Death guard fast attack? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death guard fast attack?

my last 2 games against my brothers space marines have been pretty solid defeats. He usually wins by at least 5-7 men and we usually play last man standing type games.
    My list is basically a kitted out lord (140 ish points) who DSs and 3 plague marine squads of 7 men with infiltrate and meltaguns. I need something too tie up those guns for 1-2 turns while I close with him. He plays entirely shooty and avoids CC at all costs.
    Please help me find something to tie up those guns... could be some fast attack (I can't find anything in fast attack that can take a MoN) or maybe a AC HB predator? we play about 700 ish pt games at this time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

You're going to have a hard time with "Fast" in a Death Guard army. They're not exactly known for speedy manuevers.

Your best options are pretty much either Plague Marines in Rhino's, or a Leiut with Infiltrate and Daemonic Speed. An infiltrating sqaud of Havocs with Plasma Guns will also really put the hurt on any Space Marine army, and is probably the best pick of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help... I considered bikes but 45 $ for about 125pts is a pretty horrible $$-pts ration imo
    The havocs are looking like the best choice: Does anyone know what weapons the boxed havoc set comes with? If there aren't many plasma guns it would probably be cheaper to buy 4 plasma gun havocs and an AC model
    Last edited by kellster1; October 9th, 2005 at 18:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kellster1
    Thanks for your help... I considered bikes but 45 $ for about 125pts is a pretty horrible $$-pts ration imo
    The havocs are looking like the best choice: Does anyone know what weapons the boxed havoc set comes with? If there aren't many plasma guns it would probably be cheaper to buy 4 plasma gun havocs and an AC model
    Bikers can't take Mark of Nurgle, so I left them off, since you said you were playing Death Guard.

As for the Havocs, the boxed set comes with one of each Heavy Weapon - which helps you not one bit. You'll probably need to buy singles and build the squad that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would stick with the meltaguns. You need to close quickly, so the limited range is not a problem, especially with infiltrate. Do not stop to shoot, but make as much use of cover as you can on the way in. Plasma guns will also kill you every so often, adding to your initial problem of too many casualties.
    It sounds very basic, and it is, but spread out up to the maximum unit coherency distance, so you don't get hammered by blast template weapons.
    Nurglings are a good way to tie up units whilst you gang up on others elsewhere - if you are taking casualties, then you will probably need to gang up somewhere anyway. They are basically a sacrifice you make for the greater good. Throw them in and lose them - it is what they are there for. But, Nurglings just will not go away, so should pin your SM opponent long enough for you to get across to help - 7 bases will cost you 70 pts.
    Plaguebearer packs are useful (though not at their best vs power armour). The vagaries of summoning mean that you can move a considerable distance on the turn they arrive, which often helps to close that gap to assault. The downside is that they can also scatter behind you, thereby opening that gap as well - 7 costs you 112 pts.
    If your lord is deep striking, it sounds like you are using Terminator armour. I would not bother in this sized game. Give him a jump pack (daemonic speed) and hop between terrain until you can throw him in where it most hurts. He is active every turn if he is not deep striking and he is a very valuable commodity, so use him every turn if you can. Equip him for CC - a manreaper is good if you have the points. Daemonic strength will help greatly, as will simple things like "Spiky bits" - anything which improves your chances of killing lots with minimal return will help the imbalance due to the shooting casualties you have suffered. Steer clear of power fists initially due to the striking last rule. If you are worried about the need to take on vehicles, try something like daemonic talons.
    Above all, keep your nerve. Use the terrain, take the casualties you must, but stay focussed on the need to assault and press on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infiltrate or rhinoes for all you units, I favour infiltrate for the fluff reasons.
    Daemons also add a bit of speed, at least if they're summoned close to the enemy.

Too bad about the bikes, although I can imagine that they'd have problems with slime in the wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why can't bikers take MoN? I looked at it and it says " Bikers may take a mark of Chaos and 1 or more vet. skills"? although I guess it doesnt matter because I wouldnt take them anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kellster1
    why can't bikers take MoN? I looked at it and it says " Bikers may take a mark of Chaos and 1 or more vet. skills"? although I guess it doesnt matter because I wouldnt take them anyway
    Page 38 has a chart of what basic units can take what marks. The spot where "Chaos Bikes" and "Nurgle" meet is a "No".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for correcting me, never noticed that chart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    Page 38 has a chart of what basic units can take what marks. The spot where "Chaos Bikes" and "Nurgle" meet is a "No".
    Yeah. I dont have the CW book yet (getting that thursday) and i cant see warriors of Nurgle riding in on bikes. Unless, the bikes wer mutated to the riders to create a mutated diseased centaur with wheels instead of legs, but still have trouble seeing it.
    You know what would really be scary? Yeah. I know that you know that i know that you know that i know what i'm thinking:
    War Titans for 40k. Muahahahaha! They'd be like 50,000 points.
    (This rambling brought to you by too much Caffiene)
    -
    W/D/L
    Space Marines - 1/0/0
    Night Gobbos - 1/0/0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast