Chaos Spawn? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chaos Spawn?

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Spawn?

hey guys,

I'm new to chaos, and am getting an army for xmas (but I'm not supposed to know that yet ) Anyway, I had a few questions

Firstly, I would like to take chaos spawns in my Khorne Berzerker squads, but I was wondering, are they affected by blood frenzy if they're wargear for an Aspiring Champion who is?

Also, I had a modeling question about them, the Chaos codex describes them as unfortunate people, a comrade who went insane or a victim who has been Chaosed into insanity. Either way, they seem like they shoud... you know... people or at least resemble people. But GW's model looks more like an amorphous blob imho. Wouldn't it make more sense if it was a humanoid looking thing with extraneous limbs or no head or something goofy like that? Or perhaps it would look more like a demonhost

this is the picture of gw's spawn

but this is more of what I imagined it to be from the description

wouldn't it make more sense that it looks like the 2nd one? Do you think it would be ok if I used a demonhost instead of a spawn model? (demonhosts also aren't $25 a piece)

also, one final question, if a lord is mounted on a bike and has a chaos hound, and turboboosts, does the hound still move the full 24"? It obviously wouldn't get the invul save, but it's still a perplexing question.

thanks

"And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the physical appearance of a chaos spawn would vary so much that you can pretty much use anything that looks sufficiently mutated and crazy. The first thing I thought of from your suggestion if you want an idea was an Imperial Guardsmen with large spikey mutated arm things coming out of where the head would normally be! Lol that would be awesome!
    Psychic-Construct of the Codex necromancers design team
    Books of the Imperium;
    29. Thou shalt not use they bolter to kill bees.
    74. Thy shalt not tip the Terminators over during battle.
    Codex Necromancers:
    http://www.freewebs.com/fortyk/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPACMARINE
    I think the physical appearance of a chaos spawn would vary so much that you can pretty much use anything that looks sufficiently mutated and crazy. The first thing I thought of from your suggestion if you want an idea was an Imperial Guardsmen with large spikey mutated arm things coming out of where the head would normally be! Lol that would be awesome!

actually, I was considering just taking a guardsmen and breaking it's head off and gluing it to it's behind, then glueing an arm coming out of it's head and maybe one coming out of it's knees, but that would look kinda retarded... or hilarious, I haven't decided yet.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"

my armies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubernyaw
    Firstly, I would like to take chaos spawns in my Khorne Berzerker squads, but I was wondering, are they affected by blood frenzy if they're wargear for an Aspiring Champion who is?
    Chaos FAQ
    That'll answer your question. Chaos Spawn are indeed effected by the bonus movement.

Wouldn't it make more sense if it was a humanoid looking thing with extraneous limbs or no head or something goofy like that? Or perhaps it would look more like a demonhost
    You can't trying applying sense to Chaos. That defeats the entire purpose of Chaos. However, the Daemonhost model would make for an appropriate Chaos Spawn, IMO. Just be sure to mount it on the same sized base as the normal model, and I think you should be just fine.

also, one final question, if a lord is mounted on a bike and has a chaos hound, and turboboosts, does the hound still move the full 24"? It obviously wouldn't get the invul save, but it's still a perplexing question.
    Not perplexing at all, really. The Hound description specifically states that the Chaos Hounds will always keep up with their master, so can indeed travel the speed of a Turbo Boost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Also, I had a modeling question about them, the Chaos codex describes them as unfortunate people, a comrade who went insane or a victim who has been Chaosed into insanity. Either way, they seem like they shoud... you know... people or at least resemble people. But GW's model looks more like an amorphous blob imho. Wouldn't it make more sense if it was a humanoid looking thing with extraneous limbs or no head or something goofy like that? Or perhaps it would look more like a demonhost
    Actually, if you look very closely at the Chaos Spawn model, you will find bits and pieces of it's once humanoid form. From the picture you posted, you can see the upper-half of a human head on the top of it, right around the middle spiked arm thing. (not the face on the base, one on the actual model). On the back of the chaos spawn (if I remember correctly, don't really use them myself), are a few human limbs entwined in the bulk of the creature. It also depends a lot on how you paint the model as well, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think the idea is that, although a spawn was once human, it may well have lost every trace of his human form and sanity. The mutating powers of chaos gone awry can easily devolve a human into a writhing pile of goo.. However, anything goes really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    I think the idea is that, although a spawn was once human, it may well have lost every trace of his human form and sanity. The mutating powers of chaos gone awry can easily devolve a human into a writhing pile of goo.. However, anything goes really.
    the only problem with that is that it's just about the most vague... ever. Like, there isn't even a defined shape to these guys! If I was a real jerk, I could use the trees that came with my friend's tau battleforce and say that Khorne saw fit to transform this unfortunate guardsmen/slave/magic talking microwave into a tree... I think I might try that actually

for my spawn I think I'm just going to take a guards' torso and legs, and then glue random extra arms (and possibly a few genestealer arms... those would look pretty sweet) coming out of his lower side so he'd look like Goro from Mortal Kombat... oh and I'd put his a bunch of gs in the head socket and make a really long neck for him so it looks even more over chaosed.

my armies

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

the only problem with that is that it's just about the most vague... ever. Like, there isn't even a defined shape to these guys! If I was a real jerk, I could use the trees that came with my friend's tau battleforce and say that Khorne saw fit to transform this unfortunate guardsmen/slave/magic talking microwave into a tree... I think I might try that actually

for my spawn I think I'm just going to take a guards' torso and legs, and then glue random extra arms (and possibly a few genestealer arms... those would look pretty sweet) coming out of his lower side so he'd look like Goro from Mortal Kombat... oh and I'd put his a bunch of gs in the head socket and make a really long neck for him so it looks even more over chaosed.
    One of the appeals of the chaos spawn model is that it is purely biomorphic...with a hint of human origins. It's very psychologically disturbing, which is brought on by the lack of defined familiarity.

+ Reply to Thread