Why does nobody use word bearers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does nobody use word bearers?

I am asking this simply because i am thinking about playing a word bearers army and i'd like some input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Though I'm not playing them myself I have seen quite a few Wordbearers armylists floating around the forums. I think they are a great army and think you'll have a great time playing with them.

Andusciassus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

If I were to hazzard a guess as why they arn't as popular as some of the other varient army lists in Chaos, it would be lack of extra power, and lack of variability.

By taking wordbearers you lose out on anything non-undivived, which can add a lot of flavor to a list, and you don't gain any extra abilities such as Alpha Legion, Iron warriors, or Night Lords.

What you do get is the ability to take a CSM heavy army, and lots of deamons. However as much as I love deamons and almost always toss some in, investing too heavily in them can lead to a little to much luck in your game.

That isn't to say that the list is bad, the accursed crozius is a great deamon weapon, and while it is rare to fail moral checks with chaos undivided, you can toss in demagogue to make sure you never fail, but again as the army is so hard to break anyway, it's almost more of a fluff thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Xrix1 pretty much nailed it. The bonuses of the Word Bearers generally don't outweight the disadvantages.

Word Bearers have three things that no other legion can get.

1) Cursed Crozius. Basically, you're paying 40 Daemonic Gift points for a 4+ invulnerable save. While it is a good weapon, you can almost mimic it (a 5+ invulnerable instead of 4+) for the same amount of points, but only paying 15 into Daemonic Gifts.

2) Demagogue. Expensive skill, and has a short range. Chaos Marines typically don't break very often in the first place, especially if you give them a much cheaper MoCU.

3) Extra troops choices. When was the last time you found that six troops choices wasn't enough for you?

Everything else can be replicated in a standard Black Legion army without giving up god specific Marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Unfortunatly Calium aproached Word Bearers with a cold 'touch'. The true is not that of course, Chaos is about fluff and if you want to play a particular legion and not just an Undivided Unamed Legion you can choose from the officials Legions or you can make your onw Legion with fluff etc. Black Legion is a bit smurf Legion, no serious fluff behind it like Word Bearers and of course "Why does nobody use word bearers?" is not true, cause Word Beares armies are very populars among those who like Daemons and Chaos fluff.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Very true. I tend to take a non-fluff view of the legions when I approach a question like this. I assume that if you know what armies fluff you like best, then you wouldn't have needed to ask a question like this in the first place.

If you're using fluff to choose your army (which I condone - you should love your army first), then there's only two answers; you either like the fluff, or you don't.

Most of the time though, people don't choose their armies based on fluff. The armies you typically see here are built to be competitive, and the Word Bearers just can't claim the competitive bonuses that other legions can.
    Last edited by Caluin; October 6th, 2005 at 18:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I see a lot of Word Bearers players where i'm at over in NJ. Usually every tournament i play at has 1 player. Also I use the list at various time when i want to play and have some variety compared to my Iron Warriors. I just inform my opponent the list i'm working off, and use my tin cans and let the daemons fly!
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

+ Reply to Thread