Chosen, what to choose? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Chosen, what to choose?

I'm making a 1500 pt. list for this years Ice-GT tournament that's being held in 2 weeks. The Chaos faction I'm fielding are the Night Lords and I'm aiming for a more fluffy army rather than the "omg juu just n00bzor3d m3 with y0ur 1337 un1t5! omg rofllol!!!!1111" chaos armies I've seen a few times.

My main problem with doing that is that I have few fast attack "models" around, and those number at 4 bikes and 5 raptors + the twin L. claw lord/champion Raptor model.
    Seeing as those will occupy my fast attack slots and I have no furies I've gone to other areas seeking elements for my army...I figure a large force of Chaos Marines led by a unhinged Lord who is in turn being manipulated by a devious Sorcerer shall do quite nicely.
    To give you a sense for the force I usually wield (usually play 40K in 40M although have had a few rare 1000 pt games) I use my Sorcerer alot, seeing as I find Sorcerers to be well at home within the Night Lord fluff (seeing things, predicting the future, hearing the Night Haunters will etc.).

Now all that was just intro, my problem is my Chosen.
    I want to field a unit of chosen that works, is fluffy and is still too not much of a point sink so that it'll hurt "too" bad if it bites the dust fast.

My first attempt at a chosen was this:

The Nightpack (Chosen)
    - 4 x in Power armor
    * 1 x Icon bearer
    * Sorcerer
    - Gift of Chaos

2 x Terminators
    [All have Mark of Chaos Undivided]

= 179

Although, straight after wrote this up I saw various problems.
    1.) The armor mix means, if I understand correctly, that the Terminator armor will be pretty useless.
    2.) Is kindof...flat, they're not that special...the Sorcerer is the one that stands out, that's all.

My second attempt and what I have as my current pick is this:

The Nightpack (Chosen)
    - 3 x CCW Marines (51)
    * 1 x Icon bearer (20)
    - 2 x CCW Aspiring Champions in Power armor (54)
    *Number one is a Sorcerer (5)
    - Gift of Chaos (20)
    * Number two is armed with Power weapon (10)
    [All have Mark of Chaos Undivided] (5)

Total: 165

This one kindof has what I'm looking for although only 2 marines are not assigned to anything which means it really hurts to lose anyone.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what a nice NL chosen unit would look like? Their role would be to support the Lord which will most likely footslog his way across the board engaging in Meleé and striking fear in the hearts of men.

Any advice when making a retinue would be very well received as well.

Last edited by PrOtOcoN; September 18th, 2005 at 23:54.

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest that you go with something like partially armor guys (less hinderance), draped in like black/burnt brown material (like cameo), scars and tats around the eyes. Something that makes them psycotically evil looking and that they love to scare the **** out of people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I agree with your assessment of your first squad. The mixed armor has the the ability to make the Terminator armor next to useless and it does seem a little bit bland.

The second squad has a bit more character and the points that you saved on the terminator armor can be used elswhere. However, it will hurt to lose even one person out of that squad as they are all useful.

Lastly, is there any way that you can make the squad a bit bigger? I can't tell by the way you wrote it, but it looks to me like you only have seven guys in the first squad and six in the second. I would probably flesh them out to a 10 man squad so that they can absorb casualties.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

How can you have a Night Lord army with only 6 Raptors and keep it fluffy? They give each army in the codex its own personal rules.

I truely feel if you don't take heed to those rules, how can the army truley be fluffy, like droping the Raptors 0-1 when using a Night Lord army.

I'm a long time Night Lord player so I think the idea of fluffy hits home.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops completely missed the subject, I agree with Katalyst BTW. I think you should just take a squad of Raptors and have then represent the Chosen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Katalyst
    How can you have a Night Lord army with only 6 Raptors and keep it fluffy? They give each army in the codex its own personal rules.

I truely feel if you don't take heed to those rules, how can the army truley be fluffy, like droping the Raptors 0-1 when using a Night Lord army.

I'm a long time Night Lord player so I think the idea of fluffy hits home.
    How?
    Night Lords use alot of fast attack, if the Night Lord entry would read in this way: "Must use atleast 2 squads of Raptors" then ofcourse I'd have acquired more raptors by now.
    And yes, I know they give each army in the codex their own rules but sadly, if I go to my local store and say "Hey I'm a NL player give a discount of those hyper expensive single-model-single-blister Raptors and/or boxed set with 5 dudes which costs even more" they'll just laugh.

