Starting Out - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New To Warhammer 40k

Recently a couple of friends and I have decided to get into Warhammer 40k. We already have access to the rule books and codex. My friends and I were just wondering what the best way to start out is. What size armies should we chose and which combinations of units do we have to buy? So far we have pretty much decided which races we want to play, but we aren't too sure on which units to buy inorder to play correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NazT; September 5th, 2005 at 23:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Xuy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

It would be helpful if we knew which armies you wanted so we can give you more specific information but you generally start off with 2 basic troop choices and a HQ choice and build it up from there depending on what style army you want to play.
    A billion chinese can't be wrong - eat rice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Armies?

If armies means race. Then I want to play Chaos Space Marines, my bro - Daemon Hunters, and his friend - Necrons.

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

The smallest legal army includes 2 troop squads and an HQ. For necrons this is easy becuase there are only one choice fore each. two squads of 10 necron warriors and a necron lord. Chaos is a bit more difficult. You need to decide which chapter you want. I also play chaos space marines and necrons so you can PM me if you have any questions.
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Try to build your army in 500 point chunks. Add on to it when you've finished each chunk, and build up your army over time.

Also, I'm not sure where they're published, but see if you can find the rules for "Warhammer 40K in 40 minutes". It's games of 400 points that are designed to give you the general feel of each army, and applies restrictions to ensure no overpowered units show up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help guys, Much Appreciated. I've got a few more questions tho... Under the troops section in the Chaos Space Marines Codex I saw a unit called "Aspiring Champion", but I didn't see it on the Online 40k Catalog http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...og/default.htm could someone please xplain this. Under the optional missions you're allowed up to 3 extra elite squads (correct?)if so how many elites can you have per squad andHow many elites may I use if we are playing a 500 Point game?
    Last edited by NazT; September 6th, 2005 at 00:46.

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

No matter how many points the game is you can always use as many elites, troops, hqs, heavy supports, and fast attacks as it says in the force organisation chart. The only other times you can go above this are if you collect an army with rules that allow you change this, like iron warriors, if then scenario has rules that allow you to change this, or if the game is really big (e.g. 3000pts).
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by NazT
    Under the troops section in the Chaos Space Marines Codex I saw a unit called "Aspiring Champion", but I didn't see it on the Online 40k Catalog
    CSM figs modelled with Wargear are de facto Champs.

Power Fists and the like are not available to Troopers.

So, one CSM is upgraded to provide Wargear to a Unit.

Champions are the Sergeants in a CSM list.

They are often modelled with a Pistol and Sword.

Under the optional missions you're allowed up to 3 extra elite squads (correct?)
    You are allowed a *total* of 0-3 Elites in normal lists.

how many elites can you have per squad and How many elites may I use if we are playing a 500 Point game?
    Ordinarily, 1 HQ and 2 Troops are the *minimum* FOC:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alpha Legion List - 491pt
    HQ 20%
    Inf MoCU Lord
    PFist, BPistol [96]

TR 80%
    10 Inf MoCU CSM, 2*MGun, Champ
    PFist, MBomb (213)

10 Inf MoCU CSM, 2*FGun
    Frag (182) [395]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As you can see, a minimum FOC can come to 500pts.

Technically, you may take up to 3 Elites afterward.

Realistically, you won't have the points until 750 or so.

Specifically, Chaos Elites are so pricey, it's 1000 or so.

Personally, I only take Elites/ Retinues at 1500 or so.

Cheap CSM are too effective to pass up in small lists.

Good luck, and have fun!

Playa

--

Cool nick, btw! :- D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a fellow chaos player i would say u should buy either the mega battle starter box (about 140$) or the battle box ( i dont know how much it costs but its less than 140 bucks jeez) both come with what u need for a basic battle and are a good starter. The only thing is they both come with a unit of khorne berzerkers which could end up costing u more if u dont want them.

P.S. try to figure out what legion/chaos god army u want to use (chaos undivided and the Black legion are the basics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres a short guide to the powers of chaos.

+Khore a.k.a. The World Eaters- Blood crazy close combat maniacs. If you like the priciples of close combat or your like modeling/painting blood, this is the chaos legion for you.

+Nurgle- High toughness troops and cool story. These guys are all about rot and decay.

+Slaanesh- Unique shooty wepons to choose from, and really good armoury (or wargear) options. Desire pleasure and pain, and pink panties.

+Tzeentch- All troops have 2 wounds but move slowly across the battlefield. Focus on pshyic powers and the like.

+Iron Warriors- If you like shootin' and tanks this is your army. Can replace a fast attack choice for a single Heavy support. These guys are into bionics and mechanical stuff.

There are a couple others that might suit you better but these are the most popular choices.
    Have fun and Ill see on the field of battle.
    *Raises Ultramarine company standard in preperation for battle*

~~~No1 :cool:
    The guilty laugh while the innocent suffer.............WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!

+ Reply to Thread