Taking the Plunge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking the Plunge

Greetings to all who respond, and thank you for your time.

I have finally decided, after a long flirtation with the hobby, to learn how to play Warhammer 40K, as well as how to paint my own army. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Since this is the Chaos forum, it should be obvious that I'm starting with Chaos as my very first army.

I have always had a soft spot for the Chaos army. Ever since reading the old Codex Chaos with the Noise Marines, I've liked the buggers. There's just something about evil men in power suits with giant electric guitars.

Oh, and demons. Don't forget the Demons.

But I digress.

I am looking for some advice on which would be the appropriate models to start with a core army. I currently have 1 Chaos space marine squad and 1 chaos space marine lord. I also have coming a squad of Nurgle death guard, since I'm planning to go with a Nurgle theme to start out with. Should I just break down and spend the $150 on the box of chaos, or build from a small base and expand as I see fit? Once I get comfortable with the Death Guard, I plan to move into Alpha Legion, Night Lords, and of course, Slannesh Noise Marines.

Thanks for your time.

Nathan
    Ayerth@hotmail.com

Last edited by AnimeNathan; November 15th, 2005 at 03:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Since your planning on expanding your army. I suggest starting off with a black legion. Or at least an army of your own using BL rules. This way you can field noise marines along side nurgle marines, along side some raptors (the core of NL armies), and infiltrating squads. You can try out all of them, experimenting with tactics and what not. This way you can find out for certain which specific theme you like, specific units you like, and what background is best for you, or if your happy with a mix.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Yup, numberofthebeastxxx is right. you should go for the men in black if you feel uncertain about what army to field. With them you can have it all, and change between games.
    If this is what you decide to do I would really recomend the Box. The bigger the better- take the one with the Defiler and you'll save yourself quite some money.
    Welcome to the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

The best piece of advice I can give is to read the Codex. Time, and time again - read the Codex. Understand how it works.

After that, build a few lists. Try to get a feel for how the troops work with each - what upgrades are good, what are bad. There are some great Tacticas posted - if you get the time, read over the ones that interest you.

When you think you have the list you want to play, post it up on LO in the Army List subforum. Give it a few days while people peruse over it and offer suggestions. LO is blessed with some wonderful Chaos players. Listen to what they say, but remember that in the end it is your list after all.

You want to do all that before you invest into too many models. It does you little good to buy a whole bunch of models only to change your list entirely. Start on the core units first - basic troops, some armed with Bolt Pistols/CCW, some armed with Bolters.

We look forward to seeing you around. Welcome to the Eye of Terror. You'll find it isn't as bad as the Loyalists make it out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I think Caluin's advice is probably the best anybody could give (as usual). But I'd like to add that if you want to get into the hobby, go to your local gaming store and get to know the people there. There's a huge social aspect to Warhammer 40k (just look at all the people on this forum, we love to talk about it and share it with others). And getting involved with that will help you get started as well.

Also, try a few friendly, proxy games... maybe borrow some models from a friend and/or use some unused bases with bits of paper on them (to define what they're supposed to be). You'll learn a lot doing that and figure out what units you like and which ones you don't.

But above all have fun with it, it's a game. Chaos is probably the most fun of all the armies... at least I think so.

+ Reply to Thread