Marked Infantry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marked Infantry

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Marked Infantry

My question reguards the 4 different types marked infantry; Berserkers, Noise Marines, Plauge Marines, and Thousand Sons. Which are really best at shooting and CC? My understanding of unit to unit analysis looked something like this:

Shooting:

Thousand Sons
    Noise Marines
    Death Guard
    Berserkers

Close Combat:

Berserkers
    Death Guard
    Noise Marines
    Thousand Sons

Now I assume my ranking is based on at least some mispercetion of abilities and effectivness on the battlefield, so any comments would be great.

"Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

I'd definatly put Noise Marines first for shooting. Their sonic blasters are better than storm bolters and are much better than Thousand sons shooting full distance when moving ability.

It should be

Shooting
    Emperor's Children
    Thousand Sons
    Death Guard
    Berzerkers

I think in combat, Death Guard and Emperor's Children would tie. DG have True Grit, but EC have Warp Scream. One has more attacks, one lowers enemy initiative. I think both are equally as good.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

I agree s/ Black Katalyst. The only time when 1000 sons are better at shooting is when you need the 2 AP. This seems to be the one weakness of Slaanesh. Regarding the C.C., I tend to prefer plague marines, because they are more likely to survive the ranged assaults, while they are moving across the board. Also, warp scream does nothing against genestealers (6 init). In defense of Slaanesh, they can usually shoot up their opponent enough to where there's not much threat of C.C., or, whatever is left they can handle. I really don't know why more peopel aren't playing Slaanesh. They are a very solid army w/ well-rounded abilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

However, one vital tactical component of chaos is being ignored here.. flexibility.

Not all Emperor's Children will have sonic blasters.. you can give them bolt pistols and close combat weapons to make great close combat troops.

Heck, you can give berserkers bolters and a lascannon and thousand sons bolt pistols if you like.

It's not clear cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Shooting:

Noise Marines
    Thousand Sons
    Death Guard
    Khorne Berzerkers

Combat:

Khorne Berzerkers
    Thousand Sons (2 wounds. come on.)
    Noise Marines
    Death Guard
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    However, one vital tactical component of chaos is being ignored here.. flexibility.

Not all Emperor's Children will have sonic blasters.. you can give them bolt pistols and close combat weapons to make great close combat troops.

Heck, you can give berserkers bolters and a lascannon and thousand sons bolt pistols if you like.

It's not clear cut.
    Actually... ummm... yah, it is. Beserkers can only upgrade to Plasma Pistols, nothing else. Thousand Sons cannot take anything but Bolters, period. (This excludes Terminators)

Shooting is pretty simple to figure out - Katalyst is correct. Noise Marines can put out three times the shots than any other legion at range, for the same points as a Thousand Sons trooper. While 1K Sons might have the extra wound, Noise Marines can easily punch through that.

Close Combat is far, far harder to gauge. I would rate Noise Marines with CCW + Pistol over Beserkers, in most cases, as being able to strike before your opponent is better than leveling more attacks. However, in the case of Genestealers, that doesn't matter, does it?

Thousand Sons should rate much higher, due to the extreme survivability of the Hidden Powerfist. But against things that inflict Strength 8 or higher hits, that isn't an advantage any more.

It all really depends on the situation.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    Close Combat is far, far harder to gauge. I would rate Noise Marines with CCW + Pistol over Beserkers, in most cases, as being able to strike before your opponent is better than leveling more attacks. However, in the case of Genestealers, that doesn't matter, does it?
    Take a look at my slaaneshi lord in the army list section, would kick the pants off broodlord and his reutine.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

The trick of the Broodlord is jumping on you in the First Turn with his Genestealer retinue though... and killing 2 Marines, causing me to fail my Morale check TWICE (Undivided!?) and wiping out the whole squad. AH! Plus hell, shoot the dumb thing.

Caluin summed up everything for us. Generally, they rank above eachother, but those ranks change depending on the situation. The reason I put Berzerkers above Noise Marines in CC is the Choppa Effect, but yes, it Does depend on what your fighting.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    You're forgeting about the almighty Khornate Chain Axe. That is what truly makes Berzerkers the best marked infantry in combat. And just because you get to hit me first doesn't mean I don't get my 3+ save. Not so when you hit me.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I agree about the Khornate axes. That combined with the extra attack makes for a high rate of kills. The initiative is more of a durability thing, in a way more like the extra wound of TS or the T boost of Nuglites.

Andusciassus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast