Drednought - point sink? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drednought - point sink?

Ideas please. I would like to buy one for my Night Lords army - use it as a fire magnet backed up with Demon Prince, to move heavy fire from my Raptor units.
    What do you think - is it worth the shot? If yes - what upgrades would you give to Dread? SO far I have stopped on Smoke Launchers, Extra Armor and Olazma cannon with Heravy Flamer upgrade.
    ANy ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

If you want it to be able to fire I'd recomend the Daemonic possession and if you want it to survive- the Mutated Hull. They are expensive but I found them both to be worth their points. I'm not to hot on the flamer though as it's more of a one shot thing.

If you are going to use it as a firemagnet-don't then get a Defiler instead. The amount of heavy fire being poured over that model is amazing. Give it Mt Hull and indirect fire, hide it and just watch how your opponent starts moving all his HS-units to get a clear shot. It truely strikes fear in the heart of the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Nah, go for it.

My Dread has a plasma cannon, mutated hull and smoke launchers. Takes a hell of a lot of stick before it falls on it's arse. Mine's not quite made it's points back yet, but I find it useful.

Quite hilarious when it fries your own troops.
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u want it to atract fire then i say give it a 2nd ccw & mutated hull. cheepish and it wont fry your own men and if it gets to CC it will be hell
    We fight the long war, not through vain notions of duty or honour, but through a far purer purpose: hatred.

I do what the voices tell me. :)

From now on we will ***k things up my way.

(ok nm any spellings that are wrong im not very good)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Concerning dreads and preds: I'm a fan of both d. possession and mutated hull, but not on the same model, due to the point cost. For a dread I really like mutated hull. Having 13 armor on the front and sides makes it difficult to kill. For vehicles with strong front armor and weak sides- like the predator, I tend to go with d. possession. For the longest time I put mutated hull on preds, but having 12 armor on its sides doesn't seem increase its staying power enough to justify it. I prefer d. possession on my preds, because it keeps them firing.

Defilers: This sucker truly is a fire magnet, but at 150 points (180 w/ mut hull), it seems alot to spend on a model just to take fire away from the rest of your army.

Consider the following (just a consideration): If you're going to make a magnet, then make it as cheap as possible, while still preserving it as a threat. Consider taking a predator w/ lascannon hull & heavy bolter sponson. This configuration raises alot of controversy, mainly due to the fact that it is not specialized and will never be as effecient as, let's say, a pred w/ autocannon hull & heavy bolter sponson or a predator mounted entirely w/ lascannons (bad choice IMO). However, you want to make sure your magnet does its job and is a threat to all your enemies. If, for example, you're going up against an armored company or monstrous creature build, they might ignore a predator designed to take out troops. The reverse applies with regard to swarms: They would ignore a vehicle designed entirely for tank killing.
    To sum up all this rambling: A predator that can take out both troops and vehicles poses a threat to every army out there.
    Last edited by Rabbit; October 18th, 2005 at 21:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

If you want it to be a magnet, the best bet is to give it an extra CC weapon and mutated hull, options for smoke and extra armor. This way its running at them, and if they try to close it will tear them apart. Best part with a dread for CC is when it rages into combat... lots of attacks tear those marine cans apart.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112
    If you want it to be a magnet, the best bet is to give it an extra CC weapon and mutated hull, options for smoke and extra armor. This way its running at them, and if they try to close it will tear them apart. Best part with a dread for CC is when it rages into combat... lots of attacks tear those marine cans apart.
    I like this dread, but it does not pose a threat to genestealers. Maybe no one else faces a genestealer army, but I do.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I like this dread, but it does not pose a threat to genestealers. Maybe no one else faces a genestealer army, but I do
    Just give him the Tzeentchian Warpflame and voilá- a major threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Dreadnoughts with CCW are excellent fire magnets, your opponent will see them charging (I prefer the Destroyer Upgrade from the book of Khorne or a warp amp from slaanesh and blasphemous rune), and do everything he can to make sure it doesn't enter melee.

Personally, I treat Dreadnoughts the same way I treat monsterous creatures, both when they're in my army and when I'm facing them. They basically are monsterous creatures, like a daemon prince or hive tyrant (maybe not as powerful), they just happen to have an armor value instead of wounds and toughness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    Just give him the Tzeentchian Warpflame and voilá- a major threat.
    No, no, I understand boydgarrett, and there is no way that Causicating Flame would do anything. I played a genestealer heavy 'Nid army all summer, taking a Dread was suicide. Even with the Flame, it only took out like 4 out of the 12 'Stealer unit. And that isnt nearly what I paid for the Dread.

As for the fire magnet, I say take a Defiler with indirect fire, if they are afraid of it, it'll soak up A LOT of fire on the first turn, and if it doesnt die then the second turn will b shooting at it too. And if he doesnt see it as a threat, he will very quickly.

-Centum
    You Can't Stop the Eighp

Had Tzeentch before I knew how to play :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast