads and Torsos. But don't hold me to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get a copy of the vehicle design rules you could probably field a chaos whirlwind if you convert the rules and the model. You would have to think a new name as im not sure you will be able to give your tank the whirlwind launcher.
    It would be quite a nifty project actually if you can. You will have to check in the VDR if you can buy a Whirlwind launcher or an equivalent weapon for your tank. Apart from that the armour and the movement rate depends on ho much you want the tank to cost.
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chosen_Of_Ahriman
    Ok so how do I go about doing the conversion? Where do I find these rules that I can use. I have the chaos codex. It would be great if I could get the whirlwind for my army. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

The VDR can be found in Chapter Approved 2004. Remember though that if you use them they are strictly with your opponent's consent (if he says no you can't field it), and your model will never be tournament legal.

On the Havoc issue, I'd say if you wanted to do that you'd still have to use the pre-heresy backpacks, the SM one's don't make sense on Chaos Marines.

And why do you want a Whirlwind anyway.......you could have a Defiler?

Whirlwind = S5 AP4
    Defiler = S8 AP3

See what I'm saying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you can get chapter approved or search the net for it.
    I downloaded a copy. Would there be a way for me to send it you.
    Its in PDF form

Ive looked at my copy and yes a chaos vehicle can have any weapon from the imperial section including the whirlwind launcher.
    A whirlwind launcher is cheaper than a battle cannon, You can give your own vehicle better armour and better other weapons. 3 Reasons why to make your own vehicle and not get a defiler (also defilers are 30 quid).
    Last edited by Chosen_Of_Ahriman; August 29th, 2005 at 16:23.
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I could get the whirlwind... Can I just use the whirlwind tank kit or would I have to make some major changes to it. If your able to send me the pdf then my email address is hetfield_86@hotmail.com . thanks heaps for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

You'd have to make some major changes to it, look at the difference between SM and CSM Rhinos, you'd need spiky bits and chaos icons all over it.

I recommend ordering the CSM vehicle accessory sprue:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...001&orignav=10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Addoran
    You'd have to make some major changes to it, look at the difference between SM and CSM Rhinos, you'd need spiky bits and chaos icons all over it.

I recommend ordering the CSM vehicle accessory sprue
    I do not want to start a fight, but I don't believe you have to make it look like chaos. The Iron Wariors players I know (2) use regular rhinos without spikes because they like the efficient not spiky look.

It's up to you to decide what is chaos what is not. Same for the assault squad. As long as you paint them well, I sincerely do not care if the jump pack is old or new design, mutated or clean. They may have deserted the empire recently, or the equipment may have been stolen from dead space marines.

Make them look evil and bad and they will be perfect representants of chaos hordes. And make sure that no one still have an empire sign left on their armour.

In the last tournament I was in, another player used the deathwing list to create the rottenwing which was an army of terminator dedicated to nurgle. As a matter of fact, he was playing the deathwing army list, but he was a chaos player.

Now, might i suggest using a rhino with a Havoc Launcher instead of a whirlwind. You loose the ability to indirect fire, but you can carry 10 chaos space marines. The trade is acceptable.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hetfield_86
    Also can I use the space marine assault squad as I already had them from when I used to collect years ago and I would rather use them and convert them instead of buying some of the Raptors. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Hetfield
    Actually WYSIWYG rules should not affect this, because in the chaos codex on page 4 it shows a CSM with a regular assault pack on, so if GW can do it, you can too.

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

+ Reply to Thread