So, to go back to my point, by just using those 9 units (5 raptors, 4 bikes) I'll have used more fast attack than I have ever seen around here in a Chaos army.
    Also, the 0-1 raptors is an option, not a requirement.
    If you see IW player with 1 or no obliterators in his army would you say he is being unfluffy?
    No, I'll increase my raptor count when I get the money to do so, until then those are the models I have to work with so I'm doing my best with what I have.
    I'll post the entire list in the army list section later, then all kinds of comments about the fluff validity of a Raptor low NL army can be discussed, can we until then please keep this to the Chosen?

HeraldOfChaos: I'm not looking for modelling/painting advice for my chosen, rather an assessment what my chosen unit should look like in terms of items, unit count and/or skills.

H0urg1ass: I could make the squad bigger, but I'm worried about the points again. I'm paying what, 3 extra points for a Ld. increase. I don't have much experience with retinues (never used 'em in fact) so I'm wondering.
    Do I want an entourage following my Lord around? If so then these guys will cause immense amounts of damage (all kitted out for assault) and so should beware of first round slaughter and being left in plain view of something with attitude and firepower.
    Or do I want a small support team? Providing support but while not being "too much".

I don't know honestly...any thoughts on this? As well as an alternative selection as well as perhaps a Retinue/Lord combo? (so as well as giving advice on the Chosen, to give advice for Lord selection so the Chosen perform to the max)

Thanks for your replies and I look forward to more.
    Last edited by PrOtOcoN; September 19th, 2005 at 16:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither was I saying just use Raptors as the models, take a group of Chosen that have "Jump Packs", than stick a bunch of assault weapons with them. Hit them then run. That way they can earn their points. And to distingish them from other Raptors, decorate them with tropiues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldOfChaos
    Neither was I saying just use Raptors as the models, take a group of Chosen that have "Jump Packs", than stick a bunch of assault weapons with them. Hit them then run. That way they can earn their points. And to distingish them from other Raptors, decorate them with tropiues.
    You mean simply use the raptor models to represent the chosen, place assault weapons on them and then use a "attack" and "retreat" tactic with them?

I'm having a hard time as to where to begin here...
    First off, I'm big on WYSIWIG. If the Chosen are wearing jump packs then they can fly. Unless I upgrade them all to Aspiring champions and give them flight this'll not make any sense.
    Assault weapons would be Meltas and flamers. You mean I should give them a mix between anti-tank and anti-infantry? Or do you mean I should place CCW weapons on them and just attack? What is implied with "[...] a bunch of assault weapons?"

And by hitting and running, well, so I try to fail my Ld. check and regroup hoping he won't chase me down? Or...Attack and then try to escape somewhow...Chosen do not have the "Hit & Run rule" The Raptors have that (and Tzeentch screamers if I remember correctly). There is no such thing as hitting and running for normal troops (as far as I know).
    I'd not say that a Chosen CSM is earning his points by jumping in and out of CC, I want them to follow the Lord and support him in whatever he decides to do. They are not running around by themselves here.

My store is not too big on WYSIWIG...but I can be sure of that they'd go cross eyed if I claimed the Raptors were not able to fly and they were infact footslogging Chosen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to help. I just use regular Raptors so I can engage on my turn and break off during my opponents turn with their "Hit and Run" special run. Then shot again and repeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

When you said Icon bearer, do you mean one of the special icons, such as the deamon icon, or icon of chaos undivided?

One tactic I like is the deamon icon combined with an infiltrating chosen squad with a either bloodletters or deamonettes bound to the icon. I've had some glares tossed at me for a 1st turn 10 bloodletter charge.

Chosen are always going to be expencive for what you get out of them. Having two aspiring champs in the squad really makes them a great way for your opponent to rack up some VPs with shooting. Put the powerweapon on the sorcerer to keep the same CC power, and drop the second champ entirely. You can't really make a chosen squad too special without making it cost far too much to be effective. Tossing a chaos spawn into the unit is one way to get 2 relativly cheap 3+ saves, and some close combat fun into a unit. The model is costly though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast