Rhino or infiltration ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Rhino or infiltration ?

Hi, I'm trying to figure something here.

Question :
    Put in a chaos army context, do you prefer Rhino or infiltration for your troops ?

My Answer :
    I will put my Close combat squads in rhino as they will get close-up and personnal faster than with infiltration (2 turns instead of 3). Infiltration is, IMHO, best used with shooty squads. You can deploy them a 18" of you opponent and be in range to shoot in the first turn.

How do you use those options ?

MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I think most people in 4th edition would say infiltrate.

- Its not very risky. Rhino rushes were simply shut down in 4th edition so your troops won't be riding in death coffins.

- Most mission have infiltrate so you will get good use out of it.

- Setting up after the enemy has some great advantages both tacticaly and strateicaly.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I like having my rhinos, mainly because they come with Havoc launchers for extra template weapons. however, i am starting to utilize infiltrate a little more, mainly because i find myself deploying outside of the vehicles anyway
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

i would say infiltrate, you place your troops last. placing last has a large advantage, you can see were your oppanants weak spot is and can exploit it thorughly. shooty squads and choppy squads in unison. Rhinos are good to support these areas, rushing troops across the board from were there not needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Infiltrate works for me too. Rhino's are simply too risky.

Rhino's were always touch and go as to whether they would make it across the board in time, but the whole point was to be able to get out and assault really, and with the added danger that troops can be trapped or even killed inside them, they've become death traps.

Now that the ability to assault straight out of a Rhino has been taken away, the Rhino is nothing more than a pretty expensive shield. OK, it can be mounted with a havoc launcher... but the points saved by not taking 2 Rhino's fitted with havocs is enough to but another squad of infiltrating troops.

True, you might get there in 2 turns as opposed to 3.... but the key point there is 'might get there'

Wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

And more importantly Rhinos aren't scoring units which just won't justify takeing them over infiltrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

If you take several rhinos, however, the chances are that they will work much more effectively. Unless your opponent has lascannons and missile launchers coming out of his ears, he's unlikely to target his entire arsenal on some rhinos, especially if he doesn't know what's inside (make sure you do though.. if neccesary, write it down so noone can accuse you of cheating.)

In short, rhinos can work well, just make sure they have some support.

I've never regretted taking mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like infiltration better, currently i'm working on an all infiltration AL army, it's shaping up well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

This last week I decided to drop my rhino's and add another squads, with all my troops choices having inflitrate. I will definitely admit, it threw off my regular opponents as little bit. Just by having that 1 extra squad it meant another scoring unit, and forcing my opponent to split their fire. I still did manage to work my havoc launcher into my list (just can't bring myself to let them go yet)

Turned out by the way that by dropping 2 rhinos (havoc launcher, smoke, extra armor, pindle flamer) i still have some points left over after adding another 8 CSM squad with inflitrate....sweet
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

jtm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like to use both.

Infiltration has it's up and downs, you may not be able to use it depending on the setting, it's not all that great in certain scenarios, and it really depends on the size of the board. If you play on somewhat small boards 18 inches away can mean you're up against the edges or angled all weird. Opponents also seem to concentrate firepower when there is squads more or less in their face. I prefer it for shooty squads, infiltrate them into some cover or a decent vantage point and let them shoot away.

Rhinoes are a mixed bag, they have crappy armor, next to no weapons (at least you don't feel bad moving 12), but they move your troops faster. The big thing here is that your squad can't be harmed (unless it explodes and you roll a lot of 4+ and then fail your saves...) by shooting, which means your close combat squad will have more people to start an assault with. Rhinoes offer cover as well, you can use them to break up the opponents army, use them to block line of sight, and be a general annoyance. I find that the key with rhinoes is have more than one, you want target saturation. Give your opponent hard choices, does he want to shoot at some rhinoes, or possibly take out that predator/dread/defiler, or maybe concentrate on those squads that infiltrated? It's similar to space marine land speeders in a sense, they have horrible armor, but they don't need it because people don't shoot at them very often, they have bigger things to worry about.
    I can read now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast