Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Daemons?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Rabbit 
#1 ·
Greetings,
I use an undivided Black Legion army with lots of marines terminators etc but nothing really that you wouldnt see in a typical space marine army(no greater daemons, obliterators etc) I have a unit of Bloodletters but they are overkill against IG so im wondering what daemons would be the best choice? I mostly play Marines,Guard,Tau and Nids.

:alien:

#2 ·
Against tau i would have thought that furies would be a good idea- getting into combat quickly and all. I would have thiought that they could be alright against guard as well, but I have never played with chaos, let alone any demons or any furies. Nids I think you probably want a counter charge or speedbump demon unit.

Sorry I can't be more help.

#3 ·
I'd say if you think BL are overkill, try daemonettes - they're good in combat, have a solid number of attacks, are versatile because of their daemonic talons, and aren't too much of a points sink - and their strength 4 makes them a nasty surprise against guard. Plus they have that all important invulnerable, for extra protection against all the heavy weapons you will be facing.
For nids, daemonettes will suffice, but maybe try horrors/flamers instead. Their shooting gives them an obvious advantage over the little CC hordes, and a few flamers can lay the hurt onto big things too, ESPECIALLY warriors, seeing as their save is the same as doombolt's AP.
Furies are a great idea - they are a cheap, solid daemon, with good strength and number of attacks, and good speed, and will beat up most tau, guard, even SM units in CC, and are more than a match for termagants or possibly hormagaunts, and can even give small warrior broods a run for their money.

LoC

#4 ·
I'd say either flamers/horros for the same reason's LoC has already said.
But perhaps you might wanna try plaguebearers, they have a godo thoughness so they can take a beating and are still good in cc thanks to their ability even against high thoughness monsters.

#5 · (Edited)
Marines - Bloodletters

Guard - Flesh Hounds

Tau - Flesh Hounds

Nids - Can't say I play against nids often. However. furies are probably a good idea as they could be used to reinforce other units

Personally I almost always take some flesh hounds in my Black Legion, so thats my suggestion if your always going to use the same list.

#6 ·
Bloodletters: As impending slaughter said, these daemons are best used against marines. I'd like to generalize that a bit, and say they are best against all 3+ armies. They are most point effective against Necron, because of Necron's low init. Also, Bloodletters strip Necrons of the 'we'll be back rolls.' An 8 man bloodletter squad should take down 8 Necron around, which makes them well worth their points.

Plaguebearers: Best used against monstrous creatures, due to daemonic venom (always wounds on a 4+). However, the lack of power weapons makes their offense someone to be desired. They have more staying power than daemonettes, but not as much as bloodletters. Typically, they are best against non-3+ armies, whence their attacks are more likely to stick. The good thing is that they are cheap. However, I never use them. They just don't have the punch or the staying poiwer.

Horror/Flamers: The best daemon against Nids are horror/flamers...hands down. Flamers are the meat of this particular daemon squad, while horrors are there to soak up wounds. A good ratio is 2-3 horros for 3-5 flamers. I prefer having 2/5 or 3/4. Against horde armies (such as bugs/oks) these daemons are dual purposed: One, they reduce numbers through their ranged attacks; and two, they function as speedbumps (2 wounds) They are expensive, but they have two wounds, so they last a while. Flamers are one of those daemons that look questionable on paper, but against Nids they are a pretty good asset. They are also good against Orks, I.G., and Eldar.

Daemonettes: These girls are probably the most effective daemons for their point cost. Use them primarily against vehicles and expensive elites. Typically, they don't make good troop replacements (unlike bloodletters), because Daemonettes have no staying power, thus, they are usually wiped out entirely after the round they are summoned; but don't worry, because they should have taken out the most expensive models in your opponent's army. For 90 points for 6 daemonettes, they should always take out their point cost. For me, they nearly always double their point cost. In most battles six is sufficient, unless you are using them against basic troops, in which case eight or ten is more suitable.

Nurglings: A good speed bump against Nids. You really need 5 nurglings per 500 points in order to make them effective. They are surprisingly decent against eldar (3 toughness in general). Most players stay away from them, if only because of their limited application in an army. Against Tau, Marines, & Necron, these cute little blobs just don't do much.

Furies: Best against ranged armies that you have trouble getting into c.c. against. I prefer them to flesh hounds, because furies are cheaper and acheive essentially the same result. Use them gainst I.G. & Tau. They can do well against Marines, but I'm always hesistant due to their weak defense. Yes, furies strike first, but marines have the superior armor save.

I've left off Flesh hounds and Screamers, because I've not used them enough to comment.

#7 ·
A lot of people have sais it already, but those Flamers are great.
The ammount of heavy fire you get from theese daemons are amazing.
I usually field 8 flamers and one horror in a pack against Tau that is an overkill unit.
They eat one squad a turn. Unleashing their fire will (in general) take ten friewarriors from the board:) and as they are far from the most common of daemons (where I play) that could be quite a surprise.

Oh, they are great fun to paint too. This is even more true for the Horrors, but that's about their only quality:(

#8 ·
I would say flamers (or horrors, whichever is the upgraded one) would be good....the ones that can shoot the doombolt without a phycic test....THATS an infantry killer....probably tau

#9 ·
I have played a lot of Tyranid in the past 4 months, and we have always had friendly games, and talked about the units our armies fear the most and what not... and he told me that he hates Blood Letters, with their Str5 Cleaving goodness. And then the 3+/5+ Sv is a bonus. So I would have to put my money in either Bloodletters or Flamers for the previously stated reasons.

-Centum

#10 ·
Centum said:
I have played a lot of Tyranid in the past 4 months, and we have always had friendly games, and talked about the units our armies fear the most and what not... and he told me that he hates Blood Letters, with their Str5 Cleaving goodness. And then the 3+/5+ Sv is a bonus. So I would have to put my money in either Bloodletters or Flamers for the previously stated reasons.

-Centum
Bloodletters can really lay into bugs, like you said. However, they'll never make back their points if the Tyranid player is using an all genestealer build.

#11 ·
boydgarrett said:
Bloodletters can really lay into bugs, like you said. However, they'll never make back their points if the Tyranid player is using an all genestealer build.
Something else just occured to me about nids: you could use plaugebearers because they have nurgle's rot. Should be effective against large swarms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.