Chaos Undivided Summoning - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Chaos Undivided Summoning

I have 3 questions:

Q1:
    The codex states that daemon unit can only be summoned by a unit with either the Mark of Chaos Undivided or the Mark of the daemon's patron god. It also states that a unit aligned to a different god than the army leader must be taken as an Elite choice.

If I have a Chaos Undivided army are Daemonettes taken as Troop or Elite choices? By the letter of the codex they seem to remain Troop choices as they do not actually have a Mark of Chaos assigned to them as they are daemons.

Q2:
    Also, do the arch-enemies rules affect models in a Chaos Undivided army? Can we take a unit of Khorne Berserkers and Slaanesh Noise Marines (both as Elite choices because they bear Marks of Chaos)?

Q3:
    Can you mix Marks of Chaos with Chosen? Suppose my Chosen are grouped into three units, one retinue for Lord, one retinue for Lt., one separate unit. Can each unit have a different Mark of Chaos as they are in effect three different units? Or do they all have to be outfitted similarly?
    I was thinking of Lord retinue with Mark of Chaos Undivided (Black Legion army), The Lt. and retinue with Mark of Khorne, and the separate unit with the Mark or Tzeencth.

Since Chosen are already Elite choices they don't waste a slot since they have Marks different then the Lord.

I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Q1:
    Any CSM maked with anything other than chaos undivided MUST be brought as an elite choice unless;
    A. Your lord shares the same mark
    B. You are playing a specific legion (in which case A still remains true)

Demons can be taken as troops choices if the lord has mark of chaos undivided.

Q2:
    The rule stays in place no matter what, so no, you cannot have zerkers and noise marines in the same army.

Q3:
    Short answer is no. Because no matter how you allocate them, all chosen come as one elite choice and thus MUST be marked the same way.
    Last edited by thedrifter777; September 12th, 2005 at 20:43.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    I have 3 questions:

Q1:
    The codex states that daemon unit can only be summoned by a unit with either the Mark of Chaos Undivided or the Mark of the daemon's patron god. It also states that a unit aligned to a different god than the army leader must be taken as an Elite choice.

If I have a Chaos Undivided army are Daemonettes taken as Troop or Elite choices? By the letter of the codex they seem to remain Troop choices as they do not actually have a Mark of Chaos assigned to them as they are daemons.
    Daemon packs don't have Marks of Chaos. Therefore they don't suffer from the FO rules. They always stay as Troops choices.

Q2:
    Also, do the arch-enemies rules affect models in a Chaos Undivided army? Can we take a unit of Khorne Berserkers and Slaanesh Noise Marines (both as Elite choices because they bear Marks of Chaos)?
    The codex is quite clear on this one - the arch-enemies rule only applies when the commander of the army bears a specific mark. Those bearing no mark or the MoCU don't have to worry about the wrath of a patron god, so don't follow those rules.

Q3:
    Can you mix Marks of Chaos with Chosen? Suppose my Chosen are grouped into three units, one retinue for Lord, one retinue for Lt., one separate unit. Can each unit have a different Mark of Chaos as they are in effect three different units? Or do they all have to be outfitted similarly?
    I was thinking of Lord retinue with Mark of Chaos Undivided (Black Legion army), The Lt. and retinue with Mark of Khorne, and the separate unit with the Mark or Tzeencth.

Since Chosen are already Elite choices they don't waste a slot since they have Marks different then the Lord.
    Tough question.

I would say yes. The reason is because the book only states that members of a unit need to bear the same mark. Since you can essentially form three different units, they may have different marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

On the last question, provided all the seperate units follow the 5 models plus (4+ for a retinue with an IC) minimum size restriction for a unit of chosen, I believe you can give them different marks. The fact that there is a maximum number of chosen in an army, and the fact that they cost a lot for that relatively pointless Ld boost, compensates for the ability to field them as a single elites choice.

Also remember that the characters have to have the same mark as their retinue.

The wording of the book is 'any unit which normally occupies an troops, fast attack or heavy support choice' becomes an elites choice when given a mark. Since chosen don't fall into this group, I'd imagine they just stay as they are.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

I'm with Caluin all the way on this one.

Regarding question 3, I would indeed equip chosen unit by unit, thereby allowing different marks, as long as all the models in one UNIT have the same mark.
    Now here's another bone: most players I've seen agree that you can have a total of TWO chosen units: one as a retinue, and one as an elite.
    This said, now that I read the codex carefully, it seems that both the lord and the lieutenant can have a retinue, therefore allowing up to 3 units of chosen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM
    I'm with Caluin all the way on this one.

Regarding question 3, I would indeed equip chosen unit by unit, thereby allowing different marks, as long as all the models in one UNIT have the same mark.
    Now here's another bone: most players I've seen agree that you can have a total of TWO chosen units: one as a retinue, and one as an elite.
    This said, now that I read the codex carefully, it seems that both the lord and the lieutenant can have a retinue, therefore allowing up to 3 units of chosen.
    Yup, the codex states that both the Lord and Lt. can have a retinue so if you want to spend the points on a Lt. you can have three units of Chosen. I am playing an MoCU army so my Lord and retinue must have MoCU, my Lt. and retinue can have the Mark of Khorne, and my stand-alone Chosen unit can have the Mark of Tzeench (or however you spell it!).
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

+ Reply to Thread