Death guard or Thousand sons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death guard or Thousand sons?

I'm looking for an army that will be fighting SM and orks. I DO NOT!!! want an all shooty army. But khorne is not for me. I would like to be able to shoot as I charge the enemy. Nurgle's rot is sweet sounding, but Thousand Sons are cool to. Please help me find the best one for me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

After my Necrons, I wanted a more CC oriented army. Tyranids and khorne just wern't for me, but death guard, man do these guys rock. T5 marines with true grit just kick ass in both shooting and CC. Now I don't have any experiance with thousand sons, but I can attest the death guard rock at both shooting and CC.
    Last edited by thedrifter777; September 18th, 2005 at 05:47.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't like shooty, don't play as 1ksons.

Deathguard can slowly advance on any given enemy and be a real pain in the ass to get rid of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook
    If you don't like shooty, don't play as 1ksons.
    Yea i agree with Rook. 1k sons suck ass in CC so they just slowly advance and shoot the hell outa stuff that is coming towards them whist your opponent looks in awe as you have 2 wound marines :lol:
    This said i suggest 1k sons as they are so goddamn cool :cool:
    *Painting In Progress*
    *Planning Stages*
    Thousand Sons of Chaos, Melekh's Host - 2000 Pts
    Ogre Kingdoms, Tribe Of The Blooded Gut - 3500 Pts
    Khorne Daemonic Legion, The Hordes Of Blood - 2000 Pts
    Nurgle Possesed Ravenwing Army, The Rottenwing - 2000 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Sounds like you want a Deathguard army.

The Deathguard really will do well against Orks due to their increased T (your opponent will be relying on 6 to wound a lot of the time), and their True Grit means they get enhanced CC abilities to boot.

The downside is they are a smaller army.........but again they are a bigger army than the 1k Sons.

I would like to be able to shoot as I charge the enemy
    However this is the only statement you may not like.........Death Guard are armed with Rapid Fire weapons meaning after they shoot, they cannot assault. However they can rapid fire and then receive the charge, they fight just as well if charged as if they can charged themselves. Their resiliance also means they will last up better than most marines no matter what charges them. Outfit them with loads Plague Marines (your best unit) with free Aspiring Champions with Powerfists or Plagueswords, and away you go.

So generally.....you would want to play Death Guard.
    Last edited by Addoran; September 18th, 2005 at 11:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help guys sounds like deathguard are for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just like to mention that thousand sons, despite popular belief, do NOT suck in HtH. a monster of a sorceror with gift of chaos and 5 fist attacks hiding behind 16 power armor wounds is very effective at mopping up just about anything, and their terminators, while being low on number of attacks, more than make up for it with a huge number of wounds. While they are not a pack of genestealers or a khorne feeding frenzy, they can more than hold their own against the majority of opponents.

And if you do want to rapid fire into someone's face and then then charge into him there are only two armies that can currently do so. The first is grey knights because of their storm bolters (but at 25+ points per wound...) and thousand sons because of slow but purposeful (which these days should be known as purposeful). (as a side note, I don't really consider a bolt pistol exactly "devastating" in the shooting department considering that statistically a marine with a bolt pistol shooting once is less effective than a rapid firing hellgun)

*edited for your protection*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

@Mad Hatter

Aren't Storm Bolters Assault weapons? Or do Grey Knights have some special weapon rule I don't know about?

As for the Bolt Pistol, in the hands of a unit that will eventually wind up charging into Close Combat, it is statistically just as effective, if not more effective than a standard Bolter. Against a static enemy (like Fire Warriors, or Necron Warriors), the Bolt Pistol will, over the course of closing with the enemy, get off just as many shots as a Bolter, but will still give the attack bonus that Bolters do not.

Against an enemy that moves into your Charge threat range, the Pistol actually gives you more shots per model (One shot, compared to zero with Bolters) before you engage in Close Combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that 'Sons are just as good at CC as other marines due to revisions in the Slow and Purposeful rule. Or was that something else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, a bolt pistol just by itself, one shot (let's assume you are moving or assaulting) is better than nothing. I'll agree to that any day of the week. HOWEVER, a rapid firing bolter charge from a thousand son model is statistically better than a bolt pistol weilding marine. If you REALLY want to push the matter, a single thousand son model will kill more than 2 marines simply because he's always going to have a 24" range, vs your BP/cc 's 12. Now once in combat you will have an advantage using a BP/CC because of number of attacks.

In my opinion the following weapons are effective assault weapons:

Daemonic Fire.
    Storm Bolter
    Combibolter (on a terminator)
    Plasma Pistol
    Bolter(on thousand sons)
    Inferno Pistol

Not as effective weapons:

Bolt Pistol
    Las Pistol
    Hell Pistol
    Shuriken Pistol

Situational:

Flamers
    Meltas

*and no storm bolters are assault, I included them because they're the basic weapon of a grey knight*
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; September 21st, 2005 at 05:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast