Bolter : How do you use it to be efficient - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Bolter : How do you use it to be efficient

Allright, I know there is a big post about it in the Space Marines Forum, but it's mostly about Blood Angels players being pissed off about bolting and assaulting in the same turn. But since we are Chaos Players, we have the choice between bolters and bolt pistols.

Before, I was using bolt pistol. In fact, it was merely an additionnal close combat weapon as I don't recall having shot a bolt pistols shell in my whole warhammer gaming experience.

Now, I just discovered that bolters are nice, but I do not realy know how to use it with Chaos Space Marines. I will begin my Thousand Sons army and I realy want to know what you do with your bolters (don't bother with the thousand sons reference here).

I did kill some necron's special unit with those, but how do you move and shoot? How do you avoid being charged after shooting at 12" ? Are Chaos space Marines still good in Close Combat with bolters, since they only get 1 attack + 1 in assault ?

I use those with my Death Guard, but it's not the same since you do not have to be good to be a nurgle player.

Your call here !!!

[Sorry, I did not found any tactica about bolters, if you got any, just reference it here.]

MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

This is a bit of an odd question, but I'll try. Basically, fire your bolters at the huge low-armoured units, or the small high armoured units. They will rock in both. They are perfect at blowing apart small units or finishing off the remnants of high powered units, and are cheap so will nearly always make you proud, especially in thousand sons, as i know.

As for the other questions, not meaning to flame, but they are pretty stupid - "are bolter units good in combat" could mean any number of things. You charge a bolter marine unit into a squad of eldar guardians or Tau, and they'll most likely tear them apart. You charge them into genestealers and a bolt pistol and CCW unit will do much more damage. And as for the question on avoiding charges when within 12", you can't. Even that unit of pathfinders would probably rather charge you (if they don't tear you apart with carbines first) than be charged by CSM, so basically, if you're in charge range, and the unit is competent on the charge, then expect to be charged yourself before you get the chance.
    What we do with our bolters is...shoot everything that they can hurt. They're a sickeningly multi-purpose weapon, which can be annoying if you have multiple target choices. But they'll do you proud.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofchange
    What we do with our bolters is...shoot everything that they can hurt. They're a sickeningly multi-purpose weapon, which can be annoying if you have multiple target choices. But they'll do you proud.
    I agree 100% with this statement.

I would add one addition: my bolter squads usually get special weapons also. They will carry the lascannons and the plasma guns or the heavy bolters.

Simply because they are going to have to stand still to be most effective anyway, they may as well carry some weapons with some good 'oomph' that work best when standing still also.

That's just one of my favorite tactics with them anyway.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Bolters are amazing. Now that rapid fire weapons can be fired half range twice even if you moved is nuts. Add in 2 plasma guns and you have a unit that can deal severe damage to any infintry unit and decent damage to a unit in power armor.

They can be used offensively and defensively. Stand there and take pop shots at 24" or move up and blast away once within 12".

I love them.

One of the best weapons in the game, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

There is one important detail about firing bolters: One should always fire the heavier weapons first. If the opponent then already removed the casualties, one has a better chance to wound all remaining models with the bolters and thus to force a seperate armour save for a special weapon model or the squad character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think bolters are sick on marines, try them on Sisters of Battle ^^.

Bolters are not as good as a standard issue pulse rifle, but get the job done admirably. Outside of vehicles/really high T units, there is nothing that a hail of bolter fire will not eventually bring down. That 200 pt deamon prince can be cut down by 150 points of bolter goodness at 12 inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't Thousand Sons primary troops Slow and Purposeful? That being the case they could always shoot up to 24 inches even if they move which gives you another nice aspect of bolters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook
    If you think bolters are sick on marines, try them on Sisters of Battle ^^.

Bolters are not as good as a standard issue pulse rifle, but get the job done admirably. Outside of vehicles/really high T units, there is nothing that a hail of bolter fire will not eventually bring down. That 200 pt deamon prince can be cut down by 150 points of bolter goodness at 12 inches.
    Yup the big gun work well on the Sisters :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only do they get acts of faith, they can come enmass with 11 points a peice.

100 points gets you 7 unmarked marines
    6 Space marines
    9 Sisters

Sure, they take wounds easier, but have the same save. They can be amazingly evil vs things that have low str weponry (guard)

+ Reply to Thread