Talons vs Mutation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talons vs Mutation

Ok for me the the best upgrades for possessed are Mutation & Talons. I would rather have a bolt pistol then Fire, Visage depends on the army your fighting and Flight costs to much for a 1500 pt game. Now for Mutation you get +1 A for 10 pts. For Talons you get +1 A, when you roll to hit a 6 = 1W no armour save, if you roll a 6 in armour penetration add an extra D6. All for 5 pts and no extra ccw.
    Am i missing something here because i have seen people say Mutation over Talons???
    So what one would you take then?? and please dont say it depends on bla bla bla ect....
    i already know that ^_^

We fight the long war, not through vain notions of duty or honour, but through a far purer purpose: hatred.

I do what the voices tell me. :)

From now on we will ***k things up my way.

(ok nm any spellings that are wrong im not very good)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

D. mutation preserves the ranged fire of the b. pistol, and though this is small, it is something. I used talons for a while in my 1500 death guard build, but they never could reach the enemy with any numbers. Talons is really good w/ Slaanesh. With Khorne, howerver, I prefer mutation, because I can still equip them with the chain ax. Statistically, the chain ax will total more kills -vs- 3+ armies, than talons. This being said, I like talons as well, because they are cheaper and more well-rounded. I guess this didn't answer your question, but at least it's something.
    Last edited by Rabbit; October 19th, 2005 at 22:17.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

The mutated possessed of Khorne do have 5 S5Chainaxe attacks on the charge, and possibly a boltpistol shot before them, so with Khorne I agree with boyd. That's a wicked combo. On most other armies though I think the talons are "the best". But wings are cooler (you see boyd, I'm like loosing up now )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by boydgarrett
    D. mutation preserves the ranged fire of the b. pistol, and though this is small, it is something. I used talons for a while in my 1500 death guard build, but they never could reach the enemy with any numbers. Talons is really good w/ Slaanesh. With Khorne, howerver, I prefer mutation, because I can still equip them with the chain ax. Statistically, the chain ax will total more kills -vs- 3+ armies, than talons. This being said, I like talons as well, because they are cheaper and more well-rounded. I guess this didn't answer your question, but at least it's something.
    The other great thing about Mutation is it allows you to kit your Champion for that group with either a Powerweapon or Powerfist. Talons doesn't allow you this, and you're relying upon the luck of the dice more than anything. Power weapons/fists are reliable - Rending is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

powerweapons i can see the point of but powerfists i carnt. against men a powerweapon would be better i think. if your against a tank 1) why are your possessed fightin a tank and not men. 2) you have a 1 in 6 chance of rollin a 6 for penetration.
    We fight the long war, not through vain notions of duty or honour, but through a far purer purpose: hatred.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

Powerfist do instakill T4 opponents, and that could be considered as both fun and effective. They also tend to work well when fighting dreads and other big guys*.

*I'm not being a sexist here, you could also use it to slay huge women and wrathbone-constructs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possessed are S 5 so a powerfist kills T 5 ppl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Slaanesh Daemon Prince
    possessed are S 5 so a powerfist kills T 5 ppl.
    They're strength five because of the Daemonic Strength upgrade. It can be argued that they're actually strength 4+1, so would end up being strength 9 with the Powerfist.

But it's still super fun to smash Marines into itty bitty pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Ah the power fist debate. My understanding is a power doubles the models base strength thus ... (4X2)+1, as Caluin mentioned 9. As for Talons vs mutations, i bring it down to squad vs individual. For a squad (such as possessed) I take talons, for an individual (aspiring champion, LT,lord) I would prefer mutation (although i rarely use it). Are there times when i feel its worth it to put mutation on the possessed, absolutely, my particular preference is no though.

The classic statement, what role is it trying to fit in your army. Would i give my squad talons and go after a landraider? only in case of emergency... hopefully i have some other way to handle that landraider so that my talon squad can assault the meaty tin cans inside.

Now would i let my Lord/LT with Daemonic Str, and a power fist detach and try to pop the Landraider with an extra attack from Daemonic mutation? Yea I'd probably do that, 3 base, 1 for charge, 1 extra CC 1 mutation...6 attacks. I'd go for that. but only if i have a way to block him from being isolated and lascannoned to death.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Slaanesh Daemon Prince
    powerweapons i can see the point of but powerfists i carnt. against men a powerweapon would be better i think. if your against a tank 1) why are your possessed fightin a tank and not men. 2) you have a 1 in 6 chance of rollin a 6 for penetration.
    If you are playing khorne, you never know when you possessed squad will decide to charge a Dreadnough or an Eldar Walker (I don't know their name). When this will happen, you'll be happy to have at least some krack grenades. The powerfist will increase you chance of survival against something like this.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast