Beating Alpha Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating Alpha Legion

I've been playing against a friend who uses Alpha Legion, and he destroys me almost every game. I'm looking for some general tips. Both of our army lists change almost game to game, and I play Lost and the Damned, Black Legion, and Word Bearers. I think sometimes that Alpha Legion is very much superior in almost every way to Black Legion, like an upgrade from vanilla to vanilla plus cheap infiltration. Usually I'm facing at least 40 infiltrating cultists, lots of infiltrating power armor (tactical and havocs), usually no vehicles.
    Anyways, if any of you play regularly against Alpha Legion, suggest or explain some of tactics you use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Come get some, cultist scum!

I'm surprised that the inflitrating is hurting you that much, considering that the three army choices you mentioned for yourself can all be beasts in HtH, which your opponent is helping you get to, by infiltrating all his cultists. If he was infilrating his CSM squads to set up last at get the best firing positions it might be different, but cultists are made for getting into hth, or at best blowing up vehicles with grenades.

Maybe its the models you're fielding? I mean, since you know that he's going to be infiltrating nearer to you, maybe you should focus more on HtH style units?

For example, with a troop heavy word bearer list with a ton of plague bearer squads, I think T5, nurgles rot inflicting daemons would have a field day shredding his cultists.

As for black legion, yes you don't get any special rules, but you can take everything on the Chaos lists, so again, daemons and CSM, with a mark or without, tooled up for HtH should have fun.

As for LATD, mutants cost as much as his cultists point for point and have a better toughness and save, so should win hths with his cultists, to say nothing of neat units like chaos spawn, a full unit of which can dish out a max of 35 STR5 attacks on a charge, (usually around 16-18 a round in a sustained fight, but they remain STR5) which should mop the floor with his cultists.

Basically you've got to make his strengths work for you.

As for his infiltrating CSM units, if they're hanging back and shooting, that could be a problem, but as long as you're in HtH with any of his units that infiltrated forward to assault you, he can't fire at you.

I'd focus on special weapons rather than heavy, as you're going to have to be moving in order to get into hth, so you're not going to want very many(if any) units that sit still and shoot, daemons for the extra distance that they can get, and numbers. If you're playing Word Bearers or Black Legion he's probably going to outnumber you, so you've got to let this gap not grow too great. Even basic CSM will be rocking versus his cultists, even if they charge, so you'll have the superiority in skill, but you've got to make sure that he doesn't outnumber you too much, or he'll be able to outmanuver you. For this reason I wouldn't take too many vehicles except for maybe a Dreadnought or Defiler, as once again, you want to be in HtH, and with infiltrating havoks, he'll probably be able to pot any main line tanks that you field.
    Last edited by Grey; December 3rd, 2005 at 07:04.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certain demons give you an edge against Alpha Legion in particular Furies and Flesh Hounds, they are cheap, fast and will tear cultists and marines to shreds. All 3 armies can use them in particular Word Bearers.

With LATD you can grab a hellhound or 2 as they are very good as they have a kickass flamer and pretty much negates the cover that the Alpha Legion will be gravitating to, however you will have to position them away from the shooting marines or you could just consider the good old russ with heavy bolters all round which can cripple a cultist squad every turn and use its battle cannon while still being able to fend off alot of fire. CC traitor squads with a stubber and close combat weapons will end any cultists day and they are cheap. Lots of mutants can beat cultists and marines especially if they are upgraded with 'bloated'.
    "Battlecannon shells are falling on my head but that doesn't mean i soon will be dead nannanana" A tribute to that terminator sweet 2+ save.

And then there as those days when it gets hosed down with some plasma.......as it happened today damn you tau crisis suits!! :mad:

Senior Member impending slaughter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Black Legion = Versatility

Alpha Legion = Infiltrating

OK I play Black Legion mechanised infantry. I've played against Alpha Legion 3 times. I drew first time and won the last two times once I realised some things. Heres how:

1. The Bloodthirster - If your not using this guy why not? On the charge he will beat anything in the AL list. Keep some fire support nearby if your going to tackle large units of cultists, cos thirsty will get tied up otherwise.

2. Speed - Alpha Legion is not fast, they are slow. They create the illusion of speed via infiltrate. If you have bikes / rhinos you can redeploy and wear them down with mobile fire power - theirs is lame

3. Ordanance - I don't own a defiler myself I borrowed it from a friend. This pwns swarms. Nuff said. Take 2 if you can

4. Most AL armies go totally overkill on infiltrate. They rarely include vehicles. Use this to your advantage. Take anti-troop CSM squads (5 marines 1 heavy weapon) if you can

5. Don't overlook nurglings or plaugemarines. Nurglings make cheap cannon fodder and can tie up elite units easily if your opponent has them. Plaugemarines do the same but can also wear down swarms in cc if they are already weakened by heavy weapons fire

Now the golden rule: THIN THE SWARMS! You don't need to wipe out units before they reach your line, just make sure they don't reach your line at full strength. That way the above tactics will all work better

Hope this helps
    Last edited by impending slaughter; December 3rd, 2005 at 15:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take a squad or two of khorne beserkers with feel no pain, this will carve though those cultists, 4 attacks on the charge each, and can soak up a fair bit of fire power with feel no pain
    The saddest Irony of mankind is that in a universe poised to destroy him at every corner, in a world where his only friend is his brother, he is as likely to turn his weapon upon his fellow brothers as on his enemy!!!!!

That doesn't bother me, as long as blood flows for KHORNE
    !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play alpha legion and what chaos without backstabbing!!!!

Take plasma guns andi haven't got a codex but i know SM can use auspexs i think chaos have something like this, when SM players use them i generally lose a member or two from each squad before the game start. Other than that Alpha legion hates ordiance cause of the cultists, take a defiler if u can.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kharns_Brother
    I would take a squad or two of khorne beserkers with feel no pain
    Feel no pain is only available to lords, lieutenants and aspiring champions.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos'_Shadow_Warriors
    Take plasma guns andi haven't got a codex but i know SM can use auspexs i think chaos have something like this, when SM players use them i generally lose a member or two from each squad before the game start.
    Chaos doesn't use Auspexes, or anything like them.

That being said, there is no reason what so ever that you should ever fear an Auspex. The chances of one actually ever working is not very high. Roll 4D6 for awhile and see how many times you actually come up with a value of 19 or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

The way i previously beat Alpha legion was a slow withdraw tactic. In a RT with the deployment triangles I had a marine heavy list backed by 1 Defiler and my havocs with 4 heavy Bolters. I also had 2 havoc squads full with plasma guns.

After deployment I had first turn and began a slow withdraw into my corner. This way i was able to focus the Heavy bolters on the Cultists, and the Plasma weapons rapid firing on the marines. Then i counter attack with 2 CSM squads of 9 with 2 melta guns. Oblits deep struck behind his main line. This tactic ended the game by turn 4.

Will it work every time, no, but the list was very effective vs a over anxious Alpha legion player with all marines and cultists.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

+ Reply to Thread