Alpha legion help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha legion help

Just a quick question from a newbi, is it worth it having tanks in a Alpha legion army, and any tactics for them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Well just like any other army a little armored support or even a transport (orks). So yes you should have one but i think the idea of cultists is really cool you know traitors lead by space marines. So yeah if you go this route the traitors would either have lots or very frw tanks. But if you play an sm iron warriors army go with the defiler the battle cannon is awsome. Unfortunetly space marine armies cant include a battle cannon. Use it to take out large units with good saves such as 4 or 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Since alpha legion allows your troop to infiltrate at a lesser cost, the idea of using infiltrating havocs instead of heavy support vehicle is quite seducing. But a vehicle is always a good way to distract your opponent from higher cost units. Also, even if your units can infiltrate, it's always good to have some rhinos, as it increase the flexibility of your army. It's interresting to see that most players can't choose between firing at your infiltrator or at your Rhinos coming in a frontal assault, it seems to be quite disturbing.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

I have to agree with Mindraked. Alpha legion is similiar to D.G. in that they really prosper with more troops. It's hard to justify (though not impossible) taking expensive vehicles with A.L. simply because A.L. has 'Walmart' prices on infiltrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

In agreement with the above posters, Rhino's do have additional uses. I have found sometimes its easier to deploy a Rhino behind a piece of terrain that blocks line of site. Often you can use Rhino's to manuever a squad into a good firing hole without having to walk there. Also why not use the Rhino as bait? Stick it out there, convert it to look all nasty and people will shoot at it instead of your squad.

Another option is the Rhino with a Havoc launcher. even against marines its often worth while and can make its points back pretty quickly. Need shoot an Ork truck? use a havoc launcher its worth a shot, kill those nids faster, havocs provide template hits at AP 6... nid guants die fast. want to shoot into terrain where your opponent has a cover save and has bunched his figures together? shoot the havoc he'll fail saves.

It surprises me how many opponents will shoot my CSM squad of 9 marines with a lascannon instead of shooting my rhino which is worth more points...
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

MouseC112,

I understand that you are a fan of Havoc Launchers . I'm also, but I usualy mount them on Dreadnoughts, as when it goes fire frenzy, you can shoot 4 blast templates.
    Last edited by MindRaked; December 7th, 2005 at 15:27.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Can't really argue with that one Mindraked, that would also allow you to keep moving and firing... think might have to use that this weekend
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I think the key to win with any Chaos army is to go with their strenghts, if you play Khorne it's close combat, Thousand sons-use magic, Iron Warriors-Heavy support and Obliterators and if it's Alpha Legion one should Infiltrate.
    So my vote goes on Infiltrate before Rhinos. 2 Rhinos is one unit worth of points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    I think the key to win with any Chaos army is to go with their strenghts, if you play Khorne it's close combat, Thousand sons-use magic, Iron Warriors-Heavy support and Obliterators and if it's Alpha Legion one should Infiltrate.
    So my vote goes on Infiltrate before Rhinos. 2 Rhinos is one unit worth of points.
    Makes sense. Infiltrat is a major part of alot of armies, and when considering the reduced cost for alpha legion it just makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks alot, that tip on the havoc launcher on a dread is great, i used it in a friendly battle against IG and it tore through 3 squads of guardsman during the game.

+ Reply to Thread